Model 3 Performance without Performance Upgrade

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am considering buying the Performance version of the M3 but I was just wondering if anybody is buying it without the performance upgrade? And if so, is it a money thing or some other reasons? I am on the fence right now. I currently have an LR AWD configured but i can still edit it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My friend at work is. He originally ordered AWD, but then switched to Performance when Tesla dropped the price and unbundled the Performance Upgrade package. I think it was a combination of getting the car earlier and the price drop that convinced him to switch.

I ordered the PUP, because YOLO. :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
M3P is tempting because you hear how sick it is.. and let’s be honest, it is! However I’m never gonna take it to a drag racing strip and I don’t want to become one of those highway hazard, lane swerving people who endanger themselves and others (by no means inferring performance = dangerous driver). The dual motor non-P has plenty of get up and go, along with more than adequate handling while providing the extra performance/safety in inclement weather. Winner winner chicken dinner for my lifestyle and choices. I’ll never go 145mph, let alone 155mph.

All that being said, you do you!

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am considering buying the Performance version of the M3 but I was just wondering if anybody is buying it without the performance upgrade? And if so, is it a money thing or some other reasons? I am on the fence right now. I currently have an LR AWD configured but i can still edit it.
General consensus is that the performance upgrade package is mostly for aesthetics, with slight increase in performance if you really need the extra milliseconds and cornering. For general usage you should be more than satisfied with the Performance Model 3.

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I ordered P without PUO. The brakes are the only thing that interest me. However they are unnecessary for me as I won’t track the car. Rather get different rims aftermarket, spoiler $200 aftermarket, aluminum pedals $50 aftermarket if you care about those. I think $5k is steep for what is essentially aesthetics like Gavyne said. Just my opinion.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Personally got P3D with Aeros, the 20” rims look fine but didn’t want 20” rims and prefer to find something after market. Spoiler and pedals can be done relatively cheap as well

systemBuilder

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just changed my order to a P without the PUO. I am nervous and very happy all at the same time.
I struggled with this question for a long time. You can upgrade the front brake rotors for $1350. And, you can get MUCH lighter 20" wheels and tires for about $3000. That will create a car that's faster than a P3D+ (although the top-speed will be software-limited to 145mph). I bought the 155mph P3D+ partly because I am assuming that if Tesla ever offers a ludicrous+ upgrade or uncorking or whatnot, it will be offered to P3D+ owners - maybe exclusively. Do I need any of this? No. Do I want all of this? Hell yes!

Most of all, I want a EV that can put gas-wasting ICE-aholics to shame and make them jealous!

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought the 155mph P3D+ just because I am assuming that if Tesla ever offers a ludicrous+ upgrade or uncorking or whatnot, it will be offered to P3D+ owners - maybe exclusively!
I have to admit - that was partially my reason for buying the top-end version of the car as well. :oops:

BallzOne

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I got the P without 20” wheels. I want the extra sidewall height for ride comfort. The 18” wheels have 4.2” sidewall and the 20’s have 3.2” sidewall, a 24% reduction.
I think Tyga says it best in “Rack City”; Too much rim make the ride too hard.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
to really unlock ride comfort you will need to replace those tires when they wear out. They are very hard high Fuel Economy Tires they are not built for Comfort or for quietness.
The Michelin Primacy MXM4 actually *is* built for both comfort and quietness. The version that Tesla uses also includes acoustic foam to further reduce road noise.

Here's a comparison of the MXM4 to three other brands of tires. Some select quotes from the comparison:
  • The Michelin Primacy MXM4 did a good job softening the sharp edge of abrupt impacts, feeling taut but not harsh.
  • The Primacy MXM4 also delivered the quietest ride of the group...
  • What We'd Improve: There's not much that needs improvement

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I switched my order from AWD to P- on Saturday. I'd prefer lightweight forged 19" wheels to the Tesla 20's. I do like the spoiler with red exterior, which is the color I ordered, but hope to get one via Tesla at some point or from a P+ owner that doesn't want theirs. I am also keeping an eye on mountain pass performance's brake kit and coilover options.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took delivery of mine last Friday, and while you guys can hope that the P3D+ gets the extra goodies later, it's unlikely you'll be the only ones.

My non-upgrade pack P has the free supercharging, so right there, we already have some evidence of the "upgrades exclusive to Performance" that come with the initial $11K upgrade, and not exclusive to the extra $5K..........

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We waited for the white interior, which was first offered only on the P3D. I was looking for comfort so I passed on the PUP and figured if I ever do decide to track the car I can always get bigger brakes and wheels and suspension mods. I’m intrigued by the track mode and happy with the purchase, but frankly would have been happy with just the AWD version. We got delivery Sunday and the silver and white combo looks and feels great. Wife is coming from a Lexus RX350 and she doesn’t mind a just slightly stiffer ride. She keeps it in Chill mode which still has good acceleration and makes it a regular car, but Sport Mode frankly drives mellow too until you punch it and the blood rushes to the back of your brain . Bottom line in my mind is that P3D is a luxury, you’re not getting that much more enjoyment or practicality than you would in an AWD, it’s more bragging rights

Attachments

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took delivery of mine last Friday, and while you guys can hope that the P3D+ gets the extra goodies later, it's unlikely you'll be the only ones.

My non-upgrade pack P has the free supercharging, so right there, we already have some evidence of the "upgrades exclusive to Performance" that come with the initial $11K upgrade, and not exclusive to the extra $5K..........
Free supercharging has no bearing on track mode. You need the supporting options for it. Especially the big breaks/rotors. You’ll see. ;)

RAS550

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I got the P without the upgrade pack. Three main reasons.

1) The range difference between the 20" and 18" is significant if you look at the EPA document and the data-backed analysis on one of the other threads. I make a lot of long road trips and a 20-30 mile difference in range is important to me and this is the single biggest reason for my decision.

2) I plan to take the car to Tahoe for ski trips and don't want to have to swap the summer Pilots to all season tires on day 1. Also the lower profile tires as great as they are for dry weather, they don't offer as much traction in the snow.

3) I don't love the looks of the 19 or 20" wheels. I don't dislike them but they don't loo great to me, and the cost of having to pay *anything* for them does not appeal to me.

The only thing I do like on the upgrade option that I'll miss is the upgraded brakes. As for the max speed, its just for bragging rights for most of us who won't ever use it. I can certainly live with *only* a 145 MPH top speed :) And the lowered suspension is supposed to have the same damping rates etc so I expect the difference in handling to be minimal (once I get UHP tires for the 18" wheels).