Model 3 Performance is just a software mod - no special motor burn in

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got my Model 3 performance a few weeks back.
Got it without the performance + mode pack, reason:

1/ those 20" wheels look the same as the 19", and I would rather be unique with after market rims.
2/ Don't need bigger breaks, they add weight and do NOT stop you any quicker, they just don't fade as quick when racing on a track, which face it non of us are doing. and more importantly you cannot fit stock 18" wheels over those calipers, so you cannot make use of the extra millage range on the stock wheels, but even more important for me get some snow tires with bigger side walls on an 18.
3/ Stick on spoiler is naf

Anyway, I read all the forums, asked the sales reps, etc.. to find out what makes a P different from a standard D, for the extra $$. Only thing that keeps cropping up is that the P are the top 1% binned/ burn in motor tested, whatever. I thought, ok, maybe that is true, but NO, they are all the same it is just a software mod. I know this as the car I was delivered had a VIN matched delivery window sticker advert in the trunk stating it was just a D when it rolled off the production line. The car also turned up 1 week after I finalized my order (standard black on black), and had only 30% battery charge left, so had been sitting around for a long time. The delivery notice stated 09 production run.

Ordered Sep 14th
Deliver confirmation txt Sep 22nd
Call to say car was already waiting for collection Sep 24th

See attached photo.

It is failed to say that the P puts more strain on the components, and the car had the same warranty, so Tesla is likely to have to shell out more to fix/replace parts on it over time. That is a better justification for the extra $$ paid.

Quite a lot of delivery defects on the car, trim not clipped down, paint scratches, even a paint run. It is going back next week.... and no paint in the trunk, but I will do a different thread for that.

Attachments

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyway, I read all the forums, asked the sales reps, etc.. to find out what makes a P different from a standard D, for the extra $$. Only thing that keeps cropping up is that the P are the top 1% binned/ burn in motor tested, whatever. I thought, ok, maybe that is true, but NO, they are all the same it is just a software mod.
The hardware is different.

AWD Non-performance - 252 hp (188 kW) rear & 197 hp (147 kW) front

AWD Performance - 283 hp (211 kW) rear & 197 hp (147 kW) front

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The hardware is different.

AWD Non-performance - 252 hp (188 kW) rear & 197 hp (147 kW) front

AWD Performance - 283 hp (211 kW) rear & 197 hp (147 kW) front
That doesn't mean that the hardware is different. That's just how hard they push the motors on each version.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I know this as the car I was delivered had a VIN matched delivery window sticker advert in the trunk stating it was just a D
Don't use the Monroney sticker as proof of your assertion. There have been many cases of Monroney stickers being incorrect. In the car, tap the Tesla logo at the top center of the screen. This will display "Dual Motor" with a red underline if your car is a performance. If you don't see the red underline, then take it back to your service center.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That doesn't mean that the hardware is different. That's just how hard they push the motors on each version.
Didn’t even consider that. If true, Tesla could make some extra money by offering more power with a software update if the car can handle it mechanically. I’d be willing to pay a little more for a little more performance in my RWD.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Didn’t even consider that. If true, Tesla could make some extra money by offering more power with a software update if the car can handle it mechanically. I’d be willing to pay a little more for a little more performance in my RWD.
It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to offer that in the future (for updating AWD - I doubt they'll offer an update for RWD).

If Tesla is really reserving the "high sigma" motors for the current Performance cars, then they may have to provide some caveat for a software-updated dual-motor car, like "0-60 mph in under 3.6s" instead of the Performance's advertised 3.5s. But I'm guessing that there probably really isn't that much of a difference in performance between high-sigma motors and the ones that don't make the cut.

TheHairyOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On the last box we made for Air Norwegian for an on wing PED WiFi system we paid the SOM vendor for the Intel 6288eq i7 module extra to Industrial temp screen. The yields were fair and none of the ones we did our own thermal testing with failed prematurely.

For those that don’t believe in screening, it’s real and works.

That said I’m not sure how well my car’s parts did. My car generates a strong plastic burning smell after a few launches. Going to take back to service center again so they can smell it.

On my last visit they thought I meant an HVAC smell issue, even though the ticket said after string acceleration. Have to basically heat up the batteries and motors enough for the frunk fan to turn on for the heat exchanger. At which point I can even smell the burning smell in my rear trunk.

And no this isn’t track event style driving, just 3-4 spirited red light launches in a row. Makes me wish there was an in cabin battery temp gauge.

Lifeinabox

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
That’s been technically true for Tesla since the release of the S and sometimes they uncork (75D in 2017/18) and sometimes they don’t (85 to P85). Right now with the 3 continued ramp up I wouldn’t bet on it for another couple of years.