Model 3 Performance Dismay

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I ordered the model 3 performance (without the $5k upgrade) and received it just a few days ago. I find out if I had gotten it a couple days later for the same price I would have had all the upgrades, I feel a bit cheated. I also feel like this devalued my car $5k, since now all performance Teslas will come with the better wheels etc.

What do you guys think? I called Tesla and they offered no upgrades or refunds.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Really no different than buying any other consumer electronic device right before a change (be it functionality, price, or both). You ordered a product, agreed to the Purchase Agreement, and took delivery of the product.

Mind you, I am not trying to be overly negative here. Tesla is more volatile than traditional automakers, though even still you can buy a car from a traditional dealership only to find that the next weekend they have a clearance sale. The only difference is that when Tesla changes things there is big visibility where as most people that buy a BMW, don't go back to BMW's website and check a few days later.

I'm struggling with the sentiment of feeling cheated though. The way to avoid buyer's remorse is to stop looking otherwise I would tell you that I'm angry that my car doesn't have white seats or "better" seats even if black.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah I see how it relates to buying electronics and such, but man a $70k car is a bit to have buyers remorse two days after delivery.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks I checked out that thread. Unfortunately I did a test drive. I guess I can hope they change their mind and maybe offer the parts?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I also feel like this devalued my car $5k, since now all performance Teslas will come with the better wheels etc.
Bigger wheels may cost a little more (but not a lot more). They are not necessarily "better" just bigger. I specifically opted out of the PUO because I *didn't* want the bigger wheels. I also *didn't* want the 1/2 inch lower suspension springs. Now your wheels and springs are used, pretty hard to install new components in any way that could be considered cost-effective. Maybe you could talk them into giving you a CF spoiler and free track mode software when it's released?

Personally, I give Tesla a long leash as long as they are serving up tasty, reliable and high-quality cars while lighting a fire under the collective asses of the ICE car makers! And that's exactly what I see them doing. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought another Model 3 after receiving our first one and knowing first hand just how solid it was.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah I see how it relates to buying electronics and such, but man a $70k car is a bit to have buyers remorse two days after delivery.
It’s an expensive purchase no doubt, but the expectation that Tesla will do something after purchase is asking too much in my opinion.

Say for instance you bought a BMW M3 for $75k and in next week’s newspaper you see an advertisement for $5k off all new BMW purchases. Are you going back in asking for the $5k or free parts?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Buying a Tesla is just like buying a computer: another variant will soon come along and chances are the prices will either go up or down. Just enjoy the car and to prevent buyer's remorse just stop looking at the configurator page!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I ordered the model 3 performance (without the $5k upgrade) and received it just a few days ago. I find out if I had gotten it a couple days later for the same price I would have had all the upgrades, I feel a bit cheated. I also feel like this devalued my car $5k, since now all performance Teslas will come with the better wheels etc.

did Tesla charge you what you agreed to on the Purchase Agreement?
Did you receive what was shown in the Purchase Agreement?
Anywhere in that agreement did Tesla say the price was guaranteed for x number of days/weeks/months AFTER you pay and if they lower future prices they would refund you the difference?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Bigger wheels may cost a little more (but not a lot more). They are not necessarily "better" just bigger. I specifically opted out of the PUO because I *didn't* want the bigger wheels. I also *didn't* want the 1/2 inch lower suspension springs. Now your wheels and springs are used, pretty hard to install new components in any way that could be considered cost-effective. Maybe you could talk them into giving you a CF spoiler and free track mode software when it's released?

Personally, I give Tesla a long leash as long as they are serving up tasty, reliable and high-quality cars while lighting a fire under the collective asses of the ICE car makers! And that's exactly what I see them doing. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought another Model 3 after receiving our first one and knowing first hand just how solid it was.

I didn't want the bigger wheels either. Was looking at some after market 18" ones instead. The ride is bumpy enough! I do feel I should get any software changes that the upgraded model gets- as it costs them nothing.

BluePM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I did the same thing,mostly because I didn’t want the wheels or the spoiler and when I bought it they told be the breaks were red but not different. If they had explained the package better I might have bought it and if it were free I’m pretty sure I would have. It does seem like we got less car for the money, but everything works well and there are advantages to the nonperformance set up, the most obvious of which is greater tire choice. Unless you are planning on tracking your car, I suspect it will be more user friendly the way we have it set up.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Really no different than buying any other consumer electronic device right before a change (be it functionality, price, or both)
True and not true - lots of stores try to get you in with price guarantees - find it cheaper and they refund the difference. It's a stretch but I can totally feel for folks that watched their car drop an extra $5k in a matter of days...

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
True and not true - lots of stores try to get you in with price guarantees - find it cheaper and they refund the difference. It's a stretch but I can totally feel for folks that watched their car drop an extra $5k in a matter of days...
Agreed on that point. Best Buy does that, but....

There is a big catch. All of the big box stores carry different SKUs of the same products to avoid ever having to really make good on that. In any event it’s also a posted policy when offered.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Resale value involves a lot of speculation. Maybe it will go up because someone else like yourself will prefer what you got and it will be rare. I wouldn't worry about the new car pricing now too much because that will change. The car will change as well. They are upgrading the frame this year and the computer in 6 months supposedly. There will likely be many more changes by the time you sell. I think those future changes will have the biggest impact. If the car stays the same the value will hold up extremely well in my opinion. Don't feel cheated. Just be happy for those who are getting something they want for less. Remember the price of the P3D was originally going to be higher.

daniloreyes

Country
Country

He offered the track mode for us. However I really recommend to you to swap to better/summer tires anyways.

Jim H

Country
Country
Hope Dad comes through on this one! This option will change how well the car responds to all inputs. Tried autox this past weekend, and all the electronic controls cut power whenever the car lost traction, corners, power out of corners, non straight line acceleration, etc. Track mode should make the car not only a straight line star, but on the track as well. Agree that good tires are needed to put it all together, but that is an easy fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.