Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@sreams posted this over on TMC earlier this afternoon:

I'm at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA for a track day today. When I arrived, there were 4 Model 3S with manufacturer plates on them. One in particular had 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot sports, and *huge* brake rotors. I snuck my camera under the front wheel and caught a photo of the front CV axle, showing it to be dual motor. This was certainly a PD Model 3!
Picture attached:

model3pd-sreams-jpg.6751

Someone else pointed out that this car appears to have air suspension too.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any more or different pics. Hard to see lower mount and air bag if possible. Vin pic? I got a long wish list.
Agreed, I'd love to see all of these things too. Unfortunately it was a quick, stealth picture, and sreams was was working under the assumption that he'd have more time later to double-back later and get the VIN and other details, but when he came back, the cars had left. See the TMC thread for full details.

sreams

Country
Country
Agreed, I'd love to see all of these things too. Unfortunately it was a quick, stealth picture, and sreams was was working under the assumption that he'd have more time later to double-back later and get the VIN and other details, but when he came back, the cars had left. See the TMC thread for full details.
Exactly. I was headed into the trackday meeting when I saw it. I took the picture mainly to see for myself whether or not it was dual motor. The meeting was probably about 45 minutes long, and I thought I'd have plenty of time once we stepped out again. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

As for VIN, if I recall correctly it was only in the 500s. It may be that this was built as a normal first production car on the line, and then hand modified to PD specs for testing. As I mentioned on the TMC forum, it had 20 inch Stiletto wheels, Michelin Pilot Sports, and *huge* rotors and calipers front and rear. The picture shows the rest of the differences I was aware of.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Exactly. I was headed into the trackday meeting when I saw it. I took the picture mainly to see for myself whether or not it was dual motor. The meeting was probably about 45 minutes long, and I thought I'd have plenty of time once we stepped out again. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

As for VIN, if I recall correctly it was only in the 500s. It may be that this was built as a normal first production car on the line, and then hand modified to PD specs for testing. As I mentioned on the TMC forum, it had 20 inch Stiletto wheels, Michelin Pilot Sports, and *huge* rotors and calipers front and rear. The picture shows the rest of the differences I was aware of.
I thought P added a second motor in the rear, at least on the MS/MX. AWD adds the motor at the front axle.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought P added a second motor in the rear, at least on the MS/MX. AWD adds the motor at the front axle.
On the S, it goes:
s=one big motor
d=two smaller motors
p=one small and one big motor

On the 3, there isn't as much room up front as there is in back. I'd estimate from measuring the rotor stack on drawings that the P would be 1.3-1.6 as powerful as the LR. Which would mean 0-60 times of maybe 3.2 seconds, more or less.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the S, it goes:
s=one big motor
d=two smaller motors
p=one small and one big motor

On the 3, there isn't as much room up front as there is in back. I'd estimate from measuring the rotor stack on drawings that the P would be 1.3-1.6 as powerful as the LR. Which would mean 0-60 times of maybe 3.2 seconds, more or less.
3.2? I’ll take that! On the S it’s hard to tell if they added a second motor or it was one big One. Wouldn’t they still do the same for the 3 since it presumably has more room at the rear axle?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3.2? I’ll take that! On the S it’s hard to tell if they added a second motor or it was one big One. Wouldn’t they still do the same for the 3 since it presumably has more room at the rear axle?
I think it's pretty "full up" when it's got the LR motor in the back. It's all speculation, but folks are guessing they're testing a smaller-stack variation of it now that you'll get two of if you go dual. Then for a P you'll get the original "big" one back in the rear, and one of the new smaller ones up front. All guesses, or course.

Here's the art this all based off (shading was added by me to highlight what I think is the stator length. You can see there's less room up front due to steering equipment. The stuff in the back is same as the stuff in the front flipped (clever) except the motor stack is shorter.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it's pretty "full up" when it's got the LR motor in the back. It's all speculation, but folks are guessing they're testing a smaller-stack variation of it now that you'll get two of if you go dual. Then for a P you'll get the original "big" one back in the rear, and one of the new smaller ones up front. All guesses, or course.

Here's the art this all based off (shading was added by me to highlight what I think is the stator length. You can see there's less room up front due to steering equipment. The stuff in the back is same as the stuff in the front flipped (clever) except the motor stack is shorter.
Great pic. Thanks, John.