Official Model 3 Owners Manual

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man I'd swear that the car knows when I'm looking at the screen and not at the road. Gives me more lane departure assists and warning when someone ahead brakes hard while I am not looking.
I thought it was the inside cam.

PiperPaul

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Kizzy just made me realize there was a thread (didn't find it with Search) in the Maintenance & Repair section dealing with Manual updates - thanks! Again, I'll let the Moderators decide if these threads should be joined.

I've added the replies from @jsmay311 and @Tesla Newbie to update my original list (with some adjustments in wording which I hope don't change the original message.)

Here is the Missing / Unclear list so far:
  1. I haven't found a notification process for Tesla to let owners know there is a new version of the Owner's Manual available. I first read the August edition many times, made notes, and highlights, etc. Then just after my car was delivered - amazing, it was delivered to my door 1200 Km from the nearest showroom - I discovered by accident that there was a November version of the Manual on the Tesla web site. So my following notes are based on that version.
  2. As others have noted, the Manual writers don't brag about the newest version. The version date is on the very last page. There is no list of changes, or collection of release notes. Once the release notes disappear from the car display after a software update it seems they're gone, gone, gone.
  3. The Manual reads "You can also display this information for up to two trips. Touch ... in the top right corner of a trip to rename or reset a trip." p.5 Touching the top right "..." which only allows "Reset". However, if you swipe up or down from the Trip Card, there are other Trip Odometers (or whatever they might be called) hiding out below the obvious one.
  4. p. 124 in the “Stopping Charging” section says you should be able to disconnect the charge connector by pressing the button on the connector if the car is unlocked OR if your phone key is present, but you actually have to wake up the car (as vaguely described in the paragraph above) not just have your phone present before it will recognize button presses on the connector.
  5. The manual has stated since its first version that "To see what settings are associated with a driver profile, touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Then touch See what’s saved. A popup window lists all the settings that are saved to driver profiles". (p. 39)
    That has never been true (the "see what's saved" prompt doesn't appear), and disappointing because it has never been clear which settings impact all users and which are individually set by profile.

BTW: Since there isn't a Search capability with the Manual shown on the car Display I'm not going to cross check these items with that one. And I'm with @Kizzy with no Wi-Fi access so ...

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Once the release notes disappear from the car display after a software update it seems they're gone, gone, gone.
As I said above:

I’m away from my car now, but you can get them back. I think you touch the Tesla T and on the page where is shows what version you’re on, then hit release notes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are multiple errors and omissions that I’ve discovered in the owners manual. Given how carefully vetted automobile owners manual information is *supposed* to be, this is one of those “can’t-believe-Tesla-could-possibly-be-so-incompetent” things that I’ve slowly and begrudgingly had to accept that, yes... Tesla can be, and is, actually that incompetent.

The main mistake that really grinds my gears is the inaccurate description of how to release the charger cable from the charge port on pg 124 in the “Stopping Charging” section. It says you should be able to disconnect the charge connector by pressing the button on the connector if the car is unlocked OR if your phone key is present, but that mostly hasn’t been the case since they changed the walk-up-unlock behavior 9-ish months ago. Instead, *if your car is asleep* (which should be the vast majority of the time when it’s not actively charging), you have to wake up the car first by opening the trunk or pressing a door handle before it will recognize button presses on the connector.

I complained vociferously to customer service about this months ago, and they *admitted that the manual was wrong* and apologized about it, but it’s still not fixed months later.

I know this may sound like a super small issue, but it bugs the f*** out of me *every single day* when I have to open/close the trunk or awkwardly lean over the charge cable to reach the rear door handle before I can unplug my car. If I was a retired lawyer with nothing better to do, I’d probably sue them over knowingly selling a product that doesn’t work as described in the official owners manual. Instead, I kind of doubt they’ll ever fix the language in the manual since it would be admitting to such a pathetic engineering f***-up.

(Another less consequential error that I recently noticed is a mislabeling of the climate buttons on the bottom of the screen.)

Have you tried using the app on your phone to unlock your car first? This works just fine, also if you precondition you will wake the car and it will then unlock the charger plug.

Jeez, first world problems.

jsmay311

Country
Country
Not to quibble with you on this subject but, why do you own a Tesla if you dislike the company so much? Don’t bother answering, it is only a rhetorical question.
It's a fair question, so I'll answer.

I bought a Tesla because it's the only company selling all-electric vehicles that can conveniently and practically drive long distances. No other car can meet that criteria, and that's what I wanted in a vehicle. (Without the enormous advantage of the Supercharger network, I probably would not have bought a Tesla. I would've gotten a Gen 2 Volt and been perfectly happy... except for every time that the engine kicked on. :p )

I wouldn't even say I "dislike" Tesla. It's more of a love/hate thing. There's objectively a lot to like about Teslas. They drive great. They look great. They're efficient (albeit not as efficient as advertised due to the higher-than-initially-advertised vampire drain -- which just so happens to be another example of a flat-out falsehood that used to be in the owners manual, but I digress). They have good crash ratings. Etc.

But Tesla also routinely demonstrates unusual levels of incompetence in their vehicle development and business practices, and they also too-often demonstrate dishonesty in their marketing and public statements. They don't do anywhere near the in-house validation that they should (and other automakers do). And many of their design decisions are either objectively poor or subjectively maddening. And a lot of the vehicle's drawbacks aren't evident until you actually own/drive one for awhile, so I don't think these forums do anyone any good when we sugar coat and excuse away every shortcoming. Better to shine a light on the problems and be honest about it so that other potential buyers/owners can better know what to expect.

So, back to the original topic... Something as basic and routine as unplugging your car shouldn't require an inconvenient work-around. It should work as intended, as expected, and as described in the manual. And if, for whatever reason (e.g., incompetence), it doesn't work as intended, Tesla should be honest about that fact and not print inaccuracies about it in the Owner's Manual. FFS.

Last edited:

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, back to the original topic... Something as basic and routine as unplugging your car shouldn't require an inconvenient work-around. It should work as intended, as expected, and as described in the manual. And if, for whatever reason (e.g., incompetence), it doesn't work as intended, Tesla should be honest about that fact and not print inaccuracies about it in the Owner's Manual. FFS.
I believe it is working as intended. It's a problem with the manual.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@jsmay311 Whether you see something as a temporary inconvenience or a huge problem, is often a mindset.
Falsehoods, incompetence, dishonesties and lies are very harsh words. They are out of order in my view.
Remember that both the software of the car as well as AutoPilot are still in development. They are not perfect yet. You knew that when you bought the car. Difference with most other products is that Tesla's will get better, even the car you already bought. Being positive, and reporting problems as bugs to Tesla in a supportive way, may speed up the fixing of those inconveniences. Sugarcoating won't help, exaggerating and a hate campaign certainly won't.
Tesla may promote their products as positively as possible. But don't all companies do that? Whether they live up to the expectations often depends on the circumstances. Again, our cars will get better, no other company does that.

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've just noticed that a new version of the manual is now available, dated 20-Dec-2018. Now 184 pages vs. the Nov-2018 version's 182 pages. I haven't checked to see what's changed, but thought I'd let people know of the update.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've just noticed that a new version of the manual is now available, dated 20-Dec-2018. Now 184 pages vs. the Nov-2018 version's 182 pages. I haven't checked to see what's changed, but thought I'd let people know of the update.
The one I thing I know they updated is the way the set speed lowers to you current speed or 18mph (whichever is higher) when steering out of auto steer. (That started with 48.12.1).

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The manual has stated since its first version that "To see what settings are associated with a driver profile, touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Then touch See what’s saved. A popup window lists all the settings that are saved to driver profiles".

That has never been true (the "see what's saved" prompt doesn't appear), and disappointing because it has never been clear which settings impact all users and which are individually set by profile. (If the list exists somewhere, please let me know.)
True, this is not on the Model 3 touchscreen, but it is on my Model X’s. While there can be differences and I’ve not done any checks on the applicability of this list to the Model 3, I’ve attached a picture of it.

8e56a373-44bf-442b-8aff-d3cbb9276d05-jpeg.24129

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New English version available, dated 16-May-2019, now up to 193 pages. The cover also states 2019.16.1.1. Previously it just said "North America" in the same lower right spot of the cover.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and with that, they are no longer using the previous link we've been using for the last 18 months..
I've updated the link to Post #1 of this thread (based on the link in my tesla account) and labeled as North America
if others want to send me the link from their accounts for non-north american versions, I'll add those to the 1st post as well.