Model 3 Owners: Any build/other issues on delivery?

How would you rate the initial build quality of your Model 3?

• Total lemon; refused delivery of vehicle.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Significant mechanical/software/build problems that Tesla needed/needs to address

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minor to moderate mechanical/software/build issues

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Minimal, cosmetic issues only. Not perfect but close enough for horseshoes & hand grenades.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • Perfect. No issues. 10/10.

Votes: 26 38.2%

• Total voters

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For current Model 3 owners: when you picked up your car, or in the 1st few weeks, were there or have you found any significant quality/build issues? Panel gaps, paint issues, software malfunctions, screen issues, etc.

I know this will be a small sample size, but just trying to get a sense from real owners how prevalent these issues are.

Please add thoughts, details etc!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My only issue was with the charge port -- error on screen and requiring replacement (via mobile service) to correct.

No panel gap issues, no paint issues, all in all a perfect car!

Rob R.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Interested in your opinions...

I am a model X 100D owner. I picked up my Model 3 yesterday and because of gap issues on the model X I checked around the car. I was super happy as it had seemed that Tesla had solved the gap issues that they had on their more hand build cars. I found only one flaw. Where the rear bumper abuts the rear quarter panel there is a standard gap but only on one side. on the drivers side of the car the bumper actually touches the rear quarter panel. When my deliver rep about this they brought a person out from service and he used a mm gap tool to show that the gaps were within the factory tolerance of 5mm. I tried to explain that on the side where the panels touch there could rubbing during body roll and that would eventually cause paint chipping etc. they held firm that this was "within specification". I again explained that because there was no gap at all using a gap tool is an apples and oranges test because there is zero gap. its just wrong. eventually they agreed to fix the lack of gap but adjusting the bumper to include a gap. however they also stated that this could cause the gap on the other side of the vehicle to be up to 5mm off. I accepted that and we picked up the car. while waiting outside I noticed about 8 other M3 waiting for delivery. I went over and did a quick inspection and every one of them had the same issue. Gap on the passenger side rear quarter panel where it meets the bumper and no gap / touching on the drivers side. i Askes our delivery person to check her model 3 at home and she sent me an e-mail today saying "This is not an accident, Tesla has decided to keep this gap closed." and continued with, "You are welcome to come in and have your car adjusted using your due bill, but this is the Tesla standard on all Model 3s. I hope this provides some insight into the specifications on our cars." I am having a hard time believing that this is supposed to be this way. I have attached two pictures showing the gap. Also I am not one of those people that like measure everything and it has to be exactly the same on both sides, etc.. I just don't think parts should touch as that is why there are gaps in the first place.

Thoughts? Does your M3 have a gap?

Thanks,

Rob
img_0401-jpg.6756
img_0402-jpg.6757

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For current Model 3 owners: when you picked up your car, or in the 1st few weeks, were there or have you found any significant quality/build issues? Panel gaps, paint issues, software malfunctions, screen issues, etc.

I know this will be a small sample size, but just trying to get a sense from real owners how prevalent these issues are.

Please add thoughts, details etc!
I kinda detailed my issues in my linked thread so I’ll shamelessly point to it. I did have some, they took care of them to my satisfaction and now I’m a happy camper. :)
@Rob R. I’m going to go out and look at mine right now.

EDIT: 4/2. Forgot to update this, I went out to my garage and my trunk lines are perfect. I'll add a picture later once I get home (if I remember).

Last edited:

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just took delivery and was a little disappointed about some of the build quality issues. One of the most significant was that a panel was sticking out next to the headlight. Also a few of the chrome liners along the windows weren't lined up perfectly. They told me all these things were super easy fixes and they'd schedule me for a service appointment. Also there was a super minor almost invisible scratch except under certain light and they quickly buffed it out. I'm sure I'm being overly critical but if I'm spending 60k on a car, I'd like it to be perfect. Either way, I'm stoked about the car!

Attachments

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just took delivery and was a little disappointed about some of the build quality issues. One of the most significant was that a panel was sticking out next to the headlight. Also a few of the chrome liners along the windows weren't lined up perfectly. They told me all these things were super easy fixes and they'd schedule me for a service appointment. Also there was a super minor almost invisible scratch except under certain light and they quickly buffed it out. I'm sure I'm being overly critical but if I'm spending 60k on a car, I'd like it to be perfect. Either way, I'm stoked about the car!
Congrats on taking delivery!!!

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had never even heard of the term “panel gaps” until I started reading about Tesla. It would have to be pretty big for me to complain.
Agreed. I gotta be honest, when I look at a lot of the photos of these gaps people are posting, I'm usually scratching my head and really struggling to see what they're talking about :laughing:

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had never even heard of the term “panel gaps” until I started reading about Tesla. It would have to be pretty big for me to complain.
Ya. I didn't complain about panel gaps, but there are some obvious issues with parts obviously not lining up like they're supposed to. That's the stuff that bothers me.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I owe this thread and @Rob R. a follow up. Here is my trunk, lined up really well if I say so myself. The illusion that the bottom has a wide gap is just the angle I took the photo.
(Also, my legs photobomb!)
81fb298a-ea40-4fe2-a6e0-54245bb27054-jpeg.6938
e07f903a-0e74-45b2-8423-82b46955a0f9-jpeg.6939

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I was dropping my car off, another model 3 owner pulled up behind me and we got to talking. He had his car for 3 days and was bringing in for a front bumper overlapping gap issue. Asked if I could snap a pic to post, he said it was good with it. I had not seen this before. The bumper and panel are touching.

16997800-8440-4fe1-a0bd-b41f3b3cc2e8-jpeg.7370

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this on another thread, but I’ll put it here since it is appropriate for this thread.

———————————

Several things I discovered/noticed after delivery once I detailed the car, mostly cosmetic, only one is mechanical that just showed up a couple weeks ago.

Mechanical:
  • Charge Port Error - Charge port still work, but they are replacing it because error will not go away. Maybe the ECU they got is also to address this? @SoFlaModel3 had this same issue.
Interior:
  • Gap on Passenger A Pillar to Roof liner
  • Gap on Passenger C Pillar to Roof liner
  • Scratches on Center Console Lid
Exterior:
  • Scratches on Hood. After I took it in and got it back before they did any work, there are even MORE scratches. Some where they put tape to identify the issues, and others no where near the original issue. -__-;
  • Dents on driver side body work above the doors. Several dents, looks likes problems when they bent/rolled the sheet metal, it did not come out smooth.
  • Passenger Rear Door handle is misaligned with body (sunken in).
  • Driver's Side Door Chrome trim under window is misaligned. Lower than driver door and C pillar. Door doesn't look misaligned, only trim.
  • Passenger Side Mirror Triangle Trim pulling away.
Nothing here is -that- major. Just things that since I now know, bother me. I still love the car and its still a complete pleasure to drive. Tesla is willing to take care of it all, so no complaints on that front from me.

593cdad6-7d95-444e-883a-841d769b6f5b-jpeg.7371
d23c50f5-3648-403d-8495-dc4c449cf958-jpeg.7372
91460f54-fbef-4f4a-b7bc-0e5927ce624b-jpeg.7373
4d2b610d-edef-4347-993c-5d4cf34b7b59-jpeg.7375
d54c8115-4c2e-4a3d-bd97-814055fd0517-jpeg.7376
036be818-00f7-4a18-a7d4-73af5ee49081-jpeg.7377
d4e5a503-e317-41be-a9fb-39104c13602b-jpeg.7378

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Went to pick mine up finally today. Everything went great except there was a red smudge on the plastic panel under the passenger window. They tried to clean it off but it turned out to be a permanent paint stain. The delivery guy said getting it fixed at a later date was not possible, it had to be done prior to delivery, because all Model 3s "must be delivered perfect." Walked home because my wife had dropped me off. Very sad, but I think they handled it correctly. My new appointment is in 5 days...

Grashelm

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Went to pick mine up finally today. Everything went great except there was a red smudge on the plastic panel under the passenger window. They tried to clean it off but it turned out to be a permanent paint stain. The delivery guy said getting it fixed at a later date was not possible, it had to be done prior to delivery, because all Model 3s "must be delivered perfect." Walked home because my wife had dropped me off. Very sad, but I think they handled it correctly. My new appointment is in 5 days...

Did you mention to them your wife dropped you off? I imagine they could have scrounged a ride home for you.....

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This sounds inconsistent with a lot of what we’ve seen including my own car delivered with a charge port error on screen.

I wonder why they wouldn’t deliver over a simple cosmetic part that can be fixed easily later...