Model 3 order: Sequence of events

Burnchar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am unclear on a few matters regarding my order. Perhaps those with recent orders can help fill me in?

My purchase agreement states that the order was placed on 10/3/2018. The only option I selected was "Performance" (default color, default tires, mandatory premium interior) such that the subtotal is $64K.
I live about 200 driving miles from the nearest (Salt Lake, UT, USA) Tesla service center and about 800 from the Fremont HQ.
  1. Estimated delivery "by Dec.'18". Is this an optimistic date or a realistic one? My concern is for the tax credit.
  2. Roughly when might I be sent a VIN?
  3. My insurance requires VIN to add the vehicle, but the Tesla website appears to be ready for proof of insurance right away. This can wait until I get a VIN, no?
  4. Will my distance from, ah, civilization significantly delay delivery (read: tax credit deadline)

I don't get excited easily but I am losing sleep in anticipation of my new Model 3. I really hope this all goes well!

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am unclear on a few matters regarding my order. Perhaps those with recent orders can help fill me in?

My purchase agreement states that the order was placed on 10/3/2018. The only option I selected was "Performance" (default color, default tires, mandatory premium interior) such that the subtotal is $64K.
I live about 200 driving miles from the nearest (Salt Lake, UT, USA) Tesla service center and about 800 from the Fremont HQ.
  1. Estimated delivery "by Dec.'18". Is this an optimistic date or a realistic one? My concern is for the tax credit.
  3. My insurance requires VIN to add the vehicle, but the Tesla website appears to be ready for proof of insurance right away. This can wait until I get a VIN, no?
  4. Will my distance from, ah, civilization significantly delay delivery (read: tax credit deadline)

I don't get excited easily but I am losing sleep in anticipation of my new Model 3. I really hope this all goes well!
Its impossible not to get excited...lol

The short answer is who the hell knows, they are all over the place with their procedure. Some get their VIN way in advance and some right before pickup. You may or may not get your car in December. They might call you tomorrow and say they have one that matches your build...lol Anything can happen, I wish a i had a better answer.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your VIN automatically appears on your Tesla account 7 days before your scheduled delivery. As for getting the car by 12/31/2018, I would say you have a very good chance. We just received my wife's dual motor Model 3 in <5 weeks from order time. Logistics wise it's all about loading trains and trucks in batches in the most efficient way possible.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

"Just Performance" may sound like a single option, but it is the most complex car that is built. As a P3D, with a recent order, you are indeed on the back end of the current delivery schedule. With a Dec !8 date, you will probably be part of the end of year hell. And I think that everyone is definitely expecting it to be hell this time. If you want to pretty much guarantee yourself a car, then the RWD is the one to order, but you've asked for the one that is currently in the biggest demand.

You will probably NOT HEAR ANYTHING from Tesla until very close to delivery, and that very possible will be December.
So, with an anticipated deliver of 2 months, you will be 2 years shorter than about 500,000 people. So consider yourself lucky, just sit back and realize that calling Tesla will only result in a "We do not know"

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hell I get excited just reading about other people get excited about their Model 3. :D Congrats on ordering the best, most advanced, and the safest car on the road. December delivery is definitely scary to think about, it will be nothing short of batsh*t crazy. Hopefully you get lucky and get a surprise November delivery notice.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I doubt end of Q4 will be as crazy as Q3. I'm betting Tesla will have adjusted to the higher volume and have more established procedures in place. Your distance shouldn't be a negative, I assume you'll be taking delivery in SLC? I would opt out of home delivery to ensure your delivery isn't delayed into 2019 by a lack of home delivery drivers.

Good luck and remember, it's worth the wait!

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered my Model 3 on October 8. RWD, blue, long range battery, premium package, enhanced Autopilot.

Yesterday they called and I have a delivery date: November 6 at the Dedham, MA facility.

It's been 13 years since I bought a car and I'm pretty sure this will be different. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?
  • How was Tesla on a trade in?
  • Does anyone in Massachusetts know whether the trade in is subtracted pre-tax, so your sales tax goes down if you do a trade in?
  • Anything I should be on the lookout for?

dragonsurge

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I ordered my Model 3 on October 8. RWD, blue, long range battery, premium package, enhanced Autopilot.

Yesterday they called and I have a delivery date: November 6 at the Dedham, MA facility.

It's been 13 years since I bought a car and I'm pretty sure this will be different. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?
  • How was Tesla on a trade in?
  • Does anyone in Massachusetts know whether the trade in is subtracted pre-tax, so your sales tax goes down if you do a trade in?
  • Anything I should be on the lookout for?
Congrats on the quick delivery schedule! Have you checked out http://www.teslachecklists.com? They are definitely a good starting point... as much as I've obsessed over my TBD delivery, I haven't yet created my own checklist - that might get me too excited! o_O

Burnchar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my call from Tesla today, exactly two weeks after I placed my order online.

Free delivery was estimated at 2-3 weeks.
Being a flawed human, I lack patience and willpower in this specific situation, so we will be driving to Salt Lake on Monday.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone in Massachusetts know whether the trade in is subtracted pre-tax, so your sales tax goes down if you do a trade in?
Yes, in Massachusetts, trade-in value is subtracted before calculating sales tax.

Tesla trade-in values tend to be low, because Tesla is not interested in the hassle of maintaining and selling an inventory of non-Tesla used vehicles. If you can get a better offer from CarMax, though, Tesla will match it.

BTW, check out the Boston Area / Massachusetts Thread... A few of us locals have documented our delivery experiences at Dedham there, which you might find helpful. By and large, the Dedham crew do a great job, and will do whatever it takes to make sure you're completely satisfied before you drive off the lot!