Model 3 option details

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

DaveIrina

Is there information on the details of the options for the model three that are listed in the reservation tracker? For example, for the glass roof or the moonroof, I don't quite understand exactly what I get with each of those options, do I get a panagraphic view with a glass roof with or without the moonroof ?

Another example, for the wheels I can't tell which options are how many inches in diameter, or which will give us the best gas mileage and range.

In order to create a really accurate record of my options selections I need more information about some of the options. Does anyone know if it exists?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We only know what Elon has alluded to since last year but even that could be upside down given how much has changed since their production plans have changed.

The issue is that Elon has never come clean on the changes which has caused so much conjecture and disappointment amongst those who were hanging onto some tweets from over a year ago. If anything I've learned from the Model 3 program is that's is so different from anything they've done before and that their initial plans have changed a lot.

We're still expecting some options but not as many as Model S has and I believe we will see more bundles than before to allow for a faster production ramp.

DaveIrina

When I add up the prices of the options I have selected I get around $78,000. I hope the prices are quite wrong. I have never heard of a car option package nearly doubling the price of the car (I need to remember that the AWD base price seems to be $45,000). Your thoughts please$

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I add up the prices of the options I have selected I get around $78,000. I hope the prices are quite wrong. I have never heard of a car option package nearly doubling the price of the car (I need to remember that the AWD base price seems to be $45,000). Your thoughts please$
No option prices have been released (or what options will be available to choose), so at this point there is no way to even attempt to price out options and expect to get anything close to accurate.
Wait until the design studio has been opened and we have actual information. That should be within the bext few months, so soonish

DaveIrina

When I add up the prices of the options I have selected I get around $78,000. I hope the prices are quite wrong. I have never heard of a car option package nearly doubling the price of the car (I need to remember that the AWD base price seems to be $45,000).

Correction: the base price of the big battery seems to be $45,000

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Is there information on the details of the options for the model three that are listed in the reservation tracker? For example, for the glass roof or the moonroof, I don't quite understand exactly what I get with each of those options, do I get a panagraphic view with a glass roof with or without the moonroof ?

Another example, for the wheels I can't tell which options are how many inches in diameter, or which will give us the best gas mileage and range.

In order to create a really accurate record of my options selections I need more information about some of the options. Does anyone know if it exists?
Here is my very UNOFFICIAL answer to some of your questions. The glass roof is as implied, all glass with to headliner on the inside. This increases headroom to the max. The "moon" roof is a sliding glass panel that opens over the front seats, also no headliner but some minimum intrusion into the headroom by portions of the mechanism. The metal roof covers the passenger area and does have a headliner, this reduces headroom somewhat.

Tire diameter is the same regardless if wheel diameter. The tire sidewall height is less on the larger wheel. This is obviously necessary to maintain accuracy of the speedometer. Smaller sidewall height improves handling, larger sidewall height improves ride. Some very small power is lost in flexing the larger sidewall height, so the larger wheels probably result in greater efficiency, but tread design is still a greater factor.

Ip Man

Country
Country
45k will include dual motors. 78k is way to expensive-remember options will be limited.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have NO PRICING from Tesla on Model 3 options at this time!!!

Everything is based on conjecture and estimates based on inflated Model S options pricing. Budget your Model 3 options on that if you want a worst-case scenario but I don't think Model 3 options pricing will be the same all at. I'd say anywhere between 50-80% of the price would be about right.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

Everything is based on conjecture and estimates based on inflated Model S options pricing. Budget your Model 3 options on that if you want a worst-case scenario but I don't think Model 3 options pricing will be the same all at. I'd say anywhere between 50-80% of the price would be about right.
What difference does it make for you Trevor? You bought an "S" this morning, right? ;)

Dan

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I agree with this and I have been using 70% of Model S option costs as a rough guideline for my estimate.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Now that the metal roof is no longer an option on the S, I would think there is a good chance it will not be an option on the 3 when it arrives.
I'd love to concur... yet can't help but feel that, at $35k base price, it has a slight flavor of 'it's too good to be true'... :confused:

Ip Man

Country
Country
I agree with garsh here.
Fewer options-I'll bet you have 3 interior color options-that's it.
This is all about speed of delivery methodology. If more options take robots longer-forget it.
Look at the new Xs and Ss-most of them only have 4 color choices.
I was lucky enough to get tan or saddle for my interior for S and I hope they continue this for you all.
The only thing you might have more variety of are external colors-reason-more paint bays lightens the load upon 1 paint bay being held up with more cars. Not trolling here just stating the obvious. When Elon says simplicity is best-follow that to a degree. I do hope that when they allow you to order you can get any battery pack with single motor. Good luck to you all. My gut tells me a lot of people change to single motor cars when they wanted dual motor. Those that stick with their dual will get goodies with their car for waiting longer.

Last edited:

UncleT

Country
Country
I do hope that when they allow you to order you can get any battery pack with single motor. Good luck to you all. My gut tells me a lot of people change to single motor cars when they wanted dual motor. Those that stick with their dual will get goodies with their car for waiting longer.
It will be interesting to see what people do if they cannot get RWD with the larger battery (such is the case with the S).

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm hoping an all glass roof will be available on the 3. I liked it a lot in the S I tried out, but I don't want the one that opens.
Oh, the all-glass roof will definitely be available on the 3. The only question that remains is whether all-glass or metal will be standard.

Before this morning, I was about 80% confident that metal would be standard, and all-glass would be an option, just like on the S. Now that you can't even order a metal roof on the S, the mere availability of a metal roof on the 3 has been cast into doubt.

Gary Moore

Country
Country
Survival is about tipping points. Once you make a durable cookie cutter, you can leverage the cookie cutter to make the cost per cookie made at high volumes of production go down. The same rule applies to making roofs.

Whether the metal roof or glass roof lives or dies in availability depends upon the relative market percentages of customer desires.

There's a break point at which it would become more expensive to offer low-runner metal roofs than to go with all glass. You can't afford warehouse space for storing metal roofs which few people buy, unless those buyers are willing to pay a premium. Metal roofs being another animal, they need metal finishing and paint.

At the other end of the scale, if no one wanted to see the sky coming through the roof, then the glass roof would be the one that goes the way of the dodo.

In between on the relative request levels for the style of roof, you get some options at various prices.

When too many people died when rolling their flimsy convertibles, "A"-pillars, rocker panel reinforcements and/or roll bars had to get stronger, and thus the price of convertibles went up. If not enough people bought the higher-priced convertibles, then the prices got higher, until at some fateful meeting, some bean counter banished them from the lineup with some return-on-investment chart.

It's a jungle out there.