Model 3 on a dyno: 393,6 HP ;)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Once again, Tesla sandbags this car (just like how they downrated the range). Their claimed HP is top speed HP, not peak HP.
This was probably done as part of the 'anti-selling' effort to protect Model S... Now the truth comes out... ;)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Now picture what it'll be like when they come out with the performance package ;) Man, has Tesla ever knocked it out of the park with this one....

This is going to be so hilarious for me when I get mine, as I'm currently driving a car that had 67 hp when *new*, and now has about 200k km on the current engine / 750k km on the car as a whole ;)

Matthias Fritz

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
absolutely achievable. tried one 0-60 calculator. this came out. manual is actually faster than automatic transmission.
note; cannot promise the 100% validity of this theory example ;)

Jayc

Country
Country
I predict Model 3 will not initially get a performance variant. AWD LR will probably be as quick as it gets but it will beat best of current ICE.

When the Tesla machine starts churning out cars with a healthy profit on each, things might change. Just my opinion of course.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
3814 lbs, not 3700. :) Also. the shape of the power curve matters. You can see on the quarter mile plot that it comes in right around 5 seconds.

Ed: something just occurred to me: I'll almost never get to feel the top of that power curve. That's 12mph over our speed limit!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I predict Model 3 will not initially get a performance variant. AWD LR will probably be as quick as it gets...
Yeah, I'm thinking that too now. 600hp (if the front motor is half-size) or 800hp (if front motor is same size) seems like plenty to trounce all other cars in its class.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I'm thinking that too now. 600hp (if the front motor is half-size) or 800hp (if front motor is same size) seems like plenty to trounce all other cars in its class.
...assuming the inverter and battery aren't like:

:D

Which makes me wonder, do we know the actual rating on the production Model 3's inverter? The last number I saw (back in June 2016 = ancient history) was "300+ kw". 300 kw = 402 HP, 399 kw ~= 535 HP. Zero complaints about anything in that zone, of course.

DNR

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The Model 3 does not put 396 hp to the wheels. The Model S P85 puts down less than that, weighs 1000 pounds more and is much faster! Don't believe everything that you read. haha
Look at that acceleration plot from DragTimes. It doesn't line up with the dyno plot at all.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is pretty awesome if true!

On an unrelated note, I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I was cringing when that guy was smoking right next to the car! Then when he sat in it after, I was like... awww hell no, don't smell up that beautiful new car!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Is it just me, or is the car skidding on the dyno at 6:50? You even see the rear end jerk to the left.

More weirdness: By stepping through frames I can see the mph labels on the dyno graph; it shows peak HP at around 55mph, followed by a gradual taper (an almost constant HP plateau). Way lower speed for peak HP than the other dyno. The other dyno shows that sort of horsepower at around the same speed, but the power keeps climbing up to 68 mph rather than "giving up" like the one in this vid.

Any people with more dyno experience care to offer some theories into what's going on here?

Last edited:

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Definitely needs dyno experts. I’m lost.
Certainly the second try on the second (Brooks) vid ‘feels’ more comparable with the conditions of the first vid (front wheels not turning).

Yet that’s a big difference in HP... though 300+ seems plenty good enough for me... ;)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Way lower speed for peak HP than the other dyno. The other dyno shows that sort of horsepower at around the same speed, but the power keeps climbing up to 68 mph rather than "giving up" like the one in this vid.
State of charge and temperature of the battery can make a big difference too. I watched those videos quickly while doing other things, but I don't remember anything being stated about the battery state before testing.

I forget which video it was, but somebody was performing 0-60mph tests with the Model 3 using a VBOX, and it kept getting a little faster with each attempt as the battery warmed up.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3: 393 hp on the dyno......:

They first performed a run starting at 30mph. It sounded like Eric was trying to confirm the machine settings. He says something like "because when I look at the graph, I'll know I hit 3400 rpm". That first run appears to show a 247hp peak on the wall monitor. That's close to the 281hp that Brooks got with his last dyno run.

Then they performed a second run, but didn't really say anything about it. The monitor was switched to displaying the hp vs speed graph, which isn't really visible on the video.

Then for the third run, it sounds like they started at 10mph. Afterwards, Eric says "I know how Tesla thinks. You guys are smart! You tried to trick me. They try to power-manage the car...". It's not clear to me what he means, but it sounds like he figured out how to work around a limitation of some sort. I wish we had some more details about this dyno run. Somebody needs to interview Eric and find out what he did, and if it's repeatable.