Model 3 now eligible for $2,500 MA state tax rebate

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was planning on the $2500 from the state, but now I'm starting to worry with delays it might be gone

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was planning on the $2500 from the state, but now I'm starting to worry with delays it might be gone

Good thing: the money comes from a single pool, and thanks to their high sticker price, the S and X only qualify for $1,000 each. Increases the odds there will still be money there when your number is called.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, but people are snatching up BEV nissans and VWs at record rates. I see new ones every week.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The money has been replenished a few times even though it was close to running out. Worth keeping an eye on.
Yeah, even though it looks like funds are currently running a little low (165.6 rebates remaining at $2500 each), the Baker administration has been pretty consistent about supporting programs and legislation that encourage EV adoption, including funding for MOR-EV. Given the political makeup of our state and the shenanigans going on at the federal level, I suspect that the program will get another round of funding.

Funny story: as it happened, my wife was actually assigned as one of Gov. Baker's tour-guides when he visited her office earlier this year. The night before the visit, she mentioned to me that she didn't know what she should talk to him about during an idle moment, and I was like, "OH I'VE GOT SOMETHING!! Thank him for supporting EV adoption in Massachusetts, and then do that assume-the-close thing that you do so well to ensure that he'll keep funding MOR-EV when it runs out in a few months!" The next day, after we both arrived home from work, I asked her how he responded to my carefully-choreographed pitch... aaannnd she just laughed. Clearly, my diabolical plan to influence government policy was never executed! :rolleyes:

Anyway, on a potentially more useful note... at one of the National Drive Electric Week events in Cambridge, I met a woman who works at the local office of the Union of Concerned Scientists, and her area of interest is (naturally) clean vehicle adoption. We talked for a bit about the state and federal EV incentives and how the UCS plans to advocate for them both. She mentioned they are trying not to draw attention to the federal credit at the moment (given the current attempt at federal tax reform now underway), but that they would likely campaign vigorously for MOR-EV in the event that funding runs out. I asked how I could help out with that campaign, and she suggested that I register with the UCS as a "Science Champion", after which point she could flag me in their database as a local EV driver and enthusiast.

So, I did that... in spite of being a generally conflict-averse person who has zero experience advocating for public policy. If anyone else here is interested in signing up and being flagged as an EV supporter, the signup link is below, and I can PM you with the UCS rep's contact info.

UCS Science Champions: http://www.ucsusa.org/take-action/sign-up-to-be-a-science-champion