Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts
Before I ordered my Model 3 a year ago, I asked the salesperson what would I do if I had a flat tire. The salesperson responded that no matter where or what time it was, Tesla would promptly send a service vehicle with a loaner tire and wheel. A few days ago I had my first flat and I would like to share my experience.

It was after 7 p.m. I was in Irvine, California, a large metropolitan area about 70 miles from my home in Los Angeles. Using my Tesla app on my iPhone, I contacted Tesla for assistance. About 10 minutes later, I got a phone call from a woman working for Tesla informing me there were no tires available. The most Tesla would do would be to tow my car to a nearby Tesla repair facility or any other repair station of my choice within 50 miles from my car. When I mentioned that I was far from home, more than 50 miles away, it was late, and local garages were probably closed. She was indifferent. When I asked how I would get home, that was my problem, she answered, not hers.

I had just finished a long, arduous day of work and I was very tired and hungry. As I informed the Tesla agent, I am in my late 70s, I was with my elderly wife, it was late, and we were far from home in an unfamiliar area. When she continued to be indifferent to my predicament, I admit I became a little hot under the collar. I reminded her this was not what Tesla promised it would do under these circumstances, and threatened to sue Tesla if she continued to be unresponsive to my situation. Instead of offering assistance, the woman then abruptly hung up and sent me a text which read, "It is my understanding that you have requested legal action. We will not be able to assist due to your request." Although I immediately texted back and apologized for getting excited and withdrew my threat of legal action, she refused to respond to my texts literally begging for help. All I got from Tesla's "service" agent was the equivalent of the middle finger with a text that read, "You will need to find your own tow provider tonight."

Fortunately, I was able to call the auto club and a kind and helpful man who came by in response inflated my tire and located a tire store a few miles away that was open for another 15 minutes. I managed to convince the manager to stay open longer and my flat was fixed. Kudos to AAA and the tire store and boos to Tesla.

My past good experience with Tesla led me to recommend the car to three friends who each purchased model 3s. I wouldn't recommend the brand again now. Obviously, I can't rely on Tesla's promises for roadside assistance. Without a spare tire, that's a serious problem for me. Being unable or unwilling to provide reliable road service, I think Tesla should supply a spare tire and wheel and a way of securing it in our cars.

On 5/13/2022 I had the same comments from the Tesla service representative. Tesla would send a tow truck from Mt. Kisco service center to pick up my car and bring it back to the service center for service. It would take about an hour and a half for the truck to arrive. I was shocked that Tesla has sold so many more vehicles and that they do not have a fleet of vans with tire replacements or ability to repair the flat. I have owned my Tesla since December 2019 and already have had two flats. Luckly I was about 1 1/ 2 miles from a local service center, and within 45 minutes they towed me back to the shop. The tire had too much damage to plug the hole. They did not have a replacement tire and I had to call Tire Discount who ordered a replacemt for Monday delivery. No car for the whole weekend. I can't experience this again so I will be ordering a donut, though I will have very little room in the truck.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.