Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Why not simply put the flat tire on the rack just like the spare was ??? Aren't they the same size, unless you have a doughnut?
I have Continental tires, 235/40 R 19 size. They are 27" diameter and 9.25 width. One flat tire with wheel will fit under the rack. When you have a flat, the procedure is to remove the rack with the mini spare ( dough nut) , unbolt the spare front the rack buy hand loosening the wing nut that holds the tire down via the "hub" piece, loosen the wheel nuts with a 21 mm socket and breaker bar, jack the car up (you can use the 3/4" plywood hub as a base), remove the lug nuts and wheel, install the spare, lower the car, and re-tighten the lug nuts. Then put the flat tire in the trunk and slide the empty rack over the spare and close the trunk. You can secure the rack with the turn buckles if needed.

I bought the Modern Spare and a Porsche jack and foam insert from ebay. I had the tire in the trunk but it took up too much space. I put it on the floor behind the drivers front seat and then could get our baggage into the trunk. Not pretty and not tied down but functional.

This is very intriguing! Would you be able to post a picture of it installed with the tire and how it braces?
Good request - I was thinking the same thing - would love to see it all together in the trunk.

Tire is held on the flat 9 x 36" x 1" panel with through bolt and plate on wheel. Front cross piece, 1" x 2 1/2" x 34" is braced up to cross member behind back seats...( the u shaped parts that back seats clip to when in up right position ) Clear as mud?

Yes, when flat black paint is cured, I will assemble the unit and put into the Model 3...pics to follow.

could you snap a pic before painting? black trunk interior, black tire, black frame might not be as visible.

Reactions: garsh
This is incredible. Would you consider making me the same set up?
Actually, I think the original design was posted to a different thread in our forums.
I'm going to move these posts to that thread shortly.

UPDATE: done. The first post of this thread has a link to a PDF file with full design and parts list.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.