Model 3 Maintenance Schedule

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

zkmusa

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don't believe Tesla has announced a maintenance plan (or extended warranty) for the model 3.

According to the owner's manual, maintenance is much more basic for the Model 3:

Regular maintenance is the key to ensuring the continued reliability and efficiency of your Model 3. Rotate the tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km). Maintain the correct tire pressures. It is also important to perform the daily and monthly checks described below.
They also recommend brake fluid changes every 25,000 miles or 2 years, and battery coolant replacement every 50,000 miles or 4 years.

See more on page 111:

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So is that all the maintenance you need for these? I assume you need tire rotation, but what other regular maintenance is needed for this vehicle?

Country
Country
It would be nice if Tesla had a list of all maintenance needed and how often we should do them. I know it's not the same as ICE cars, but there should still be tire rotation, alignment, etc.

zkmusa

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am curious about the service interval for the gear box oil and oil filter.
The interval is "never".

The Model S required one service after 12,500 miles, and no service thereafter. I assume this was to remove any little pieces of metal shavings resulting from the reduction gears wearing in. The addition of a filter in the Model 3 will remove these wear-in contaminants so that the oil never needs to be replaced.

Triangles

Country
Country
The interval is "never".
LOL in fantasy land maybe. Lubrication breaks down with time and use. That is a fact in the real world. If Tesla does indeed say it never needs replaced then what they are really saying in layman's terms is that it will out last the warranty period. If that's the case then I'll guestimate it will last slightly longer than the oil in a MTX and replace it at about 100k miles.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
LOL in fantasy land maybe. Lubrication breaks down with time and use. That is a fact in the real world. If Tesla does indeed say it never needs replaced then what they are really saying in layman's terms is that it will out last the warranty period. If that's the case then I'll guestimate it will last slightly longer than the oil in a MTX and replace it at about 100k miles.
well, the powertrain warranty is 8 years / 120k miles. The transmission has only a differential and one or two gears from the motor. This is what, 1/10th of a classic manual transmission? I think the oil should last much longere here.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
well, the powertrain warranty is 8 years / 120k miles. The transmission has only a differential and one or two gears from the motor. This is what, 1/10th of a classic manual transmission? I think the oil should last much longere here.
I agree. As long as water doesn't get in the reduction gear the oil, and the oil doesn't become overheated, it should last indefinitely.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Elon and Tesla recently posted about this. The gearbox still looks good as new after a million miles:

Triangles

Country
Country
Elon and Tesla recently posted about this. The gearbox still looks good as new after a million miles:

No gearbox can be completely sealed simply because of thermal expansion. Somewhere on the gearbox there must be a vent. Over time the oil can be contaminated with moisture and to a lesser extent dust (the oil filter pretty much negates dust/particulate contamination). Time and this moisture will break down the lubrication properties of the oil. I am happy to see the gear box can go 1,000,000 miles. I wonder if that 1,000,000 miles was all on the same oil. If it was then changing gear oil would be a time based instead of mileage, say 10 years or so. For most owners that would definitely be "life-time" as they wont hold on to their Tesla's for a decade or more.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
For most owners that would definitely be "life-time" as they wont hold on to their Tesla's for a decade or more.
You would have to pry my P3D out of my cold hands because I plan on keeping it a lot longer than 10 years! And you can bet I won't be changing the gear oil before then unless Tesla recommends a slipperier, more efficient oil or I drive through flood waters deeper than the breather.