Model 3 LR AWD is the best value overall?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, I'm a car guy that recently purchased the AWD LR. I see so many posts comparing the RWD vs AWDP. Why? That's the same as comparing the AUdi A4 versus the RS. Why skip the S4?

There are those who say the P model is the same as the LR without the software upgrade. I can't comment on this because I have no idea. I've owned plenty of BMWs and Audis in the last 15 years. It's difficult to say this but the truth is they SUCK compared to the LR or P period when it comes to stats on acceleration I traded in my APR ECU tuned 2017 A4 which was FAST (under 5 sec tuned) but does not compared to the linear acceleration of the M3 AWD LR. It was slower, the trans showed errors when I stressed it, and it's overall boring in comparison.

So, what's your take? Do you truly compare the inconsistent dual clutch transmissions on the German rival M and S cars to the M3P? If you have owned one you KNOW they are not even truly comparable. Why are there not more threads about the real differences between the experience of driving/owning versus oddly long forum threads about speculation of stuff.... I'm looking for real BMW and Audi S, M, RS owners that really own and drive Model 3s to chime in.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m right there with you, the only thing that would stop me from comparing the Dual Motor car to the S4 though is that there is no special options/trim. It’s just my RWD Model 3 with Dual Motor AWD.

From a performance stand point sure, but otherwise no distinguishing characteristics.

As for the title best value overall, I think that goes to Mid Range Model 3 for those able to get in on the $7,500 tax credit. They paid $1,250 more than Standard Range + PUP and gained 50 miles of range. That’s huge!

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I once owned a Porsche Cayman S with PDK, with "ultra performance summer tires" as Tire Rack calls them. Those tires are the major performance difference with my dual motor with standard wheels and tires. I'm tempted to put performance tires on the 3, but the Tesla was our replacement for a Prius! I got rid of the Cayman since I feared losing my license. I still have three Porsches, older and/or slower.

The PDK on the Cayman car was perfect. The whole drivetrain was perfect, and made a thrilling noise when cranked up - there's nothing like the scream of a flat-six. Everyone nearby would know, however, so it was for special occasions only. The 3's power is always available, and thrilling in a different way. I have a friend that dislikes newer Porsches since they all have turbos. He likes an immediately responsive throttle. Gasoline engines always have some lag as you wait for them to reach their torque peak, so when I gave him a demo the other day, I kept saying "See, no lag".

What was the question? Oh - yes, if these comparisons were about Porsches, they'd be comparing the base model with the Turbo model, skipping over the S model, which is what most people buy - despite the fact that it's a lot of money for 50 HP and red brake calipers.

And the Dual Motor is the best value, for sure, in this non-Prius context, or anywhere it snows. Battery size - can't say for everyone, depends on your longest often-taken trip and where the Superchargers are.