Model 3 line shut down temporarily

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If Buzzfeed is to be believed, the Model 3 production line has been "paused" for 4 or 5 days. Awesome.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/tesla-model-3-production-shutdown-delay-elon-musk
I see this as a good thing. A few days not producing cars so that they can produce many more cars per day once they are back up and running. Just means things are progressing and the ramp up is moving right along. Normal part of the process. I'd be more worried if they were not making changes that would allow them to build cars faster.

emolas

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If Buzzfeed is to be believed, the Model 3 production line has been "paused" for 4 or 5 days. Awesome.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/tesla-model-3-production-shutdown-delay-elon-musk
I saw Elon's latest interview and I felt it was impossible for him to produce more than 2,500 cars per week in the way he had done so far.
I would like to believe that this incident is a positive thing to aim for more production volume.
I am worried about how quickly they can restore the production volume after resuming, rather than stopping production.
I think that it takes a lot of time for it.
In order to be delivered to us, production volumes higher than now are essential, so we have to wait and trust them.

jclxg

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I understand that stopping the production line will be good in the long-run (hopefully). However, selfishly, i'm waiting on a VIN. I'd rather not have production stopped.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Sandy, hi! As you know, we don’t shoot here, we reach out and hold hand during the (im)patient waiting... ;)

Some people on the web & naysayers will make a big fuss of this yet this is again a great illustration of the French saying ‘reculer pour mieux sauter’ (take a step back to jump higher)! :cool:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hmmm, what happened the last time Tesla shut the lines down for a week? It was so long ago, I don't remember... :p

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sandy, hi! As you know, we don’t shoot here, we reach out and hold hand during the (im)patient waiting... ;)

Some people on the web & naysayers will make a big fuss of this yet this is again a great illustration of the French saying ‘reculer pour mieux sauter’ (take a step back to jump higher)! :cool:
Hi Mike! I agree 100%. Back up and running at even a higher rate before we know it! Cheers

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just remember this puts them around 1400~ cars behind. Any improvement in production will eat thru that very very quickly. For some of us (myself included) it does probably move us toward the far end of delivery estimates. My concern is more the speed with which the line comes back online.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I view this as great news for a couple of reasons. It means that they are identifying ways they can further improve the production process. It means that in the long run this will get me my car quicker. It also means that in the short term, the nay sayers will jump all over it, the stock price will probably drop again and I will be able to get even more stock at a great price before it starts soaring once they hit 5000 cars per week and become profitable. ;)

Dan

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Awesome indeed. I've been repeatedly writing that I look forward to the shutdowns, because it means that they're installing / upgrading equipment needed to reach 5k. I cheered when I saw this in my news feed.

Shutdowns are great news for Tesla, as much as it sucks if you're right on the cusp of getting your VIN ;) But it's just a few days, and then it's back up and running faster.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just hope the media, run by shorts, gets a hold of this information and spreads it in their typical poisonous and disgusting way... why? So the stock can fall again so I can BUY BUY BUY!!!!! :D

FUND MY RETIREMENT, SHORTS. FUND IT!!!!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I just hope the media, run by shorts, gets a hold of this information and spreads it in their typical poisonous and disgusting way... why? So the stock can fall again so I can BUY BUY BUY!!!!! :D

FUND MY RETIREMENT, SHORTS. FUND IT!!!!
Totally agree! My only wish is to fund dual motor and Smart Air Suspension though. I'm not too worried about retirement. ;) LOL!

Dan

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I always get a kick out of the news that surrounds this kind of thing with Tesla. Does anyone know about what happened the last time an assembly line was shut down for improvements by Toyota? Ford? General Motors? Honda? Mercedes? BMW?

No of course not but I guarantee that all of them shut down some of their assembly lines from time to time for various reasons. Tesla is under a microscope and every little hiccup is announced, analysed, and debated. Temperately shutting down a new highly automated line is not bad or unexpected.

I picked up my Model 3 (Scarlett) VIN 18XXX on Saturday and all I can say to those who are waiting, please don't get distracted with all the noise, this car represents a revolutionary change, from my perspective the build quality is every bit as good as a BMW or Audi (I have owned both) and it is absolutely worth the wait.

Last edited:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I always get a kick out of the news that surrounds this kind of thing with Tesla. Does anyone know about what happened the last time an assembly was shut down for improvements by Toyota? Ford? General Motors? Honda? Mercedes? BMW?

No of course not but I guarantee that all of them shut down some of their assembly lines from time to time for various reasons. Tesla is under a microscope and every little hiccup is announced, analysed, and debated. Temperately shutting down a new highly automated line is not bad or unexpected.

I picked up my Model 3 (Scarlett) VIN 18XXX on Saturday and all I can say to those who are waiting, please don't get distracted with all the noise, this car represents a revolutionary change, from my perspective the build quality is every bit as good as a BMW or Audi (I have owned both) and it is absolutely worth the wait.
Indeed. If I recall correctly, when Ford switched the F-150 from steel to alumium, and built the new chassis-production infrastructure side-by-side with the existing line, it took them six weeks of downtime to integrate the new chassis line into the old production line.

Downtime is normal, and when your main goal is production scaleup, it usually means good things are happening.

NRG4All

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Just playing devil's advocate but two things occur to me. First the impact that this will have depends on how much faster the production line will move. If the improvement will double the production, then they will make up the missing production in a week. However, if the improvement is 25%, then this will set back the output by a month. But in the long run for those whose invite is not imminent it will not matter that much. Secondly, I wonder if this downtime is because they will be removing some automated equipment and replacing it with workers. Musk has admitted that perhaps the factory is too automated. If this is the case then workers may need to be hired and trained. It could be possible that this is being done as a quality improvement and not for a speed improvement.

Another thought is that the production equipment may just be tweaked to cut down on the rework.

Just sayin' and as usual, Tesla is being quite cryptic. Time will tell if a week or so after the line resumes whether we see a large bunch of invites go out. I certainly hope so but as the saying goes, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I disagree. Tesla is being much too open. When was the last time you read about Ford or GM shutting down a production line for a few days?
I agreed with you but I don’t think it was Tesla that was too open about the shutdown. Info came from Buzzfeed and whoever their source is.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agreed with you but I don’t think it was Tesla that was too open about the shutdown. Info came from Buzzfeed and whoever their source is.
In the current climate, a random Tesla worker commenting on a production shutdown is a newsworthy event that attracts eyeballs and clicks, so BuzzFeed wrote it up and published it. Conversely, a random GM / Ford worker commenting on a production shutdown is not newsworthy, so there's no real incentive to make a story out of shutdowns at those plants... let alone actively maintain a network of sources who work there.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Just playing devil's advocate but two things occur to me. First the impact that this will have depends on how much faster the production line will move. If the improvement will double the production, then they will make up the missing production in a week. However, if the improvement is 25%, then this will set back the output by a month.
It sounds like you're thinking of it as a single downtime. It's likely to be the first of many. Even if it's only 25%, it's the first 25%... then another 25%... then another... then another.... All building on top of the last achieved production rate.

I expect downtimes every several weeks this quarter, and I look forward to them every time.