Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Model 3 is still on time

12K views 87 replies 25 participants last post by  tivoboy 
#1 ·

:cool:

#12 ·
Barrons article -model 3 might be delayed-or slower produced than desired due to parts restrictions (quantity) from vendors.
Hiring page on Telsa's website hints that there are still hurdles to clear.

"Must work 24/7 to meet deadline in early July. Must know electronics motion sensor design, engineering, and programming. Knowing how to make advanced motion detection parts less complex a huge plus. Extremely high paying, demanding, and extreme pressure. Must have cannot fail attitude."

#13 ·
Barrons article -model 3 might be delayed-or slower produced than desired due to parts restrictions (quantity) from vendors.
Hiring page on Telsa's website hints that there are still hurdles to clear.

"Must work 24/7 to meet deadline in early July. Must know electronics motion sensor design, engineering, and programming. Knowing how to make advanced motion detection parts less complex a huge plus. Extremely high paying, demanding, and extreme pressure. Must have cannot fail attitude."
Searched Barron for Tesla and model 3, but can't find it

#21 ·
I hesitate to say this because I couldn't put my cursor on a link to back it up. I recall Elon Musk tweeting that the loss of the head of Grohmann Engineering would not affect the launch of the Model 3, as they already had the equipment in place to build the 3.

To move forward to my speculation now: It is possible that it could have some small impact on future projects. But if one gives the employees who are still there any credit for knowing how to think independently and that they are good at what they do, it will be a minor hiccup, if any issue at all.

#25 ·
came across this post on TMC of someone who reached out to Tesla re transferring a reservations... that wasn't specifically the interesting part, but this was...
The rep also seemed to think I would get an invitation to configure mid summer and have a solid chance of arriving before end of 2017 (April 14 reservation, East Coast, Non-tesla owner)
hope everyone is ready!!! if a non-owner who reserved 2 weeks after the reveal on the east coast has their car by the end of the year, I would guess most of us in NA will as well!! (assuming the person that they spoke to knew what they were talking about)

#27 ·
came across this post on TMC of someone who reached out to Tesla re transferring a reservations... that wasn't specifically the interesting part, but this was...

hope everyone is ready!!! if a non-owner who reserved 2 weeks after the reveal on the east coast has their car by the end of the year, I would guess most of us in NA will as well!! (assuming the person that they spoke to knew what they were talking about)
Not sure I believe it but it sure would be sweet!

#29 ·
I'm taking the rep's comments with an entire shaker of salt, but given that "mid-summer" could technically be anytime in July or August, it's probably not too far off. At the end of the day, there are a lot of unknowns surrounding the ordering timeline/process itself (to say nothing of the unknowns related to production ramp-up), so I'm wary of putting too much faith in any predictions (insider or not) at this point.

My parents and I have something of a race going on between us to see who (a) gets to configure first, and (b) takes delivery first (given that we will probably order similar configurations). Here's the tale of the tape:

Me: East coast, non-owner, reserved 3/31/2016 (line-waiter)
Them: West coast, early Model S owner, reserved online a week after the reveal

Personally, I'm vaguely expecting a late-July / early-August timeframe for getting invited to configure, and taking delivery sometime in March 2018, but I am fully expecting reality to differ one way or another.

#30 ·
So...a question about configuration.

Would it not be wise to open up configuration to everyone at once with the understanding that delivery would progress from West to East by reservation date? This way Tesla could have a much better idea of what people were wanting...and willing to pay for. (I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of folks that are willing to wait for dual motor performance options.)

Just a thought.

Dan

#31 ·
No. Because the longer the lead time between configuration and order placement, the more likely people will keep changing their minds. People never seem to actually know what they want. You can give them every possible opportunity to research prior to making a decision, and they will still get you with a bunch of "Oh! Just one more thing..." changes. Invite to configure. If they submit an order, give them three to seven days to make changes, after that they can make no further changes without canceling the order, thereby losing their initial deposit.

#32 ·
My guess is that the configuration page for the Model 3 will function the same way as the Model S ordering today. As you pick your options a section on the right will show a similarly pre-configured car that will be delivered to you sooner, if you choose to go that route. I for one might go for the pre-configured car in order to save time... and for a quicker happy ending. :D;)

#36 ·
I don't see it this way. The Model S is mature and doesn't have a 400k backlog.

I think there will be options that delay the car (dual motor as an example), but otherwise it's not as if 200k cars will be sitting around waiting for owners...

#34 · (Edited)
@Bokonon -- Very well said! I agree. There will be trim levels, there will be packages, there will be very few individual options that can or must be chosen a la carte. The base level car will only be available in one or two colors and without any change in cost, and both with the exact same interior options. The top-of-the-line car may only be available in a solitary fully loaded configuration (sans software options), but with up to three interior designs and most colors.

But really? Given Elon Musk's infatuation with BLACK, it could very well be that Black Hole Infinity Darkness will be the only interior option on the pure performance car, and colors might be limited to BLACK, WHITE, SILVER, and RED. You'd be lucky to see more than that.

"'It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me out,' said Zaphod, whose love affair with the ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight. 'Every time you try and operate these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up in black to let you know you've done it.'" -- Zaphod Beeblebrox, 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' by Douglas Adams

#35 ·
@Bokonon -- Very well said! I agree. There will be trim levels, there will be packages, there will be very few individual options that can or must be chosen a la carte. The base level car will only be available in one or two colors and without any change in cost, and both with the exact same interior options. The top-of-the-line car may only be available in a solitary fully loaded configuration (sans software options), but with up to three interior designs and most colors.

But really? Given Elon Musk's infatuation with BLACK, it could very well be that Black Hole Infinity Darkness will be the only interior option on the pure performance car, and colors might be limited to BLACK, WHITE, SILVER, and RED. You'd be lucky to see more than that.

"'It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me out,' said Zaphod, whose love affair with the ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight. 'Every time you try and operate these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up in black to let you know you've done it.'" -- Zaphod Beeblebrox, 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe' by Douglas Adams
I plan to have my lower lip stuck out in a pout if reservation blue is not available. Just warning in advance.......

#57 ·
My wife and I had a conversation about options on the way back home after dropping off the Model S. We spent a good deal of time in the showroom checking out the Model S and X and honestly they don't have that many options any more.

I told my wife Tesla said Model 3 would have way less options than Model S so imagine,if you will, your choices are really limited to a choice of 5-6 exterior colours, a single black interior for all the cars and 2 battery pack options. It wouldn't be out of the question for an initial run to look like this scenario. Ok I'll give you an extra option for interior colour. Still a very limited numbers of combinations.

Think about it, way less options means you can build thousands very quickly and ship a mix of them to holding lots all over the place and customers could just go and pick one instead of custom ordering and waiting... I can really see this happening and after my experience with a fairly loaded 2015 Model S this weekend I can truly say that there aren't many extra things I'd pay for if I was buying this car. Air suspension: didn't matter. Premium sound: didn't matter. RWD was PLENTY fast and they said Model 3 would have performance very close to this car in the base config so AWD is not required for speed, I can confirm this.

Sunroof: didn't open it and don't care. In the end just give me a big battery pack, standard glass roof a light interior and let me pick my exterior colour and I'm good to go. Autopilot I can upgrade any time afterwards.

The rumblings I was told about, doing more "inventory" sales of Model 3, could point to this as a possible scenario. Elon has been quite vocal about Model 3 not having that many options lately.

#58 ·
(...)

Think about it, way less options means you can build thousands very quickly and ship a mix of them to holding lots all over the place and customers could just go and pick one instead of custom ordering and waiting...

The rumblings I was told about, doing more "incentory" sales of Model 3, could point to this as a possible scenario. Elon has been quite vocal about Model 3 not having that many options lately.
Since the all glass roof is probably standard now, that would leave possibly vegan and/or leather seats, almost unavoidable in the entry luxury segment + maybe 1-2 choices of rims in addition to the base version (the latter being easy to manage)...
Other than these couple of things, you're probably right, Trev...!

Oh... but what about the winter package? That's important for some, including you Ontario friends, no? ;)

By the way, how did it feel to get back into the Lincoln??

#60 ·
Folks, you really have to prepare yourselves for a possible reality of having very limited options choices on Model 3, especially in the beginning. I know it's very easy to look at a Model S and assume we will get the same amount of options but really think we're looking at only the following:

2 battery pack sizes
6 exterior colours
2 interior colours
Glass roof standard (might no even have sunroof at all)
2 wheel designs

And that's it

AWD later in 2017 and performance variant in mid 2018. Over time they will surely play with options as they have with Model S but theyreve been very explicit about not having as many options and features on this car.

Hope I'm wrong on this for everyone's sake but I a feeling the production ramp is critical.

Lastly a couple of tidbits:

1. I was told this week from my reliable source that Model 3 is "drastically on time". He/she would not elaborate on what that meant.

2. Everything on the car was designed purposefully for the car. Shares no parts with Model S at all other than mirrors and autopilot hardware. Even the motors are completely new

Elon again confirmed something cool for those of us who reserved early on March 31

#61 ·
Folks, you really have to prepare yourselves for a possible reality of having very limited options choices on Model 3, especially in the beginning. I know it's very easy to look at a Model S and assume we will get the same amount of options but really think we're looking at only the following:

2 battery pack sizes
6 exterior colours
2 interior colours
Glass roof standard (might no even have sunroof at all)
2 wheel designs
I tend to agree with this notion at a high level. As someone mentioned earlier, though, I think it's also likely that there will either be a winter-weather package offered, or heated seats will be standard (even if only for the front seats). This is true for just about every EV on the market, given the degree to which heated seats improve heating efficiency (and therefore range) during cold weather. I just don't see Tesla not offering any heated seats at all, and risking a wave of bad PR this winter as east-coasters take delivery and are unable to get anywhere near the promised 215 miles per charge.*

* This may happen anyway.

#62 ·
#69 ·
Well I reserved on March 31 in 2016, yes before it opened in the USA. I accept that living on the other side of the planet and driving on the other side of the road will push my delivery out but have fingers crossed that it will be June/July 2018. and with respect of options, my wife is currently looking at a range of cars for herself and I am amazed how the quality of the sound system can vary so much so I hope they have good quality sound available.

#74 ·
extremely high paying, demanding, and extreme pressure.
It hardly seems inconsistent with Elon Musk's attitude that 'on time' and 'extreme pressure' both apply to Model 3 ramp up.

This is a guy so bored with revolutionizing 3 industries, that he start a company literally called The Boring Company to revolutionize a fourth. :cool:o_O

Thank you kindly

#75 ·
This is a guy so bored with revolutionizing 3 industries, that he start a company literally called The Boring Company to revolutionize a fourth. :cool:o_O
Sometimes I think he started The Boring Company solely because it's a fertile ground for dad jokes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.