Model 3 hide away license plate...anyone tried this one?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

DHS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,

finally received my license plates and so now what to do to not mess up the nice front?

I am at the Daly City SC right now and there was a silver model 3 with one of the cheaper bolt mounted plates that are around $12-18 and go on the black grill below the bumper, looked pretty slick but don’t know about long term. She bought the sent on eBay and so I started searching...

...when checking eBay i found this set up:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173244740868

A hide a way setup, appears you have to drill on the underside, no real picture how it is mounted so I was wondering if anyone tried this on a model 3 or S/X

MRinPDX

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi DHS, I too struggled with the decision on which one to go with. There are a few different threads on different options people have liked. I didn't want to stick the molded front plate holder to the paint.
I got this last week and really liked it very much.

Amazon product

JeffcM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got this last week and really liked it very much.
I get the concept, but how does it attach?

Does it “clamp” on to the grill?
Why is one hole slotted?
Can you get us a picture of the actual mounting points?

Thx

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And here is a free one - DIY - open source

3D print this design yourself if you have a 3D printer or on https://www.3dhubs.com

Using ABS Plastic for < $50, Using PLA for < $30

Open Source Link: https://github.com/sevuganhari/sood-tm3

I printed mine on https://www.3dhubs.com, images attached on github.

V2 might be better with ABS plastic.
For fixing license plates you can use
Amazon product
For fixing the holder to black grill, you can use M3x25mm bolt and nut.
I blv. ACE hardware / homedepot / lowes might carry one.

I am working on V3 might include holes.

DHS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These designs look pretty slick, do you have some pictures of the final product on your car +/- the license plate?

I like the design of the 'Bandit' but it is a little to high for my taste, could go a little lower and then it would also hide the 'grill' attachment a little better and still have the front fascia un-obstructed.

I also think the 'Law' is a good design, if only they would have lifted it a little more upwards to not block the airflow but they mention that there should be enough clearance in the front to allow airflow. The other designs I saw are all basically flush right on the number with no spacing and would block airflow more significantly...so not the best choice.

What is your V3 design?

3D print this design yourself if you have a 3D printer or on https://www.3dhubs.com

Amazon product

Amazon product

MRinPDX

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get the concept, but how does it attach?

Does it “clamp” on to the grill?
Why is one hole slotted?
Can you get us a picture of the actual mounting points?

Thx
The bottom bracket slides into the lowest part of the grill where its slot contacts a vertical grill stabilizer. You then rotate the top bracket and hook it around the same vertical bar. It feels very snug when done. Lastly you fasten a screw to tighten it in place. The bottom brackets have some rubber material where they contact the body and same with the plate holder right behind the "3". Those are the three points of contact with the car besides the grill.

I will try to take some more pics but the area is hard to get a decent pic as it is black on black and melds nicely but hard to capture.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These designs look pretty slick, do you have some pictures of the final product on your car +/- the license plate?

I like the design of the 'Bandit' but it is a little to high for my taste, could go a little lower and then it would also hide the 'grill' attachment a little better and still have the front fascia un-obstructed.

I also think the 'Law' is a good design, if only they would have lifted it a little more upwards to not block the airflow but they mention that there should be enough clearance in the front to allow airflow. The other designs I saw are all basically flush right on the number with no spacing and would block airflow more significantly...so not the best choice.

What is your V3 design?
My V3 looks somewhat a mix of v1 and v2 with holes to connect them using M3x25mm bolt nuts.
I hope to produce V3 only after verifying v2's accuracy.
It has a slight angle of 3deg to left and right from center, because the car is not flat in front/ So once validation of V2, I will produce V3.
Nov 3rd / 5th will be V3. Hope to get some pictures of V2 fixed to my car next week.

Attachments

DHS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My V3 looks somewhat a mix of v1 and v2 with holes to connect them using M3x25mm bolt nuts.
I hope to produce V3 only after verifying v2's accuracy.
It has a slight angle of 3deg to left and right from center, because the car is not flat in front/ So once validation of V2, I will produce V3.
Nov 3rd / 5th will be V3. Hope to get some pictures of V2 fixed to my car next week.
Nice, can't wait to see the finished product on the Model3 - I would love to have design that is kind of in between the 'bandit' and the 'law' or the bandit version but lower so it does not completely block the airflow but is low enough to not completely block the front fascia...

DHS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
V3 looks pretty sophisticated, can’t wait to see how it looks on the car. Did you leave the holes for the license plate out on purpose to adjust and fit later?

HappyDad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Word of caution: on another blog or forum someone brought up an excellent point about these front plate holder using front grill. That as ideal as this solution looks, if ever some one parking in front of you backs into your front plate, even gently, it might break your front grills that's supporting this license plate frame, and that might be a costly repair.

As a result, I am now seriously considering using the provided front adhesive plate holder from Tesla, but having a piece of 3M 1080 PPF between frame and bumper paint. That will allow for easy removal without damaging any paint.

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Word of caution: on another blog or forum someone brought up an excellent point about these front plate holder using front grill. That as ideal as this solution looks, if ever some one parking in front of you backs into your front plate, even gently, it might break your front grills that's supporting this license plate frame, and that might be a costly repair.

As a result, I am now seriously considering using the provided front adhesive plate holder from Tesla, but having a piece of 3M 1080 PPF between frame and bumper paint. That will allow for easy removal without damaging any paint.

That is exactly what I did. A small rectangle of XPEL PPF and the adhesive mount supplied by Tesla.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I agree with this very much. I am not sure about the structural stability of the grill either under such cases.
Its a must that everyone considers their best judgement , every other possible option till Tesla comes up with an integrated bumper decal of the license plate which is within state spec. :) (when state law and technology can meet in the future)

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in California. About 5 years ago I got a ticket for no front license plate in my Camry. After amusing the cop with my explanation that 'front plates make the car look stupid' and receiving said ticket, I played a little game the rest of my commute home; how many oncoming cars have front plates vs. how many don't? Concluding it's about 50:50, I'll probably be getting 'The Bandit' to keep handy in the event I get a ticket. I'll install it if so, get the ticket signed off, then (maybe) remove the Bandit to bring back the natural beauty Elon intended.

DHS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in California. About 5 years ago I got a ticket for no front license plate in my Camry. After amusing the cop with my explanation that 'front plates make the car look stupid' and receiving said ticket, I played a little game the rest of my commute home; how many oncoming cars have front plates vs. how many don't? Concluding it's about 50:50, I'll probably be getting 'The Bandit' to keep handy in the event I get a ticket. I'll install it if so, get the ticket signed off, then (maybe) remove the Bandit to bring back the natural beauty Elon intended.
...50:50 is not bad, I am now a frequent visitor of the Daly City SC and while charging I checked how many of the Model3's charging do actually have the front license plate installed and by my count it's more like 70% of M3's without a front license plate (!)

MRinPDX

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I agree. If someone backs into the plate-holder I put on mine, they will have damaged the bumper as well so I will be pissed. And downtown Portlanders are the worst drivers in a ****** driving (but otherwise awesome) city.