Model 3 Frunk won't release all the way

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3 days in to ownership when I press to open the Frunk it opens partially there is a gap but it's still latched so I can't open it.
Anyone have any idea how to open the frunk. It worked before just stopped functioning properly.

Thanks
Chris

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure, but I think that there's a timer if you don't open fast enough. I just reach in the car and hit the open button and it then opens.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Try opening it with the app right in front of the hood, and open immediately, like the previous poster mentioned. If that still doesn't work, you might have a stuck latch. I had this issue on my S, which needed to be lubricated by the service center.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My frunk got stuck today too. It will pop open slightly, but it's like the latch is stuck. Tried numerous things, such as rebooting the car, using the app to open and grabbing it right as it's opening, even tried getting my fingers in there to knock it loose or something. Guess we'll be making another stop at the service center, 3rd time in 3 months of ownership.

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same problem. Seems secondary latch not opening. May be software glitch. Have to call SC

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine failed yesterday. All of my work notebooks and papers are stuck in there... At least it wasnt groceries like the guy that posted on reddit. Earliest they can get me in is Thursday.

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I kept my tennis shoes there. Wondering after opening the frunk how SC guys feel. They have ordered the latch and yet to arrive... and I have to drive 400Km to get it repaired.

Dl6684

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Mine failed yesterday. All of my work notebooks and papers are stuck in there... At least it wasnt groceries like the guy that posted on reddit. Earliest they can get me in is Thursday.
Did he ever post a follow up!? I wonder how things worked out for him. His story is why I just took everything out of my frunk.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine just failed. Tried opening in car then again with phone....no luck. The worst part is I am 7 hours away from service.
Mobile Rangers will come to your house or business and make that repair for you, down side it it may take a few weeks to get a Ranger out to you.

I'm still perplexed that the latch on the Frunk is still an issue for all Tesla's. It been an ongoing problem for years, a re design is in order!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mobile Rangers will come to your house or business and make that repair for you, down side it it may take a few weeks to get a Ranger out to you.

I'm still perplexed that the latch on the Frunk is still an issue for all Tesla's. It been an ongoing problem for years, a re design is in order!
I have had a few ranger visits already unfortunately. Mobile service has been an excellent resource and the manager has already responded to my email. A few weeks out and it should be fixed.

simpsonhomer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Add me to the list. Today my frunk no longer opens. It'll crack open but remains stuck on its secondary latch. I've tried everything mentioned here to no avail. I emailed the SC. I'm on firmware 42.4 if that matters (August 2018 delivery).

Luckily I only had some empty grocery bags in there (ironically, my environmentally-friendly car prevented me from using environmentally-friendly reusable bags today).

Vidya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to drive 4 hrs to SC to replace this latch. Its been 3 weeks and still didnt heard anything from SC about part.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a second actuator that holds the frunk and on mine this unit got defective and they had to replace it.
If you call Tesla customer support they can diagnose it online and will schedule a repair, that takes around 30mins.
See the part that was replaced.
THAT actuator solenoid is the only one that the car uses to open the front boot (aka "Frunk") on the passenger side of the boot. The other one (drivers side) is the emergency "trapped chold" safety release actuated only by the illuminated button in the boot bin/bucket.

More details and pics:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/automatic-trunk-opener-closer.9800/page-2#post-175803