Model 3 Front Plate holder

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
My recent visit I was told the OEM Tesla plate holder used adhesive AND 2 screws that attach under the front bumper instead through the dead center of the front like every other front plate does. I was told even if you take it off you'll never see the holes
It's common human nature, if someone doesn't know what they are talking about, they might just make something up (out of thin air) that sounds good (or seems plausible)! Better than saying "I don't know" because that would require more work.

Happens all the time and it troubles me.

Last edited:

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Although I've gotten a lot of conflicting information from reps in the Tesla showrooms as a whole... My recent visit I was told the OEM Tesla plate holder used adhesive AND 2 screws that attach under the front bumper instead through the dead center of the front like every other front plate does. I was told even if you take it off you'll never see the holes

I'll need a front plate in NY... But I'll be damn sure driving without one until I get reprimanded
I bought a car last year in upstate NY, and the dealer asked if I wanted the front plate installed. I said "no" - I've been driving cars without front plates in states that require them since a 1991 Miata. Even when stopped for speeding a few times, it's never been a problem. I was asked in Mt. Kisco the same question, and I said "no" again. Surprising, since I'd heard it is enforced downstate. That made six cars in my collection without front plates.

But it's now down to five again: a small-town deputy got me last month. A local deputy I know was appalled, he himself was cavalier about it, had written only two tickets over his career (for bad attitudes). I went to the small town court and had a good time with the judge - she was a "car guy". Got off with the smallest fine possible - might have been as much as $293. But be careful in Wells, NY.

The screws that came with my mount were for the plate-to-mount attachment, not the mount-to-car attachment. Nice screws, came in a carefully labeled bag - a quality touch for something a customer would rarely see.

Last edited:

MrMannilow

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a car last year in upstate NY, and the dealer asked if I wanted the front plate installed. I said "no" - I've been driving cars without front plates in states that require them since a 1991 Miata. Even when stopped for speeding a few times, it's never been a problem. I was asked in Mt. Kisco the same question, and I said "no" again. Surprising, since I'd heard it is enforced downstate. That made six cars in my collection without front plates.
Thanks for all the replies to my question everyone.

@ADK46 I'll be taking delivery of my M3 AWD first thing Tuesday at Mt Kisco and driving back to Buffalo. I simply asked they do not mount it and they were fine with that.

Are you running a plate now? If so oem mount or one of the ones that clip on? I'm leaning towards the clip on ones so I can clean behind there more easily

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for all the replies to my question everyone.

@ADK46 I'll be taking delivery of my M3 AWD first thing Tuesday at Mt Kisco and driving back to Buffalo. I simply asked they do not mount it and they were fine with that.

Are you running a plate now? If so oem mount or one of the ones that clip on? I'm leaning towards the clip on ones so I can clean behind there more easily
Congratulations! I hope you arrive home without salt buildup or the need to engage slip-start.

I used the Tesla-supplied self-adhesive, screw-less, puncture-free mount. That solves one of the problems I have with front plates, the other being esthetic - but in my case NY orange on black isn't so horrible and, after all, there is no grill to obscure. You're bringing up a third issue - cleaning behind a plate/mount. I'm more of an Oscar than a Felix...

Good luck.

[Something my Buffalo neighbors will appreciate: My plow truck which, like most, does not have a front plate.]

inShedWithPlow.jpg

MrMannilow

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congratulations! I hope you arrive home without salt buildup or the need to engage slip-start.
Actually had a great day to drive home the weather was perfect. The Mt Kisco delivery was downright awful. I was there for more than 4 hours before I could see the car and get on the road for a 9 hour journey home. They didn't care to acknowledge my fit and finish items it was clear they just wanted to get you out of the delivery bay.

I'm skipping the plate all together. So far so good after a week of ownership now but she's tucked away until after the snow comes and goes. Here's to a mild Buffalo winter!

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys, I'll pitch in with my decision with regards to the front plate. I'm in BC so front plates are mandatory...so they say. I see lots of cars without one every day. Well, I did drive a while without one because I did not want the front mount installed on delivery and also loved the UN-lincensed front end of my M3. Finally, just to stop living dangerously I went for the Cravenspeed Platypus. The instructions were pretty straightforward and ended up quite satisfied with the result. No issues with the sensors.
For whoever is interested in the install and looks, check it here: http://www.thebrainspike.com/tesla-model-3-tow-hook-license-plate-mount/

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys, I'll pitch in with my decision with regards to the front plate. I'm in BC so front plates are mandatory...so they say. I see lots of cars without one every day. Well, I did drive a while without one because I did not want the front mount installed on delivery and also loved the UN-lincensed front end of my M3. Finally, just to stop living dangerously I went for the Cravenspeed Platypus. The instructions were pretty straightforward and ended up quite satisfied with the result. No issues with the sensors.
For whoever is interested in the install and looks, check it here: http://www.thebrainspike.com/tesla-model-3-tow-hook-license-plate-mount/
I'd be worried about that thing flapping a little in the wind at-speed and adding scratches to the front bumper. It doesn't appear to sit far enough in front of the bumper to prevent that, and the single mounting point will be conducive to that happening.

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd be worried about that thing flapping a little in the wind at-speed and adding scratches to the front bumper. It doesn't appear to sit far enough in front of the bumper to prevent that, and the single mounting point will be conducive to that happening.
I know it looks that way, but that thing is rock solid. Just after installing it, before turning the car on to check the sensors, I did try to bend it a bit backwards to give one sensor a bit of a better clearance, no chance. It's thick solid steel plate.

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but the asymmetrical positioning of the plate would trigger my OCD. :eek:
You know what? I am a bit that way too, but for me it's not alignment and symmetry, but more cleanliness and clean lines. Having the plastic mount I felt like it would collect a lot of dirt around it and having it stuck with adhesive to that beautiful front end, just felt wrong and made me kind of resent that person in charge of slapping the mount on the bumper. I know, first world problems ....

Olds442

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hahahahahaha, if anyone needs this stock front bracket and included stuffs for the model 3, let me know, I have two available.
Illinois requires the front plate but I will never put a front plate on a Tesla.
I will appeal to the officers better sense of aesthetics.
I will then put my best case forward regarding aerodynamics.
If that fails I will ask him if you would like to test drive the car.
If he writes me a ticket I will give the judge the same options.
It's Illinois, I know I'll be paying the fine eventually.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know if the Model 3 shares the same tow hook threads as another car. I found the USMillworks bracket, which has a lot of adjust ability for positioning, but they only sell their known kits, and state they don't sell kits for other cars not on the list. Can't get a hold of anyone there it seems, even with the size of the bolt I would need.
http://www.usmillworks.com/

So with some quick measuring, it looks like the tow hook is a Left Hand Thread M18x2.5 (Can anyone confirm that?). Need a bolt 3+ inches from the bolt seat to the back of wherever the plate mounting apparatus sits. Looking around online, I can't seem to find tow hooks or anything with the bolt thread specs listed, they are all listed for the specific make and model of the car. Frustrating as I assume some other cars use the same thread, and could probably order a kit if I just knew what other cars had the same threads.

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You could take the tow hook (in the front trunk) to some of your friends and try it on their cars, see if it fits. You could also try this with a few major dealerships, I am pretty sure they may have some cars for you to try it on. I believe big brands usually use the same thread on all their cars.

JoeP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
where are the two hooks on the Model 3? I havent seen them. Are they actually behind some of those round plastic cutouts the you see on the front bumper cover?

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
where are the two hooks on the Model 3? I havent seen them. Are they actually behind some of those round plastic cutouts the you see on the front bumper cover?
If you’re asking about where the tow hook mounts, yes, there is one round cutout on the driver side of the bumper. The small plastic cap can be removed.
If you’re asking where the actual hook is, that’s in the front trunk under the mat.