Model 3 Front Plate holder

Cernie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
DMV doesn't care. You paid for the plate either way. Police care because they like to use plates as an easy target point for radar guns.
I live in California (requires front license) and had a policeman at my house for a different matter (I was filing a police report on some dude that stole a package from my front door...even though I have a Ring video doorbell!!!). I asked the cop about why police weren't enforcing the front license plate law. He told me they actually like folks not having front license plates because it give them a reason to pull over suspicious vehicles (he was serious!).

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just saw this YouTube vid on a cheap DIY front license plate mount:
I wouldn't want to block the center airflow that cools the batteries and A/C heat exchanger (for efficiency reasons). Especially if I lived in a hot climate!

I just used the high-quality double-sided foam tape that came with the plate mount. Pretty sure it's not going anywhere!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the Bandit has the cleanest look and most non-evasive since it is more of a clip on instead of screwing into any bodywork BUT with the plate holder sticking proud of the bumper it totally defeats the purpose of the bumper. I rolled into a C-class at a stop light (rolling really slowly while I thought it was on HOLD, while attending to a scream toddler), the bumper just touches the car in front and we both stopped and looked at our bumpers, there weren't even a scratch. If I had any license plate holder on the bumper it would have been a >$500 fix for both cars.

Since I don't have to park at the street now I would just leave it out until I get a fix-it ticket. Will see if someone can find a way to hang the bumper without interfering its ability to absorb any impact.

Country
Country
this is what you need!...

That’s cool! Where can we get one of those?

Although I’m gravely concerned about the high probability of scraping it against a concrete parking stop, and whether it’s susceptible to damage during excessive vibration or wind resistance at high speeds. Does it hold up well to those conditions?

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s cool! Where can we get one of those?

Although I’m gravely concerned about the high probability of scraping it against a concrete parking stop, and whether it’s susceptible to damage during excessive vibration or wind resistance at high speeds. Does it hold up well to those conditions?
From a place called Calibred Customs (https://www.calibredcustoms.com/). They said it costs $400 installed. I don't think they sell individually. You can actually get the same motorized plate on Amazon. It's basically an Altec plate () so they charge about $300 to install and wire up.

Yeah I agree that there are concerns about it scraping on curbs/parking stops, but it doesn't seem like it hangs that much lower than the bumper. In my case, I would have it retracted full time so I'm not worried about the wind. Over here in CA (especially SF) parking enforcement likes to ticket if there is no front plate. It's a fix-it ticket but a pain in the ass to get it taken care of. So I figured this would be good to display after parking and then retract when I leave. Haven't pulled the trigger on it as I'm wondering if I can just install it myself and save myself $300

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This would be somewhat perfect. I have been fantasizing something like this for a long time. I actually purchased the retractable plate assembly (minus motor) long time ago hoping to install on my prelude but in the up position the plastic plate bracket is pretty flimsy. I don't think the whole assembly is sturdy enough and I worry that it will flip/flop and scratch the paints on the bumper more than anything. ODub's idea might work better to entertain parking enforcements.

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, to clarify I would only use this to keep from getting tickets when parked on city streets. Otherwise, it would be retracted all the time. And if you do get pulled over you can show him the front plate, but if you still get a fix it ticket, at least this fix it ticket would be easy to remedy. Just pull up with the plate in the front, and they won't have any clue that it can retract once you pull out. The only thing that gets me is that you still have to drill the bracket on the underside of the bumper. I don't think there is any way around that.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Would a spring loaded bracket work? That way if you take a bump on the license plate it would have some give and not crack the intake vents. Also might make enough noise for a driver to stop before actually hitting the bumper.

ODub

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would a spring loaded bracket work? That way if you take a bump on the license plate it would have some give and not crack the intake vents. Also might make enough noise for a driver to stop before actually hitting the bumper.
I'm sure a spring loaded bracket would work better, but the nice thing about the Altec is it is remote controlled. I'm guessing with the spring loaded you would need to manually release and that would be a hassle every time I parked and got ready to leave. They have the sto n show meant mainly for car show enthusiasts. You can manually remove the front plate for car showing, and then stick it back on with a cotter pin type clip

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the Bandit has the cleanest look and most non-evasive since it is more of a clip on instead of screwing into any bodywork BUT with the plate holder sticking proud of the bumper it totally defeats the purpose of the bumper. I rolled into a C-class at a stop light (rolling really slowly while I thought it was on HOLD, while attending to a scream toddler), the bumper just touches the car in front and we both stopped and looked at our bumpers, there weren't even a scratch. If I had any license plate holder on the bumper it would have been a >$500 fix for both cars.

Since I don't have to park at the street now I would just leave it out until I get a fix-it ticket. Will see if someone can find a way to hang the bumper without interfering its ability to absorb any impact.
+1 for the Bandit. I opted for this because I have to have front plate and I didnt want the Tesla one. This once is a good compromise as it doesnt block airflow. My only complaint is that it is way too expensive for what it is. It's about 6-10$ in parts for over $100? C'mon.

roarkrd

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
F432051F-F575-4E96-939A-CD1F337923C0.jpeg 1FD6EB42-8AE9-4F62-9681-B78C84CA04F5.jpeg

I thought I’d give the OEM plate holder over the grill a try. It actually seems to work pretty well, and is plenty sturdy. I considered purchasing The Bandit, but that’s a lot of money for something that’s just going to hold my license plate. If I decide I don’t like this, I’ll look into some of the other options.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought I’d give the OEM plate holder over the grill a try.
That little bit of grill that the car has is used to cool the battery and motors. You may end up with overheating issues at some point with this setup.

roarkrd

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
That little bit of grill that the car has is used to cool the battery and motors. You may end up with overheating issues at some point with this setup.
I’m well aware of it’s purpose, that’s why I mentioned I’m giving it a try. Though, I suspect it’s not going to be an issue.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m well aware of it’s purpose, that’s why I mentioned I’m giving it a try. Though, I suspect it’s not going to be an issue.
Probably not, if you're not going to be stressing the car too much.