Model 3 Extended Warranty?

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Guys, does anyone know if Tesla will offer an extended warranty for the 3?

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good question, I'd like to know that as well. I'd be up for an additional 24 months

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Its unknown at the moment but I really hope they do.

Trebonius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They don't currently offer one as far as I can tell. Some insurance companies offer an additional type of insurance coverage that ends up being very similar to an extended warranty, but paid out periodically like your insurance, rather than a lump sum upfront.

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They don't currently offer one as far as I can tell. Some insurance companies offer an additional type of insurance coverage that ends up being very similar to an extended warranty, but paid out periodically like your insurance, rather than a lump sum upfront.
Geico offers a warranty on powertrain type stuff, for 5 years 60K miles, but I dont see that being long enough nor useful.

Trebonius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been considering it. I need to do some math with the cost and compare it to comparable third party extended warranties and VSCs.

Drhalo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've always been leery of 3rd party warranties. I'm not sure any of them know how to deal with EVs. The Geico one is a couple of hundred a year but I wonder what it actually covers.
What's the warranty on the drive units in the Tesla and what is the out of warranty cost? If the screen dies is that covered under the Geico warranty?

Trebonius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's wise to be wary of these things, even ignoring the complications of an EV in an ICE world. These companies expect to make a profit, so you're only likely to benefit financially if you are are unluckier than most.

That said, EVs are not a rare as they once were. Geico has certainly had experience with Teslas and other EVs by now. Of course, I have no idea how it will turn out in reality.

For me, the cost appears to be about $60/year. It wouldn't take much to pay for itself. On the other hand, since Tesla's warranty is 4yr for basic and 8yr for powertrain, Geico's 7yr wouldn't ever have to cover powertrain, and only 3 years of basic. And anything that slides through the warranty gaps.

However, since it's insurance and not a warranty, it's defined through exclusions rather than by listing covered items. This should be very good for EV drivers. The exclusion list seems reasonable, and is limited to corrosion issues, maintenance, and anything caused by collision, neglect, or intent. Apparently it even covers aftermarket parts and mods.