Model 3 Employee Deliveries Starting in New York

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
20171021_175955.jpg
The first Model 3 VIN #381 was delivered to a Tesla employee 2 days ago. It was parked at the Manhasset Americana store where I saw it today and I was disappointed.
20171021_175733.jpg
20171021_175756.jpg
The sun was starting to set and I couldn’t see the gorgeous sparkles that I knew were hiding in the paint. A crowd was gathered and though I was offered by the owner to sit in the car, I didn’t want to open a can of worms where everyone and their cousin would now try to violate his car. Above all, I was disappointed that I STILL had to wait for my Model 3.
20171021_175705.jpg
20171021_180349.jpg But of course, the car looks better in person like everyone else has said. It was white with aero wheels. Everything else was what we would expect. PUP, full glass roof, black interior. The car was parked next to a red Model S and looked about 10-20% smaller in exterior dimensions. The handles for doors on the drivers side is designed to best be opened with the left hand and vice versa for passenger side doors. Push the wider part of the handle with the left thumb and the slender part that you pull angles nicely into an easily grasped position. It’s possible to open the door with the right hand but then you would need to do it palm up and then let go of the handle and walk around the open door. Not as smooth as opening with the left hand. Being a frameless window, pushing the wider part of the handle automatically drops the window an inch to clear the door seal and the door unlatches and opens a crack. Then you need to manually pull the door the rest of the way by pulling the skinny part of the door handle. The doors close with a solid, German thud. No cheap tinny sound here!
20171021_180143.jpg

20171021_180212.jpg
Again, I didn’t sit in the car or play with the UI but we know the experience only gets better from the driver’s seat.

I did get flat on my back and looked under the rear bumper. No simple small trim cover to remove for the tow hitch but I did see that the entire trim panel under the bumper had tabs that made it look easily removable. I wonder what lives under there! I can’t imagine that there is no way to install a tow hitch with all of the external bike carriers that are used in California!
20171021_175642.jpg
So now that I’ve actually laid my eyes of the mythical creature that is the Tesla Model 3, I can dream happy dreams until the few months pass when we can actually have our own!

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 3845
The first Model 3 VIN #381 was delivered to a Tesla employee 2 days ago. It was parked at the Manhasset Americana store where I saw it today and I was disappointed.
View attachment 3846
View attachment 3849
The sun was starting to set and I couldn’t see the gorgeous sparkles that I knew were hiding in the paint. A crowd was gathered and though I was offered by the owner to sit in the car, I didn’t want to open a can of worms where everyone and their cousin would now try to violate his car. Above all, I was disappointed that I STILL had to wait for my Model 3.
View attachment 3847
View attachment 3850 But of course, the car looks better in person like everyone else has said. It was white with aero wheels. Everything else was what we would expect. PUP, full glass roof, black interior. The car was parked next to a red Model S and looked about 10-20% smaller in exterior dimensions. The handles for doors on the drivers side is designed to best be opened with the left hand and vice versa for passenger side doors. Push the wider part of the handle with the left thumb and the slender part that you pull angles nicely into an easily grasped position. It’s possible to open the door with the right hand but then you would need to do it palm up and then let go of the handle and walk around the open door. Not as smooth as opening with the left hand. Being a frameless window, pushing the wider part of the handle automatically drops the window an inch to clear the door seal and the door unlatches and opens a crack. Then you need to manually pull the door the rest of the way by pulling the skinny part of the door handle. The doors close with a solid, German thud. No cheap tinny sound here!
View attachment 3851

View attachment 3852
Again, I didn’t sit in the car or play with the UI but we know the experience only gets better from the driver’s seat.

I did get flat on my back and looked under the rear bumper. No simple small trim cover to remove for the tow hitch but I did see that the entire trim panel under the bumper had tabs that made it look easily removable. I wonder what lives under there! I can’t imagine that there is no way to install a tow hitch with all of the external bike carriers that are used in California!
View attachment 3848
So now that I’ve actually laid my eyes of the mythical creature that is the Tesla Model 3, I can dream happy dreams until the few months pass when we can actually have our own!
Great details and wow you have some willpower to pass down the offer to sit in it and play!

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! Those are some of the best pics I have seen. Great to see real full resolution shots of color I plan to get (including aero). But I definitely don't care for chrome with white (or red) so I will be wrapping all the chrome in black.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Great details and wow you have some willpower to pass down the offer to sit in it and play!
Yes. I needed to use every ounce of willpower to pass on the opportunity but as you can see, the car was parked in a very busy public lot and after 10 minutes, there were about 50 people already gathering around.

Honestly, @RiggerJon and @PTFI have given us such amazing details, I really only have a handful of unanswered questions, many of which will have a different answer by the time I actually take delivery of my M3s because the UI will change by then. At this point, I only want a test drive and I know that won’t come for many months unless I can get a ride from a buddy.

The Model 3 is a tremendous engineering masterpiece and has a special beauty with broad based appeal. Sure, there will be some that don’t agree with me because everyone has different tastes. After all, SOME people bought AMC Gremlins, Yugos, and Pontiac Aztecs....

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why were you disappointed with it??

Country
Country
Why were you disappointed with it??
He explained in his post...
The sun was starting to set and I couldn’t see the gorgeous sparkles that I knew were hiding in the paint. A crowd was gathered and though I was offered by the owner to sit in the car, I didn’t want to open a can of worms where everyone and their cousin would now try to violate his car. Above all, I was disappointed that I STILL had to wait for my Model 3.... But of course, the car looks better in person like everyone else has said. It was white with aero wheels. Everything else was what we would expect. PUP, full glass roof, black interior. The car was parked next to a red Model S and looked about 10-20% smaller in exterior dimensions. The handles for doors on the drivers side is designed to best be opened with the left hand and vice versa for passenger side doors. Push the wider part of the handle with the left thumb and the slender part that you pull angles nicely into an easily grasped position. It’s possible to open the door with the right hand but then you would need to do it palm up and then let go of the handle and walk around the open door. Not as smooth as opening with the left hand. Being a frameless window, pushing the wider part of the handle automatically drops the window an inch to clear the door seal and the door unlatches and opens a crack. Then you need to manually pull the door the rest of the way by pulling the skinny part of the door handle. The doors close with a solid, German thud. No cheap tinny sound here!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes. I needed to use every ounce of willpower to pass on the opportunity but as you can see, the car was parked in a very busy public lot and after 10 minutes, there were about 50 people already gathering around.

Honestly, @RiggerJon and @PTFI have given us such amazing details, I really only have a handful of unanswered questions, many of which will have a different answer by the time I actually take delivery of my M3s because the UI will change by then. At this point, I only want a test drive and I know that won’t come for many months unless I can get a ride from a buddy.

The Model 3 is a tremendous engineering masterpiece and has a special beauty with broad based appeal. Sure, there will be some that don’t agree with me because everyone has different tastes. After all, SOME people bought AMC Gremlins, Yugos, and Pontiac Aztecs....
Headed to the mall today that has a Tesla store, should there be a Model 3 I will not show the same restraint. Will make sure to swing by the Tesla charging area in the parking garage as well :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No dice here in South Florida. They still are hopeful to have a car for test drives for the holiday season but they really don’t have any info....

The few employees with early reservations were holding out for standard battery.

Country
Country
No dice here in South Florida. They still are hopeful to have a car for test drives for the holiday season but they really don’t have any info....

The few employees with early reservations were holding out for standard battery.
I was speaking with a few employees up in Jax a few weeks ago and they said they were waiting for the standard battery as well, but all had access to the configurator. Hoping for a test drive sooner than December, but was given the same timeline.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was speaking with a few employees up in Jax a few weeks ago and they said they were waiting for the standard battery as well, but all had access to the configurator. Hoping for a test drive sooner than December, but was given the same timeline.
I’m very curious what order this list falls...

• I place my order and lock in a non-refundable $3,500
  • I see a Model 3 in person
  • I sit in a Model 3
  • I test drive a Model 3
  • I take delivery of my Model 3
On some level I anticipate that I will have at least ordered the car before ever sitting in it and possibly before ever even seeing it.

I do have a trip to Los Angeles for a few days for work in November, so I am hopeful that I get a chance to see one on the road.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

• I sit in a Model 3
  • I test drive a Model 3
On some level I anticipate that I will have at least ordered the car before ever sitting in it and possibly before ever even seeing it.

I do have a trip to Los Angeles for a few days for work in November, so I am hopeful that I get a chance to see one on the road.
So if you label your 5 items A-E, I am guessing B, A, and CDE at the same time. Maybe if you're lucky, you will get C before DE.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@Brokerdoc, how are the aero wheels in person? Better?
The Aeros are not my style but I will not be spending more on the Sport wheels. I can absolutely live with the "naked" aeros and put darker caps over the lugs. Kinda like what OCDetailing did but with the dark lug caps.
Tesla noaero.png
Tesla-Model-S-P85-21in-Turbine-wheels-1280x851.jpg

I'll put the aero covers back on if I want to do a road trip and improve the range or if I want to embarrass the kids when I drop them off at school. If they get me REALLY mad, I'll put these covers on instead....

Spinner Hubcaps.gif

Chihuahua

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

• I sit in a Model 3
  • I test drive a Model 3

So if you label your 5 items A-E, I am guessing B, A, and CDE at the same time. Maybe if you're lucky, you will get C before DE.
Given the same parameters, I would expect BAECD. I have serious doubts that there will be cars available for test drives until spring 2018. My guess is that you get your car, and the first one you sit in is your's and ditto for the test drive.

JohnnieB

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Cincinnati, OH has a Model 3. Just got word from a co-worker this morning that their neighbor brought home their model 3 just last night!! She said they used to work for Tesla and has the first customer delivery in Ohio. Knowing that I'm anxiously waiting she said she would ask them if I could come look at it and hopefully drive it!!!!

NoVADrew

omg I have a VIN
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Strange. In my opinion, in 99% of cases since the invention of the car, ordering the vehicle is the last step.
Different rules for high demand products with limited production. By early next year, ordering will be the last step, but for now, there is no benefit to producing hundreds of test drive cars when thousands of people will buy the car sight unseen.

I've test driven one... it's awesome. Keep an eye out for Tesla stores in your area as employees start to take delivery. They will likely let people stop in and sit in the car.