Model 3 DIY Projects

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got bored sitting around waiting for my model 3 today so I decided to fire up my 3D printer. This is what came out:

lug-cover-jpg.3773

These are made of soft TPU (ninjaflex to be exact) like the one on the cell phone cover.
The first hexagonal set conform to the lug nuts, but seems too plain for me.
The second, cylindrical ones, will fill the niche nicely but may be difficult to remove.
The third is thinner wall and is designed to be left in place even during the use of the lug wrench.
If they get damage in the process, pull them off, and put on a new one.

What do you think?

Kind of silly of me, as I have no car to test fit it on.
CJ

tfederov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those are sweet. I have zero abilities for this stuff. The only DIY project I've done so far is replace my phone case so it'll sit correctly in the cubby on top of the charger. #IknowImlame :)

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Griff,
This is just a fun hobby for me. They are very cheap to build but take a long time to print, even on my very fast home built printer. 3D printers are great prototyping tools but too slow for production. So no, they are not for sale. But if you can bear the wait, when I finalize my design and tested them on my M3, then I'll print both of us a copy. In the mean time, what do you think about the designs? Any suggestion on improvements?

Garsh,
I have no car to test them on now. When I know for sure they will work well and look good, I'll definitely share.

Now, I have a four hours before my cougars take the field. That's just enough time to get started on my next project - a wheel center cap. I'll post pictures if I make any progress before the game.

CJ

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
img_20171014_131343806-jpg.3778

This is what I have so far.

Melinda, I am pretty sure the copyright rules do not apply to individuals building things for personal use. But, I built a copy of your version anyway. What do you think?

The game is about to start. The silver versions will have to wait for tomorrow.

CJ

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the mean time, what do you think about the designs?
I think all three look good. I'm wondering how hard they'll be to get back off, especially the round ones. I guess that TPU is soft & flexible enough to just pull & wiggle.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 3778

This is what I have so far.

Melinda, I am pretty sure the copyright rules do not apply to individuals building things for personal use. But, I built a copy of your version anyway. What do you think?

The game is about to start. The silver versions will have to wait for tomorrow.

CJ
I like the original logo a lot!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

agree - if for your own use, there isn't any issue, but if you were to make them for others - or offer the 3Dprinter pattern for others to use, there could be issues.

Model34mePlease

Country
Country
I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it, there is no exception for 'personal use'. There is an education exception and an exception for 'Fair Use'. The exception for 'Fair Use' is complicated, but doesn't just exempt because the use is personal.

Ed: Also, I think the issue here might be Trademark law, not copyright.

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the mean time, what do you think about the designs? Any suggestion on improvements?
I love it. I really like the ones all the way to the right. Could you put the logo on the lug caps themselves? I think that's what MelindaV was suggesting. I'm handy, but I don't think I could master 3D printing.

Country
Country
I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it, there is no exception for 'personal use'. There is an education exception and an exception for 'Fair Use'. The exception for 'Fair Use' is complicated, but doesn't just exempt because the use is personal.

What would be a legal issue? If it's not commercialized or used for profit it doesn't affect the holder of the trademark. It's not like they could sue for lost earnings. It's the same as if you drew the Tesla logo on a bar napkin, or made a screensaver for personal use.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1114

U.S. CodeTitle 15Chapter 22Subchapter III › § 1114
15 U.S. Code § 1114 - Remedies; infringement; innocent infringement by printers and publishers

1) Any person who shall, without the consent of the registrant—
(a)
use in commerce any reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation of a registered mark in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services
on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive; or
(b)
reproduce, counterfeit, copy, or colorably imitate a registered mark and apply such reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation to labels, signs, prints, packages, wrappers, receptacles or advertisements intended to be used in commerce upon or in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of goods or services on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive,
shall be liable in a civil action by the registrant for the remedies hereinafter provided. Under subsection (b) hereof, the registrant shall not be entitled to recover profits or damages unless the acts have been committed with knowledge that such imitation is intended to be used to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive.

My interpretation of this law is that personal use does not apply, no exemption necessary. Let me know if you have an alternate interpretation. This is supposed to be a fun hobby for me. It is not worth getting anyone upset over it.
CJ

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think all three look good. I'm wondering how hard they'll be to get back off, especially the round ones. I guess that TPU is soft & flexible enough to just pull & wiggle.
They are pretty soft plastic so getting them on should not be a problem. The suction effect will make it harder to get them off. That's why I like the ones on the right. You don't have to take them off at all once they're on. They cover the lug nut very closely so you can still use the lug wrench with them on. If they're damaged the suction should be broken so they would peel off very easily. Will field test once the car arrives.

I like the original logo a lot!
Are you referring to the three stripes?

Could you put the logo on the lug caps themselves?
That's pretty easy to do, but you can barely see them on that little bitty cover. Also you are referring to the three stripes and not the Tesla T ofcourse?

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am just experimenting with techniques and finishes:

The left is silver paint, the middle is chrome vinyl wrap, and the right is plastidip with silver metalizer. I am in a hurry this morning, so the jobs are a little sloppy, and these are just test pieces anyway. Normally, the silver paint once dry will need a few layers of clears and should look the best. The vinyl wrap doesn't look very durable as an external surfave. The platidip while not the best finish, is the easiest to work with and is fully reversible. That maybe the finish I'll go with on the wheels.

img_20171015_111709006-jpg.3792