Model 3 display warns "Software update required"

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For several days my Model 3 has continuously displayed this warning "Software update required. Contact Tesla service." My current version is 2019.8.1. Previously I had been getting over-the-air updates successfully. Does this mean that I cannot get an update now?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Try calling in to see if they can force it over the air. You are definitely stuck in time. That release goes back to March timeframe and there have easily been 10 releases, or maybe a few more that have come since then. Give them a call, they may require you have to stop in or they could send someone out, but they might be able to just push remotely from you phoning in.

Edit - and welcome to the forum.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Previously I had been getting over-the-air updates successfully. Does this mean that I cannot get an update now?
My guess is you'll be able to download over-the-air updates again after Tesla service manually updates your car to the latest firmware. Firmware downloads sometimes fail (e.g. due to network connection issues), and it's possible that, in your case, the number of failures has exceeded some threshold that triggers the warning you're seeing.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For several days my Model 3 has continuously displayed this warning "Software update required. Contact Tesla service." My current version is 2019.8.1. Previously I had been getting over-the-air updates successfully. Does this mean that I cannot get an update now?
Do you ever connect your car to WiFi?

Country
Country
1) Check your wifi connection. 2) Do a soft reboot. 3) Try the install again using Tesla app. If you are still having issues, call Tesla or schedule service using the app.