Model 3 Display Freezing?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my Model 3 exactly a week, and every single day, at least once, the display has frozen and becomes completely unresponsive.

The only way to get it to work again is to reboot the display (holding both buttons on steering wheel). The first time it happened I left it alone for the day while at work, and 8 hours later, it was still frozen.

Is this happening to anyone else?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, it's never happened to me, and I've had mine almost a week.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my Model 3 exactly a week, and every single day, at least once, the display has frozen and becomes completely unresponsive.

The only way to get it to work again is to reboot the display (holding both buttons on steering wheel). The first time it happened I left it alone for the day while at work, and 8 hours later, it was still frozen.

Is this happening to anyone else?
2 months in and I haven’t seen that even once. What version of software are you on?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Isn't it also more of a "Hard Reset" if you hold the brake pedal while pushing both buttons? Have you gave that a try?

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had a few frozen screen episodes...the car works but it's just more of an inconvenience. I believe the S had these issues as well.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve had the car for over a week and today was my first issue. Upon entering the vehicle, the screen was black and it would not come on. It was the first hot day we have had here and the inside car temperature was 120. After I cooled the car down and put it into reverse, the screen came on. I suspect that this is a related problem to the pixilation issues being reported. One theory is the bracket holding the monitor acts like a heat sink causing overheating. I touched the bracket and it was hot. I will report it and will make sure I pre cool the car remotely before I enter the vehicle. The monitor might need a cooling fan.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It was the first hot day we have had here and the inside car temperature was 120. After I cooled the car down and put it into reverse, the screen came on.
Cabin Overheat Protection should prevent the interior from going over 105°. I'm not sure if that can be turned off/on in the settings?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve had the car for over a week and today was my first issue. Upon entering the vehicle, the screen was black and it would not come on. It was the first hot day we have had here and the inside car temperature was 120. After I cooled the car down and put it into reverse, the screen came on. I suspect that this is a related problem to the pixilation issues being reported. One theory is the bracket holding the monitor acts like a heat sink causing overheating. I touched the bracket and it was hot. I will report it and will make sure I pre cool the car remotely before I enter the vehicle. The monitor might need a cooling fan.
I’ve had that happen twice. Each time I got out of the car, closed the door, opened the door, and the screen came on.

Cabin Overheat Protection should prevent the interior from going over 105°. I'm not sure if that can be turned off/on in the settings?
That’s not available yet for Model 3. The other day after work my car was 130F inside before I started pre-cooling.

oripaamoni

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have had this happen 3 times since I got the car Wednesday. First 2 times I had to hold the 2 school wheels to reboot, the last time it came up after going into reverse, it was only hot in the car during one of those occasions.

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have had this happen 3 times since I got the car Wednesday. First 2 times I had to hold the 2 school wheels to reboot, the last time it came up after going into reverse, it was only hot in the car during one of those occasions.
Same here twice this week I had no camera image in reverse and twice just a
completely black screen.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't seem that written anywhere. Where did you hear about this HARD RESET?
I read it a couple of times elsewhere but after a bit of investigating it might be a myth. I'll do some poking around and see if I can find anything.

Here is a post from @SoFlaModel3:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/alien-chipmunk.6088/#post-77684

However I was reading something similar on a Model S forum that said pressing the brake pedal didn't make a difference (even though others have said it does).

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read it a couple of times elsewhere but after a bit of investigating it might be a myth. I'll do some poking around and see if I can find anything.

Here is a post from @SoFlaModel3:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/alien-chipmunk.6088/#post-77684

However I was reading something similar on a Model S forum that said pressing the brake pedal didn't make a difference (even though others have said it does).
A quick search of the owners manual does state the vehicle should be placed in park prior to holding down both scroll wheels (Page 40). However I know people have posted it can be done while driving. I doubt being in park makes much of a difference, I'd bet it's more of a liability thing.

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
since the speedometer is on the screen, I would imagine it is in Tesla's best interest to say the car needs to be stopped in order to clear the screen (for that matter, I would not be surprised if a future updates requires this).
I agree but I hope they don't require it, I'd rather have the option to reboot on the fly. As long as the driver is aware of what he is doing and the manual states "In Park", I would hope that is good enough for the lawyers.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A quick search of the owners manual does state the vehicle should be placed in park prior to holding down both scroll wheels (Page 40). However I know people have posted it can be done while driving. I doubt being in park makes much of a difference, I'd bet it's more of a liability thing.
Wait to be clear they’ve done it while in drive, but stopped right? With pressing down on the brake as part of the process you can’t actually be driving ;)

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait to be clear they’ve done it while in drive, but stopped right? With pressing down on the brake as part of the process you can’t actually be driving ;)
To be clear the manual doesn't say anything about pressing the brake pedal. From what I've read that might just be a myth carried over from Model S. The manual does say to place it in Park but then if you press on the brake it would not matter. I've read on here where people have pushed both scroll wheels down, while driving the car, and the screen reboots but the car drives like normal. No need to push the brake pedal at all. I think one post even said that cruise control even still worked but don't take my word for it. Anyone want to test if autopilot still works? If not I'll attempt it once I get a car.