Model 3 Design Studio Updated

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
TMC user nullpointer reported that the Model 3 configurator has changed today, and now includes the UI elements necessary to choose different options for Battery, Drivetrain, and Interior.

Before you get too excited: no, no new options have actually become available at this time -- Standard Battery is still listed as "Early '18" and Dual Motors is listed as "Spring '18", and only the Black Premium interior is even visible.

Still, having the framework in place to order configurations other than First Production is a pretty encouraging development!

nc1-jpg.5084
nc2-jpg.5085
nc3-jpg.5086
nc4-jpg.5087

Last edited:
One can only hope that with the option of the ultra white seats, the headliner color will change to black, similar to how it is in the X & S. I think a black headliner will also help with disguising the non-Alcantara headliner that we'll all be getting from here on out. It's going to look brilliant though!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
One can only hope that with the option of the ultra white seats, the headliner color will change to black, similar to how it is in the X & S. I think a black headliner will also help with disguising the non-Alcantara headliner that we'll all be getting from here on out. It's going to look brilliant though!
If my memory serves me well, the release candidates floating around with white interior also have gray headliner.

slasher016

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm a little surprised they updated the designer but didn't update the dates. I think it's pretty safe to say SR battery is going to be later than "early 18" and that AWD won't be ready by "spring 2018" either.

Country
Country
I'm a little surprised they updated the designer but didn't update the dates. I think it's pretty safe to say SR battery is going to be later than "early 18" and that AWD won't be ready by "spring 2018" either.
Well, "Early" can be generously defined as before June 30 and "Spring" is from March 20 to June 21st, so even with no visible progress, those are achievable.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, "Early" can be generously defined as before June 30 and "Spring" is from March 20 to June 21st, so even with no visible progress, those are achievable.
I agree with you on the loose definitions, but meanwhile I'm also skeptical that we see a Standard Battery car by June 30th.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
The Estimator page has also changed a little for those that deferred their invites. It looks a little buggy now but references an ‘options selector’ instead of the old Estimator that simply said ‘available now’

10d78044-a084-46cb-9bb4-38b830f1a579-jpeg.5088

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The Estimator page has also changed a little for those that deferred their invites. It looks a little buggy now but references an ‘options selector’ instead of the old Estimator that simply said ‘available now’

View attachment 5088
View attachment 5089
I don't see that -- the glitch must be tied having been invited on first production.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Glad to see there is movement. Still wonder how they will prioritize Ontario vs US as both sets of customers may lose incentives this year.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
SR is there to select, same with Dual - both would just give a further out delivery date it looks like.
Just to be clear, I asked the person who shared these screenshots whether Standard Battery and AWD were selectable, and he confirmed that they are not selectable at this time.

Gonzo

Country
Country
Dual Motors is listed as "Spring '18"
Interesting. I stood in line and got my reservation in within the first 1.5 hours on 3/31/16, and on My Tesla page, it still lists target delivery estimate as August-October 2018 for the Dual Motor option.

What to believe...

= Ed =

tesla-estimate-jpg.5094

Last edited:

sclyde

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting. I stood in line and got my reservation in within the first 1.5 hours on 3/31/16, and on My Tesla page, it still lists target delivery estimate as August-October 2018 for the Dual Motor option.

What to believe...

= Ed =

View attachment 5094
I would imagine the Spring '18 (if to be trusted) is referring to first availability of dual motors, which will follow the same invite structure as we've been going through. For instance, this date range is probably closer to spring time for owner line-standers who opted to hold their place in line for dual motors.

Gonzo

Country
Country
I would imagine the Spring '18 (if to be trusted) is referring to first availability of dual motors, which will follow the same invite structure as we've been going through. For instance, this date range is probably closer to spring time for owner line-standers who opted to hold their place in line for dual motors.
Possibly so. However I find it difficult to believe that there were that many owner-line standers wanting the DM option to cause a 2-4 month backlog - but then, what do I know?

Any owner-line standers out there opting for DM? What does your estimator say for delivery range?

= Ed =

sclyde

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Possibly so. However I find it difficult to believe that there were that many owner-line standers wanting the DM option to cause a 2-4 month backlog - but then, what do I know?

Any owner-line standers out there opting for DM? What does your estimator say for delivery range?

= Ed =
I'm actually thinking a bulk of the backlog is employees. Judging by how many were shipped to employees before moving on to general people, vs how many employees most likely pre-ordered, seems a lot of them may have opted to wait for AWD. That's total speculation though; I remember there being reports of this same speculation during the initial waves of employee invites. That said, it may not equate to 4 months, but wouldn't be surprised if it does equate to at least 2 months.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm actually thinking a bulk of the backlog is employees. Judging by how many were shipped to employees before moving on to general people, vs how many employees most likely pre-ordered, seems a lot of them may have opted to wait for AWD. That's total speculation though; I remember there being reports of this same speculation during the initial waves of employee invites. That said, it may not equate to 4 months, but wouldn't be surprised if it does equate to at least 2 months.
I actually think the vast majority of employees are waiting for standard battery and not AWD.