Model 3 Delivery Defect

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey model 3 owners… I went to take delivery of my car after having refused delivery for a panel issue weeks before. I did a pretty thorough visual inspection of the car, only to find out when I pulled into my driveway and took a look in the sunlight that there was a major scratch underneath the front right bumper. There was also some paint missing from the front of the bumper on the same side. From certain angles you can’t at all see that the defect is even there! Thank God I was able to catch this as soon as I did. Tesla has been great about offering to fix it right away and offered a solution. I’m just curious if any of you guys had a similar issue? Please let me know!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey model 3 owners… I went to take delivery of my car after having refused delivery for a panel issue weeks before. I did a pretty thorough visual inspection of the car, only to find out when I pulled into my driveway and took a look in the sunlight that there was a major scratch underneath the front right bumper. There was also some paint missing from the front of the bumper on the same side. From certain angles you can’t at all see that the defect is even there! Thank God I was able to catch this as soon as I did. Tesla has been great about offering to fix it right away and offered a solution. I’m just curious if any of you guys had a similar issue? Please let me know!
I have 2 paint related issues (both to be taken care of). Both are much harder to see when a camera isn’t a few inches away.

c506a7a4-5085-47bc-84fd-7e9fad52c16a-jpeg.7943
d52e4bb5-8304-4337-90d6-27e474346c0d-jpeg.7944

mxbzz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I had a bunch of hairline scratches on my trunk that I didn’t notice until getting the car out in sunlight. I was already headed to the service center due to a distorted rear windshield, and the service advisor said they could probably buff the scratches out, if not send it to the body shop.

I’ll be sure to mention it again when I head back to the SC (the windshield is still backordered so I’ll have to wait til it’s in) but they didn’t try to fight me at all about the scratches, thankfully.

barjohn

Country
Country
Here are some shots I took of panel issues with a BMW 550 I saw while I was having my car sealed with Ceramic Pro Sport. As you can see, even experienced car makers like BMW can have issues. I bet the owner never complained.

Attachments

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here are some shots I took of panel issues with a BMW 550 I saw while I was having my car sealed with Ceramic Pro Sport. As you can see, even experienced car makers like BMW can have issues. I bet the owner never complained.
Exactly. Everybody who is complaining about panel gaps needs to be honest with themselves and remember that they never even thought to check the panel gaps on the last car they bought.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Exactly. Everybody who is complaining about panel gaps needs to be honest with themselves and remember that they never even thought to check the panel gaps on the last car they bought.
Speaking of ... I drove past a new(ish) Honda Accord yesterday that had the worst panel gaps I’ve ever seen on the chrome trim around the windows on the driver’s side.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
they never even thought to check the panel gaps on the last car they bought.
I still haven't managed to walk into my garage and check the panel gaps on my current car. I keep thinking it would be a good reference/perspective to have for these conversations, but it's not a Tesla, so it just doesn't seem important...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just checked my 2017 Volt.
OK, but you didn't check them before you accepted delivery of your volt, right?

I just checked my new Hyundai Tucson, and its gaps look pretty even. Maybe a bit wide, but it all appeared to be lined up.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went to pick up my model 3 and was disappointed in the paint. It had half a dozen bubble in the paint, some minor scratches, and big chip at the charging port. Service manager recommended that i not take delivery. They will try to get it repainted or get me a new car but that could take up to a month due to another shut down on the production line.

I couldnt believe how quickly other people came in and got there car without checking it over.

On a side note the Tesla staff was great!

barjohn

Country
Country
I haven't read about any other shutdowns of the production line, I wonder if this is true or just speculation. Usually the big business outlets like CNBC would be all over it if true.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I couldnt believe how quickly other people came in and got there car without checking it over.
Forum goers are much crazier (read as informed, thorough, and aware) then general consumers.

Think about brining your car in for service. Look around and watch how many people don’t insist on a walkthrough of the car’s condition upon drop off and especially on return.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Think about brining your car in for service. Look around and watch how many people don’t insist on a walkthrough of the car’s condition upon drop off and especially on return.
Huh? I wasn't aware that normal people insisted on dual inspections for a routine service visit.
I just drop my car off and pick it up upon return. I'm not expecting a problem and haven't noticed a problem. I mean, it's a car, right?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Huh? I wasn't aware that normal people insisted on dual inspections for a routine service visit.
I just drop my car off and pick it up upon return. I'm not expecting a problem and haven't noticed a problem. I mean, it's a car, right?
At two different GM dealerships for routine service, my car came back with 1) paint damage (roughly 3”x6”) at a bumper corner and 2) four rocker panel dents and multiple panels being out of alignment wherethey lifted the car without blocking it to the lift points.
My other car had rocker panel dramage that cracked pvc aero trim pieces when a tire shop lifted it without blocks. Each of these three would have been obvious to the guy who did it, and none were mentioned to me when I picked the car back up.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always do a post visit walk around but usually not when I drop it off.