Model 3 delivered without EAP and no schedule to install it. What to do?

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We took delivery of our second Model 3 on Aug. 11 in Santa Barbara. The car is perfect and the delivery was easy. The delivery person pointed out to us that the EAP that we paid for was not installed but would be within a couple of days. She also said to call her if we had any problems. A few hours later we got a call from another delivery person at the service center who said that it should be installed within hours and he would call back. No install and no call back. On the 13th I left messages for the two delivery people and talked to their "manager" who said he would look into it and get back to me. No return call. On Tuesday I talked to a guy in service who said he would look into it and someone would get back to me. No return calls. He also gave me a link to send a message to corporate which I did. No response. On Wed the 15th I got the second delivery person (who had delivered our first model 3) and he said that there was nothing he could do about it because it involves engineers at corporate and to expect it within a couple of weeks. And to call him back if nothing happened in two weeks. So here we are Aug 20 and there has been no communication from Tesla and no EAP.

We love the cars and till now have had excellent experiences with Tesla, but this has been really discouraging. We need the second car for my wife to take on a longer trip but she will not consider doing a longer trip without autopilot so the car sits mostly unused in our garage. It is very frustrating that there is apparently no way to have input into this or get information about what is happening. We paid for EAP and FSD upfront. We were not told about the absence of EAP till the end of the delivery after we had paid for the car. And we were told it would be installed very soon so we didn't worry about it. We have an unfortunate medical situation that requires both cars for long trips but there is no way to get through to Tesla to even get information on when EAP will be installed.

I really think it is highly unethical to deliver a car without EAP installed and without any schedule or communication about when it will be installed. Had they told us before we paid we could at least have kept pressure on them to install it by putting off delivery. As it is, we have no way to know when it will be installed. And when the local people find out they can't do anything, they just apparently don't return calls.

At this point I am getting pretty frustrated about this.
If anyone knows what I could do to get information on when it will be installed or speed it up I'd appreciate it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i had the same issue EAP wasn't installed during delivery. they originally told me they would just push the update OTA at some point soon after but i insisted they just install it before i drove off. it took them like an hour because there was some issue with getting it pushed out but they got it done and i had EAP when i left. if you're close to the service center you should just drive in and see what's up.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We took delivery of our second Model 3 on Aug. 11 in Santa Barbara. The car is perfect and the delivery was easy. The delivery person pointed out to us that the EAP that we paid for was not installed but would be within a couple of days. She also said to call her if we had any problems. A few hours later we got a call from another delivery person at the service center who said that it should be installed within hours and he would call back. No install and no call back. On the 13th I left messages for the two delivery people and talked to their "manager" who said he would look into it and get back to me. No return call. On Tuesday I talked to a guy in service who said he would look into it and someone would get back to me. No return calls. He also gave me a link to send a message to corporate which I did. No response. On Wed the 15th I got the second delivery person (who had delivered our first model 3) and he said that there was nothing he could do about it because it involves engineers at corporate and to expect it within a couple of weeks. And to call him back if nothing happened in two weeks. So here we are Aug 20 and there has been no communication from Tesla and no EAP.

We love the cars and till now have had excellent experiences with Tesla, but this has been really discouraging. We need the second car for my wife to take on a longer trip but she will not consider doing a longer trip without autopilot so the car sits mostly unused in our garage. It is very frustrating that there is apparently no way to have input into this or get information about what is happening. We paid for EAP and FSD upfront. We were not told about the absence of EAP till the end of the delivery after we had paid for the car. And we were told it would be installed very soon so we didn't worry about it. We have an unfortunate medical situation that requires both cars for long trips but there is no way to get through to Tesla to even get information on when EAP will be installed.

I really think it is highly unethical to deliver a car without EAP installed and without any schedule or communication about when it will be installed. Had they told us before we paid we could at least have kept pressure on them to install it by putting off delivery. As it is, we have no way to know when it will be installed. And when the local people find out they can't do anything, they just apparently don't return calls.

At this point I am getting pretty frustrated about this.
If anyone knows what I could do to get information on when it will be installed or speed it up I'd appreciate it.
have you called the main Tesla service line? I'd try that over the local guys since the one said it was up to corporate (which kinda sounds not right to me). Or have you physically gone into a service center location?

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called the main service line and got directed back to the local service center. I didn't hear any option to go higher on the menu. We are going to be out of town for a few days so can't take it in immediately. But when I talked to the service guy he didn't indicate there was anything he could do about it. When we get back I'll take it in for sure if its not done before that.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This has become more normal. Initially, they installed it at the factory, but then some would cancel, and the EAP stayed on the car. The new practice is to install it at the local dealer, prior to delivery. They must complete paperwork verifying customer paid, submit it to the EAP department, then have it switched on. This is somewhat typical of other software services (SAAS).

I took delivery of my Model 3 today (Monday). They haven't installed EAP and said I had an appt Thursday to come back and have Service Dept install it. It should be a 45 minute process. Call and make an appt with service and it should be easy.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They did not suggest what? Having them install it? I don't know of another way. Surely, they don't expect you to drive to Fremont to have it done! They should be solving your problem, not this forum. So how does the service center, tell you your vehicle should be serviced? If they tell you it can't be done, I'd ask for a manager, then a manager of a manager, etc.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They did not suggest bringing it in or indicate that was a possibility. Everyone I talked with indicated that "engineers" at Fremont would push it over the air and the service center people couldn't influence that. At first they said that it would happen in hours, then they stopped returning my calls.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They did not suggest bringing it in or indicate that was a possibility. Everyone I talked with indicated that "engineers" at Fremont would push it over the air and the service center people couldn't influence that. At first they said that it would happen in hours, then they stopped returning my calls.
If the service center is unwilling to schedule an appointment to install EAP, I would try executive escalation, which you supposedly have access to through your Tesla account, Support, Executive Escalation. I think they would want to know there's a problem.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I couldn't find the executive escalation before, but finally found it at the bottom of the "Ask a question" page under the manage the car page. Thanks for getting me to look again.
I'm sure they don't want to make it too easy! ;)

Kfrank

Country
Country
I talked to the service center 2 days ago and they did not suggest this.
I had this happen as well. Called my service center and they told me they would need to send a ranger. Got a call the next day that they could do it remote and I would here from an engineer soon. That day I did get a call. I needed to be in the car and he got it working. Good luck.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I called my service center last week they said they were referring it to the delivery folks. When I finally got one of them, they said that they couldn't do anything and I couldn't do anything, that it had to be initiated by engineers from Fremont. And nothing has happened so far.

3Model3s

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Problem solved. They pushed it this morning and now its installed.
Thanks Tesla Support.
Did it just show up or did you have to work with Tesla Engineering to install? I'm in the same boat, EAP wasn't installed at delivery. Service ticket has been generated and escalated. Said it would take 24-48 hours, which I haven't hit yet.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They said that I might have to be with the car, but in the end they were able to push it without my doing anything or even being in the same town as the car. When autopilot is installed Summon will appear in the app and there are a number of new choices on the autopilot screen. They also pushed 32.2 at the same time but I had to start that install from the car.