Model 3 Configurator going online soon.

Country
Country
On Jan. 27th, I had a conversation with someone who is a close relative to a Tessa employee.
He said that the Tesla Model 3 Configurator was due to go online soon.
(He said either in days or weeks; I've forgotten which.)

Can anyone confirm this?
If yes, then which one: Days or Weeks?

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
On Jan. 27th, I had a conversation with someone who is a close relative to a Tessa employee.

Can anyone confirm this?

I can't imagine it will go online until after the final reveal. It just makes sense.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I can't imagine it will go online until after the final reveal. It just makes sense.
Depending on one's definition of 'in a few weeks', to the extent the reveal happens in 8 or less weeks, an (extreme) optimist could still argue the Configurator could go online soon thereafter....
Logically, it could go online a few months ahead of real production start-up... Would love to be positively surprised yet realistically I don't see it up before April/May...
However, being so far away, what do I know...? ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@17.088 ^2 - 99% of Tesla employees have no more idea than any of us, so would not put too much into what a relative passed on to friends. and am sure those that do have true information have been given strict instructions to not leak anything, even to their spouse, until it's publicly announced.
remember, not a single image of the Model ☰ prototype was released before the 3/31/16 reveal. Tesla is great at keeping secrets if they choose to.

Steve C

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
@17.088 ^2 - 99% of Tesla employees have no more idea than any of us, so would not put too much into what a relative passed on to friends. and am sure those that do have true information have been given strict instructions to not leak anything, even to their spouse, until it's publicly announced.
remember, not a single image of the Model ☰ prototype was released before the 3/31/16 reveal. Tesla is great at keeping secrets if they choose to.
They made a point of reminding suppliers of that as well when explaining why they cancelled that $100mil contract with the German company.

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Can anyone confirm this?

It will definitely be a number of days, which when divided by 7, will be a number of weeks.:confused::cool::p:D:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It will definitely be a number of days, which when divided by 7, will be a number of weeks.:confused::cool::p:D:eek::rolleyes:o_O
@Badback , please help me 'cause it's getting late here... :confused: you meant 'multiplied', right...?
Edited 1/30 am (Paris time)
Oops. Badmaths... my bad!! :confused:

Last edited:

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Can anyone confirm this?

Based on Model X, the configurator will likely be by invitation only after the final reveal. August? Perhaps a month earlier for employees.The open configurator may be available late 2017. I sure hope I am pessimistic!

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Badback , please help me 'cause it's getting late here... :confused: you meant 'multiplied', right...? :cool:
:D:p
OK, so if it takes 70 days and you divide 70 by 7, that 10 weeks.

My sarcasm was for asking a question that no one can answer, it was a rhetorical question, maybe.

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
OK, so if it takes 70 days and you divide 70 by 7, that 10 weeks.

My sarcasm was for asking a question that no one can answer, it was a rhetorical question, maybe.
Dear @Badback , my sincere apologies... Of course you had it right! :eek::eek: It is amazing how sometimes thing different, and generally better (!) after you wake up in the morning and you've recharged your batteries! ;)

And, of course, let me add for the record that your humor has gotten me to tears from laughing many times! Thank you! :)

If history tells us anything, expect a Configurator to come online later than we expect, the Model 3 options to cost more than we were expecting, our configured Model 3 to cost more than we were expecting, and the actual delivery date to also take longer than we are expecting. On the plus side, we'll be saving gas money. :D

EBelly

If it was my company, I would open the configurator right after the final reveal. And with each confirmed configuration there would be an increase in deposit to at least $2.5K giving me a few hundred million more dollars to spend on parts and infrastructure for final production. Better than an ATM.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it was my company, I would open the configurator right after the final reveal. And with each confirmed configuration there would be an increase in deposit to at least $2.5K giving me a few hundred million more dollars to spend on parts and infrastructure for final production. Better than an ATM.
But who would want an EBelly Model 3?

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Dear @Badback , my sincere apologies... Of course you had it right! :eek::eek: It is amazing how sometimes thing different, and generally better (!) after you wake up in the morning and you've recharged your batteries! ;)

And, of course, let me add for the record that your humor has gotten me to tears from laughing many times! Thank you! :)
Thanks Michael. Too bad that you got a ding from @MichelT3 for something quite irrelevant and from my attempt at humor. Perhaps upon reading this he will be kind enough to erase this blot from your history.

Yes, my humor has often resulted in uncontrollable sobbing as my victims descend into the abyss of despair.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As
Thanks Michael. Too bad that you got a ding from @MichelT3 for something quite irrelevant and from my attempt at humor. Perhaps upon reading this he will be kind enough to erase this blot from your history.

Yes, my humor has often resulted in uncontrollable sobbing as my victims descend into the abyss of despair.
I winter in the abyss. Your victims welcome your remorse!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The sooner they let us configure, the sooner they can get an insight into the options take rate. Also: I'd be fine with more prepayment.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
To your point; I went to a Tesla store on Friday night, and was admiring the new hardware of the enhanced AP. The young man said it would enable level 7 Autonomy. I didn't have the heart to advise him that it only goes to level 5. This is only to say, that all of the employees may not be as much of an expert nor have true insight of what is to come. Also agree, Tesla does an AMAZING job of keeping things secret until their desired time to release, so I don't know how much I'd believe the friend. I'd love to be wrong in this case, though.
Maybe the young chap had just watched Spinal Tap and was thinking about things going to "eleven".

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
To your point; I went to a Tesla store on Friday night, and was admiring the new hardware of the enhanced AP. The young man said it would enable level 7 Autonomy. I didn't have the heart to advise him that it only goes to level 5. This is only to say, that all of the employees may not be as much of an expert nor have true insight of what is to come. Also agree, Tesla does an AMAZING job of keeping things secret until their desired time to release, so I don't know how much I'd believe the friend. I'd love to be wrong in this case, though.
Maybe the young chap had just watched Spinal Tap and was thinking about things going to "eleven".