Model 3 compatible with the Starlink network?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been reading a little about Starlink network that Musk is launching with SpaceX. It should be a network of satellites that allow for high speed internet access all over the world. It got me thinking... is the Model 3 compatible with this future network of satellites? If so it makes sense to me that we have very little info about how long we'll actually get "free" LTE or 3G service. Maybe in the next few years it'll be a non-issue. Thoughts?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That undoubtedly must be the long-term plan.

I think it's possible, but unlikely, that any current vehicle is compatible with a future network. But, if Tesla planned for this, it might be easy to swap out a "modem" module with a new one. I know that the early Model S's came with 3G connectivity. Did Tesla provide an upgrade to LTE for those owners? If so, this would be a similar undertaking.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That undoubtedly must be the long-term plan.

I think it's possible, but unlikely, that any current vehicle is compatible with a future network. But, if Tesla planned for this, it might be easy to swap out a "modem" module with a new one. I know that the early Model S's came with 3G connectivity. Did Tesla provide an upgrade to LTE for those owners? If so, this would be a similar undertaking.
I haven't heard anything about Model S owners getting LTE installed in their cars. Hopefully all it'll eventually require would be a sim card swap out, but who knows! Free data in the Model 3 forever would be a huge benefit! It's a little scary to think many of the functions in a car could be completely dependent on a third party cell service network.