Model 3 Charging Curve

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Could you try the nema 5-15 for a free hours and tell me how many miles per hour it gets? The estimates from Tesla seem on the lower side. Thanks.
And film all charging? ;) Seriously, it'd be wonderful to see where the taper begins and how it responds to pack voltage over the charge. Shouldn't be much variation on a 5-15, mind you it's the higher powers where you expect it more.

Russell

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And film all charging? ;) Seriously, it'd be wonderful to see where the taper begins and how it responds to pack voltage over the charge. Shouldn't be much variation on a 5-15, mind you it's the higher powers where you expect it more.
Typo, I meant a couple of hours. Just looking to see if it's like 3 or more like 5.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks so much for trying that. I have a 35 mile commute so @5mi/hr, I don't need a nema 14-50.
I'm presumably using a 15amp circuit to get 12 out of it. You might want to double check the capacity of the circuit you'll be using to be sure you can get the 5mph out of it.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks so much for trying that. I have a 35 mile commute so @5mi/hr, I don't need a nema 14-50.
120v charging is very inefficient. It uses a lot more electricity for every mile of charge than 240 because there is so much overhead.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
120v charging is very inefficient. It uses a lot more electricity for every mile of charge than 240 because there is so much overhead.
Efficiency of charging reference.
I wouldn't call it very inefficient. 78% efficiency vs 91% efficiency, so a 13% difference. The money you save by charging at 240v won't cover the cost of the 240v EVSE, even after many years.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Here's another data point. :)
Thanks, added! Although surely that's a bug. 20 minutes estimated to go from 87 miles available to full? That works out to 669 mph. During a period that should be dominated by taper. That can't be right.

102 kW at 28% SOC is awesome. There is no Model S or X in existence that can put on miles that fast, and you're still at over a quarter of your range remaining! The press kit is suggestive of a slower charge rate than that (170 miles in 30 minutes = 340 mph average, to 55% full, aka average percent = 27% full; 340 mi/hr * ~240 Wh/mi = ~82kW; you're getting 102 kW at 28% full)

Last edited:

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, added! Although surely that's a bug. 20 minutes estimated to go from 87 miles available to full? That works out to 669 mph. During a period that should be dominated by taper. That can't be right.

102 kW at 28% SOC is awesome. There is no Model S or X in existence that can put on miles that fast, and you're still at over a quarter of your range remaining! The press kit is suggestive of a slower charge rate than that.
I saw a max of 424 mph. It was pretty damn fast...

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Can't wait to see what you get when you pull into a supercharger on a nearly empty pack ;) If you can get ~117 kW that would be insane. A good chunk of 500 mph. :)

Just so you know, I'm sharing the spreadsheet with Bo from A Better Route Planner. So any data you post (AC charging, Supercharging, CHAdeMO charging, or driving consumption) will go into helping you and everyone else get more accurate trip planning :)

Country
Country

102 kW at 28% SOC is awesome. There is no Model S or X in existence that can put on miles that fast, and you're still at over a quarter of your range remaining! The press kit is suggestive of a slower charge rate than that (170 miles in 30 minutes = 340 mph average, to 55% full, aka average percent = 27% full; 340 mi/hr * ~240 Wh/mi = ~82kW; you're getting 102 kW at 28% full)
Karen, just wanted to point out a little typo in your charge sheet, at least I believe it's one.
On Jon's photo, it shows 20 minutes to continue on his trip, not to 100%. My assumption, it's 20 more minutes before he can make it to the next super charger, was this the case @RiggerJon ?

Thank you for making that, I favorited it and looking forward to more data! I've already noticed change on ABRP. :)

Edit:
PS. I would change your google doc link to commenting so someone doesn't accidentally mess up the data.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Karen, just wanted to point out a little typo in your charge sheet, at least I believe it's one.
On Jon's photo, it shows 20 minutes to continue on his trip, not to 100%. My assumption, it's 20 more minutes before he can make it to the next super charger, was this the case @RiggerJon ?
His charge limit (white line) is set to 100%. That would be even weirder if it wasn't reporting relative to his set charge limit.

Thank you for making that, I favorited it and looking forward to more data! I've already noticed change on ABRP. :)
Glad to help!

PS. I would change your google doc link to commenting so someone doesn't accidentally mess up the data.
Will do. :)

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good eye - you're close. That calculation is actually using the destination in the nav system plus a comfortable margin.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Good eye - you're close. That calculation is actually using the destination in the nav system plus a comfortable margin.
Okay, interesting. But your charge limit is set to 100%, right? White line at the right? But the time remaining isn't based on that? Do you know what percent it was actually trying to reach?

Petra

Country
Country
Okay, interesting. But your charge limit is set to 100%, right? White line at the right? But the time remaining isn't based on that?
If it's anything like the S, Supercharging while trip planner is active will cause the time remaining to be based on the SoC necessary to hit the next designated Supercharger stop or your destination (depends on proximity to your destination). After the car hits trip planner's target SoC, the time remaining display will switch to time remaining to hit the user defined max SoC (white line on the right).