Model 3 charge rate spreadsheet

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I was really excited when I saw that he was going to charge, and then really frustrated by what I saw. That datapoint is worthless. There hasn't been enough time for the current to ramp up, and it looks like he may be sharing a charger :Þ

That whole video was a frustrating experience. E.g. him continually searching for EAP and complaining about EAP features being missing (like TACC) when it's obvious that the owner didn't purchase it.

As for the whole "driving styles" thing, that doesn't factor into this. These figures are for rated miles The miles that will tick up on your screen and hit their nominal maximums. Obviously any individual will deviate from this depending on their driving, but I'm not going to personalize ranges. We're sticking with what shows up on the screen :)

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was really excited when I saw that he was going to charge, and then really frustrated by what I saw. That datapoint is worthless. There hasn't been enough time for the current to ramp up, and it looks like he may be sharing a charger :Þ

That whole video was a frustrating experience. E.g. him continually searching for EAP and complaining about EAP features being missing (like TACC) when it's obvious that the owner didn't purchase it.

As for the whole "driving styles" thing, that doesn't factor into this. These figures are for rated miles The miles that will tick up on your screen and hit their nominal maximums. Obviously any individual will deviate from this depending on their driving, but I'm not going to personalize ranges. We're sticking with what shows up on the screen :)
Thanks for all this Karen! Great work. Looking forward to added data.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I have a quick question for you charging experts out there..... Right now if I wanted to drive from the Tucson, AZ Supercharger (just opened) to the El Paso, TX Supercharger and I started at 100%, could a LR Model 3 make it? And if so what max speed could I do and still arrive with 5% charge or at least a little buffer? I’m asking because I want to do this and they have not opened the other planned Superchargers along this route. Of course by the time I get the car they may have more locations open. I just want to know if I could make the distance.....

Troy

Country
Country
Hi, @Mike Land. Of course, others might have different opinions on this but I think the Model 3 LR RWD will perform just like the Model S 100D because both have practically the same EPA highway dyno test scores. The difference is only 0.7 miles. However, the Model 3 LR AWD should have about 10 miles more range.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
So I have a quick question for you charging experts out there..... Right now if I wanted to drive from the Tucson, AZ Supercharger (just opened) to the El Paso, TX Supercharger and I started at 100%, could a LR Model 3 make it? (...) I just want to know if I could make the distance.....
Quick question from all of us far away foreigners :)D), how many miles would that be? Just curious too... ;)

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At 316 miles, you'd have to make some adjustments. First, you'd have to watch the weather - rain or a headwind would reduce your range enough to not make it. You'd also likely have to choose a cooler part of the year, because you won't want to run the A/C or roll down the windows. You'll have to limit your speed to the 55 mph speed that Tesla uses as a benchmark for it's range calculations - going 65 will likely guarantee that you won't make it. Given those caveats, yes you'll be able to make it.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I have a quick question for you charging experts out there..... Right now if I wanted to drive from the Tucson, AZ Supercharger (just opened) to the El Paso, TX Supercharger and I started at 100%, could a LR Model 3 make it? And if so what max speed could I do and still arrive with 5% charge or at least a little buffer? I’m asking because I want to do this and they have not opened the other planned Superchargers along this route. Of course by the time I get the car they may have more locations open. I just want to know if I could make the distance.....
Is there no ability to charge along the way?

I’d be weary of arrival with ~5% left...

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla does not use 55 mph as a benchmark.

As for charging along the way, only NEMA 14-50s and some J1772s near the end. You should stop and add some range at a 14-50 en route if nothing better has been built since then.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
By the time you get your car that gap will have filled in. Look at the projected Supercharger layout on the Tesla sight. Deming, NM and Willcox, AZ both scheduled to be built by the end of this year. You won't have any problem making the trip.

Dan

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You'd also likely have to choose a cooler part of the year, because you won't want to run the A/C or roll down the windows.
I know you said "cooler", so if you're talking about temperatures around 60-70° F, then I agree.

But generally, warm weather is good for a battery's ability to deliver power. And the AC is efficient enough that it won't affect range too much. I wouldn't worry too much about distance driving in hot weather.

Cold weather, OTOH, can severely reduce range. Additionally, a cabin heater (if you feel the need to turn it on) will use more electricity than the AC. I start noticing a negative effect on my Leaf's range below 60° F. And it gets worse the colder it gets. And my car is kept inside an integral garage, so it stays relatively warm when parked in winter. Those who have to park their cars outside overnight in cold weather will feel the effects even more.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I know you said "cooler", so if you're talking about temperatures around 60-70° F, then I agree.

But generally, warm weather is good for a battery's ability to deliver power. And the AC is efficient enough that it won't affect range too much. I wouldn't worry too much about distance driving in hot weather.

Cold weather, OTOH, can severely reduce range. Additionally, a cabin heater (if you feel the need to turn it on) will use more electricity than the AC. I start noticing a negative effect on my Leaf's range below 60° F. And it gets worse the colder it gets. And my car is kept inside an integral garage, so it stays relatively warm when parked in winter. Those who have to park their cars outside overnight in cold weather will feel the effects even more.
Meanwhile, Bjørn Nyland, who works as a courier in Norway, reports only a 10-20% reduction in range on long trips in the winter in otherwise good (dry, clear road) conditions.

Don't confuse a Leaf with a Tesla, nor initial startup heating with long-term heating to maintain the temperature. :)

(Note that I'd expect more of a summer/winter difference in a 3 vs a S, because the former should have less waste heat. Then again, less surface area for heat loss, but I still expect the efficiency issue to dominate.)

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
This is funny because I am keeping an eye on this route for my trip home from Fremont because it is the most direct. I keep track of the construction status on https://supercharge.info/ There are two Superchargers that were under permit and recently began construction. One for 2 days and one for 11 days. The one they just built here in Pinellas Park took less than a few weeks once they started construction. I would not risk the trip without one of those two being constructed unless you were planning to stay somewhere in between for a few hours, or overnight where you could charge. Its just not worth the risk and the stress. I've been there and done that, and believe me you do not want to run out of power. However, I assume they should be by the time we take delivery.:

upload_2017-10-19_9-26-39-png.3824

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are great. I don’t want to hijack this thread but I think charging and range go hand in hand here. I do realize that other superchargers are “scheduled” to be online before the end of the year but they have showed that same map for several years now. I’d say they are on “Elon time” and will be done by the end of the year......just maybe not this year.....LOL!

I’ll have to quote Sammy Hagar here because “I can’t drive 55” is playing in my head and I usually do 85-90 on a road trip like that. Guess I’ll have to wait for those other locations to open up before I attempt that trip. Even waiting for a 14-50 charge sounds painfully slow for the extra miles it would take to make the distance.

So, I guess that brings me to the next question, what kind of mileage can be expected doing 85mph in best case scenario, flat road, no headwind, no AC or heat running, windows up, 60-70 degree day? And yes I know that will never happen but I can’t imagine even getting close to 310 miles at that speed even with “perfect conditions”. Oh, and please don’t hate for the fact I’m going over the posted speed limit, I haven’t gotten a ticket in over 20 years!

If your are a moderator and feel this discussion would be better off in a separate thread please feel free to move it......

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay in the time it took me to write that the post above it showed up. Guess I’ll be eating my words about “Elon Time”. I didn’t know you could see the status of the superchargers under construction. That is fantastic news! Still curious though of what kind of range the car might do at 85MPH, even in real world conditions.......

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks for the quick replies, you guys are great. I don’t want to hijack this thread but I think charging and range go hand in hand here. I do realize that other superchargers are “scheduled” to be online before the end of the year but they have showed that same map for several years now. I’d say they are on “Elon time” and will be done by the end of the year......just maybe not this year.....LOL!

I’ll have to quote Sammy Hagar here because “I can’t drive 55” is playing in my head and I usually do 85-90 on a road trip like that. Guess I’ll have to wait for those other locations to open up before I attempt that trip. Even waiting for a 14-50 charge sounds painfully slow for the extra miles it would take to make the distance.

So, I guess that brings me to the next question, what kind of mileage can be expected doing 85mph in best case scenario, flat road, no headwind, no AC or heat running, windows up, 60-70 degree day? And yes I know that will never happen but I can’t imagine even getting close to 310 miles at that speed even with “perfect conditions”. Oh, and please don’t hate for the fact I’m going over the posted speed limit, I haven’t gotten a ticket in over 20 years!

If your are a moderator and feel this discussion would be better off in a separate thread please feel free to move it......
You get less and less efficient the faster you go, so every MPH you can drop makes a significant impact. I used to do 85-90, but find myself going 74-79 nowadays on long trips because its just so wasteful to go that fast. Not from a green sense, but because you aren't getting to your destination faster. Although you are getting from Supercharger to Supercharger faster, you spend a lot more time charging and your overall trip becomes longer. It also matters how much weight you have in the car. I'm just guessing, but I'd assume it would decrease your range +/-80%. If no one has a more exact answer, I'm going on a road trip tomorrow and will see if I can roughly figure out the difference on my Model S playing around with the cruise control.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You get less and less efficient the faster you go, so every MPH you can drop makes a significant impact. I used to do 85-90, but find myself going 74-79 nowadays on long trips because its just so wasteful to go that fast. Not from a green sense, but because you aren't getting to your destination faster. Although you are getting from Supercharger to Supercharger faster, you spend a lot more time charging and your overall trip becomes longer. It also matters how much weight you have in the car. I'm just guessing, but I'd assume it would decrease your range +/-80%. If no one has a more exact answer, I'm going on a road trip tomorrow and will see if I can roughly figure out the difference on my Model S playing around with the cruise control.
Okay, that is the perfect answer and just what I was looking for from someone with experience. Thank you! I figured that going that fast would kill the range. I’m a pilot by profession and I knew aerodynamics at those speeds would not be efficient. Thanks for the info, that really helps.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
You wouldn't need much 14-50 range. Basically the 14-50 is just your safety buffer. If you wanted to add, say, 40 miles there that would take about 1 hour.

I do realize that other superchargers are “scheduled” to be online before the end of the year but they have showed that same map for several years now.
Except that they're both now actually under construction. As of Monday they were laying conduit at Wilcox, and they're just about to installing pedestals at Deming. Just a couple more weeks and both should be live.

They haven't showed that same map for several years. Those "construction cone" symbols on the map only popped up recently. Once construction starts, it's generally pretty quick.

Last edited: