Model 3 CCS adaptor 🤔

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mesprit87, I just re-read our posts. I misunderstood your point originally, and I think we talked past each other a little.

Your point is that Quebec is soon to have a much more extensive CCS network reaching out to more rural areas, and Tesla owners in Quebec would benefit from being able to access it. Do you have a link to a map of that charging network? I'm curious to see how extensive it is.

My point was that Tesla's manufacturing of CCS connectors for European cars and superchargers doesn't provide any cost savings to switch to CCS in North America, because the connectors are completely different. But also, the lack of a currently-available CCS charging network that rivals the supercharging network in North America provides no incentive currently for Tesla to switch cars to the larger, bulkier CCS1 connector. I would love for that to change in the near future.

EVfusion

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
....Supercharger availability is spartiate at best in Canada, CCS is currently being installed at large by our main service provider in Québec. I doubt that Tesla's coverage will ever be on par considering population density in rural areas or eastern provinces. There IS a need for CCS on those cars. I think Canadians should have the same deal their European friends have.
Your situation is similar to ours in Australia. Hopefully Quebec/Canada will be treated differently and you can get ready access to local CCS1 networks.
Tesla is populating the main East coast highway and a few strategic inland towns with Superchargers. But for major parts of the country the EV driver must rely on other entities. Several motorist associations, State governments and commercial entities are now building fast charger networks (with chargers scaleable to 350 kw) , sometimes in association with a car manufacturer similar to the Ionity arrangement in Europe.
We are perhaps fortunate that we are only now getting the Model 3 in Australia as Tesla have adopted a similar approach to the Model 3 role-out in that used in Europe. The Model 3 will have physical compatibility with all CCS2 networks.
It is not clear at this point whether Tesla will allow other cars to access the Supercharger network. The Model 3 CCS2 charger port has a notch which could allow Tesla to design a CCS2 connector that excluded non-Tesla vehicles. However, so far the CCS2 connectors being fitted to Superchargers do not utilise this option and can physically be used with any standard CCS2 charger port. This recent article gives a useful summary of charging compatability issues (https://thedriven.io/2019/04/03/can-non-tesla-electric-cars-use-tesla-ev-chargers/ ).

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The SC network is one of Tesla's biggest differentiators, but wouldn't a CCS dual charge port or adapter still help in the SC overcrowding in locations like CA if Tesla owners had an option? A quick Google says a 6 station SC could cost as much as $250,000 to build (we don't know for sure though), so if Tesla were to make and sell a CCS adapter this could alleviate some SC problems in Southern CA and potentially Canada.

No EA stations showing in Canada, but starting to be scattered around CA and their roll out schedule is supposed to be fairly aggressive. It just seems that this would be a huge benefit for Tesla: We have the best private network and we let you use all the other options too !!

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is a view of what's available in DC, they usually include combo and CCS1.
You can see what's available on www.lecircuitelectrique.com
Didn't mean to sound rude😉 .
Every ev user is kind of stuck in that "war" but I have to say Tesla is on the ball if I have to travel in the States.

Attachments

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As You zoom in, you can click on it for details, the app is not bad
If I want to see locations to help plan a route and my stops along a route, it's not useful for that purpose. But yes, it appears to have lots of useful information if you zoom around and click.