Model 3 CCS adaptor 🤔

Jb1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone! Any ideas on when the CCS adapter for the Model 3 will be available. I live in Hawaii. We do not have supper charging. So the CCS adapter will be a hit here! Thoughts?

VanIsleGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope they offer it soon. I'd like to think them offering the adapter in Europe is a good sign but it definitely doesn't mean it will happen for sure. The proprietary charger is the only thing that bothers me about the car so far, and it seems to go against their mission of accelerating alternative transportation. I live in an area where the government is investing in quick chargers on rural routes where there aren't any superchargers. Why not let Tesla's take advantage of this. I have heard this as a reason for people to not get a Tesla. If they did change to the CCS standard they could still charge much higher rates or block other cars completely from using the Superchargers if they wanted to keep the supercharger network as a competitive advantage. I wonder what the hold up/reason is.

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
CCS did not exist when Tesla designed their car and the Superchargers so it was not an option. They came up with their own standard which was superior to anything else at the time (and in some ways, still is). To change now would be problematic on many levels. An adapter makes the most sense.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone! Any ideas on when the CCS adapter for the Model 3 will be available. I live in Hawaii. We do not have supper charging. So the CCS adapter will be a hit here! Thoughts?
AFAIK, it is not happening any time soon, as you are probably aware of, CCS is not available on US spec cars.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When CCS is widely available, Tesla may offer it. My guess is 18 months from now. The VW dieselgate CCS build out is primarily being rolled out in California. Higher speed CCS chargers are few and far between here in spite of a surprising amount of EVs. The few 50kw CCS chargers in tn Asheville, NC area are usually off line. Nevertheless I will buy an adapter when available.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not accurate.

"The Bolt EV uses the SAE Combined Charging Standard (CCS) Combo connector for DC fast charging. You can use filters in the ChargePoint mobile app to find stations with a Combo connector. "

https://www.chargepoint.com/blog/charging-chevy-bolt-ev-everything-you-need-know/
here's a hint, this is a tesla forum and the discussion is about CCS for tesla.

it could be that the bolt has a better system for CCS but 1, the bolt is discontinued and 2. whatever the bolt is capable of has little relevance to CCS being added to the tesla.

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
here's a hint, this is a tesla forum and the discussion is about CCS for tesla.
Perhaps what you meant should have been:

... as you are probably aware of, CCS is not available on US spec Tesla cars
As it reads, it looks like you're saying all USDM cars do not support CCS. Rather than TESLA USDM does not.

VanIsleGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In BC, the government is making a decent push to adding fast chargers on rural highway routes to make the excuses not to get an EV much less. On Vancouver Island where I live, the northernmost supercharger is in Nanaimo, yet it is another 400km (~4hr drive) to the town on at the north end of the Island. I completely understand why Tesla has not built superchargers further north, and don't expect them to anytime soon, but the government has installed fast chargers in some of the rest stops to support these northern towns. It is for cases like these that I hope Tesla offers CCS adapters. There are a lot of people in these small communities who want to live a lower impact lifestyle, hence why they have chosen to live more rural with space for gardens, solar, etc. If it is technically possible to make adapters for the car (even if they can't hit as high a charge rate, but could hit 50 kw) I can't see the downside to Tesla for offering these.

CyberGaut

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I hope it comes out soon (NA CCS) I am going to Atlantic Canada later this year and the SC network it there but really limited. But Quebec and New Brunswick have invested heavily in DCFC, with ChaDeMo and CCS all over the place.
My belief is that Tesla is grandfathering the ChaDeMo and will move forward with CCS and SC only.
I can hope anyway

EVfusion

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
... I'd like to think them offering the adapter in Europe is a good sign ....
In Europe and Australia the Model 3 comes with a CCS2 charge port, not the Tesla proprietary port used on Models S and X. Currently Australian Tesla Superchargers are being modified to include CCS (Model 3 arrives in August). This allows the Model 3 in Europe and Australia to access the new superfast networks that use the Tritium Ultracharger (350KW), without the need for an adapter. Given the competitive advantage and current dominance of the Tesla charging network in North America, the emergence of the CSS standard globally poses a strategic dilemma as to if and when Tesla should offer or switch to the use of CSS in NA.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In Europe and Australia the Model 3 comes with a CCS2 charge port, not the Tesla proprietary port used on Models S and X. Currently Australian Superchargers are being modified to include CCS (Model 3 arrives in August). This allows the Model 3 in Europe and Australia to access the new superfast networks that use the Tritium Ultracharger (350KW), without the need for an adapter. Given the competitive advantage of the current dominance of the Tesla charging network in North America, the emergence of the CSS standard globally poses a strategic dilemma as to if and when Tesla should offer or switch to the use of CSS in NA.
If Tesla could find a partner to become part of the supercharger network, I could imagine that being a catalyst to update NA stations to CCS. Without that, I'm not sure what would cause them to want to change all of them. It would appear to not be possible to create a simple adapter as they had done for J1772.

EVfusion

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
If Tesla could find a partner to become part of the supercharger network, I could imagine that being a catalyst to update NA stations to CCS. Without that, I'm not sure what would cause them to want to change all of them. It would appear to not be possible to create a simple adapter as they had done for J1772.
Proliferation of non-Tesla superfast networks in NA will lead to pressure for easy access to CCS. A Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter is currently available in Australia. It would be interesting to know if Tesla vehicles produced for the NA market are getting the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites. Even if this is not the case, a retrofit has been developed and is available in Australia (cost $A800 with adapter). You may be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you have the option in the US and Canada. The Australian Tesla FAQ section on charging gives clear indication of how Tesla are managing the issue there. It says the following:

How do I know if my Model S or Model X has the technical capability to charge via a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
All legacy Model S and Model X owners will require a service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via adapter. Beginning June 1, 2019, you may schedule a service retrofit at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app or your Tesla account.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service will cost $798, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter ($271 when purchased separately).

What is the peak charge rate I can receive with a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Model S and Model X owners can currently receive the highest current peak charge rates offered by V2 Supercharging in Australia (120kW). We will continue to validate this technology as part of the V3 Supercharging rollout and will provide additional information regarding peak charge rates as it is available.

The comment about peak charging rates (final question) is interesting. In the UK and Europe (and hopefully in Australia with the August release) the Model 3 can now charge at 200kw (https://www.autocarpro.in/news-inte...-3-is-the-fastestcharging-car-in-the-uk-43234 ). This is quite an incentive to have access to the new Tesla V3 and non-Tesla ultracharger networks. I think this translates to about 400 km of range in 15 minutes - would be hard pressed to order your coffee and food and be back to the car in that time so waiting for charging will soon be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Proliferation of non-Tesla superfast networks in NA will lead to pressure for easy access to CCS.
There won't be much pressure unless/until those alternate networks come close to the size of the Supercharger network, come close to the charge rates of the Supercharger network, and most importantly, are actually located in convenient locations that support long distance trips. Alternate networks are no where close at this point, but that could change in the future.

I like the idea of having the whole world standardized on a single connector. But even CCS isn't really a single world-wide standard. Given that, there is very little incentive for Tesla to change anything in North America.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There won't be much pressure unless/until those alternate networks come close to the size of the Supercharger network, come close to the charge rates of the Supercharger network, and most importantly, are actually located in convenient locations that support long distance trips. Alternate networks are no where close at this point, but that could change in the future.

I like the idea of having the whole world standardized on a single connector. But even CCS isn't really a single world-wide standard. Given that, there is very little incentive for Tesla to change anything in North America.

North America includes Canada...
Supercharger availability is spartiate at best in Canada, CCS is currently being installed at large by our main service provider in Québec. I doubt that Tesla's coverage will ever be on par considering population density in rural areas or eastern provinces.
There IS a need for CCS on those cars. I think Canadians should have the same deal their European friends have.