Model 3 Catches Fire in Raleigh, NC

  • JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

  • SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Joined
Mar 28, 2019
Messages
74
Location
North Carolina
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#1
This happened last night so no word yet on the cause but the video seems to show something hanging down. Not sure if that is just a body panel that popped off due to the fire or if it is damage from hitting something. Haven't heard of a battery pack catching fire in a while and thought Tesla had solved it with good armor...

https://www.wral.com/tesla-catches-fire-on-western-boulevard/18696498/
 

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Joined
Oct 26, 2018
Messages
1,120
Location
Orlando FL
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#5
There are no jets of gas or flame visible as when the batteries ignite. But it could be the pack was shooting jets earlier. Or it could be there was an external (to the pack) fire, and the firefighters were making sure the pack stays cool, which is smart.

I think it might have been a short circuit in the 12 volt system, from where it's located. Car batteries can cause fires remarkably easily for them being only 12 volts.
 

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Moderator
Joined
Apr 2, 2016
Messages
10,184
Location
Vancouver, WA
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#7
Car batteries can cause fires remarkably easily for them being only 12 volts.
on a previous car (with a very pretty aluminum billet battery enclosure), I ended up starting a freak fire that luckily went out once the battery cable copper burnt thru.

(note to anyone with things within an engine compartment that may 'need' to be wiped down with metal polish - disconnect the 12V first, because a polish rag and a battery cable with exposed wire will arc and ignite, especially when its the night before you plan to leave on a cross country drive...).
ETA: I also kept the stub of the burnt thru battery cable in the car's console cubby as a reminder of my stupidity (or luck of not burning the car and house to a crisp).