Resolved Model 3 broke down after 1300 miles

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today driving to a local store my Model 3 LR RWD made one loud noise that sounded like "clunk" then the drive power ceased. I drove a very short distance to find a safe place to pull off the road. The car messages said to call for service and that the car would likely not restart. I tried restarting with no luck. Tesla arranged for a tow to the nearest service center.
the car is at the Service Center now. I will update this post when more information is available.

Update:
The car has been serviced, it was determined that the positive power switch contacts show voltage fluctuation which lead to pyro disconnect firing and cutting high voltage power to vehicle. Switches have been replaced and vehicle is operational. Parts are being returned for further analysis.

Tesla did not indicate what caused the voltage fluctuation.

[mod edit: made the update easier to find]​

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear about that. I'm kind of interested in what happened since I have the same model.

If that clunk noise came from the floor, that would be the high-voltage contactor opening. Other than that, there's not much else I can guess, since multiple things can cause it to open suddenly: 12-volt system failure (such as the 12v battery dying suddenly) causing the contactors to lose power, high voltage battery failure causing it to go into isolation, or the motor or motor controller failing causing it to draw too many amps and shut down.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the forum, and keep us in the loop!

Seconded @JasonF points, all seem the most likely culprits. Surely not a mechanical failure at this point and likely a safety in the electrical systems. Fingers crossed that it's a quick fix!

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Surely not a mechanical failure at this point and likely a safety in the electrical systems. Fingers crossed that it's a quick fix!
Personally I would have removed the 12 volt battery contacts and the high-voltage cutoff and then reapplied them to reset the system, and see if it does it again. If the contactor refuses to close, it would most likely either be an issue on the 12 volt side, or an interlock keeping the battery isolated. I have a 12 volt jump pack in the trunk, so I could even confirm that further by giving the battery some extra juice, and see if that closes the contactor. If it starts up but then fails again right away, that would most likely be the motor or motor controller.

If that doesn't seem worth it, it kind of is - it just eliminates the 12 volt battery as a cause, because that's the only piece that you can go to Wal-Mart in the middle of the night and find a replacement for.

It's kind of nice dealing with such a simple machine. Doesn't matter if it's powered by electricity, it's way easier to figure out than a gasoline engine.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Today driving to a local store my Model 3 LR RWD made one loud noise that sounded like "clunk" then the drive power ceased. I drove a very short distance to find a safe place to pull off the road. The car messages said to call for service and that the car would likely not restart. I tried restarting with no luck. Tesla arranged for a tow to the nearest service center.
the car is at the Service Center now. I will update this post when more information is available.
@AJSupermanAl, any updates? Thanks.