Model 3 BETA (RCs) Watch Thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mark C

Country
Country
since a dealership service crew put my car on a flatbed lift, instead of using the lift points, uniform panel joints have not been that much of a concern for me (@o& &*^ dealerships :rage:)
But wait Melinda, that can't be so! Dealerships and their service facilities are a value added part of the buying experience. I know it's true because they keep telling us it is. S/

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
But wait Melinda, that can't be so! Dealerships and their service facilities are a value added part of the buying experience. I know it's true because they keep telling us it is. S/
And, lets not forget the wonderful things that they do for the community. Imagine a child growing up without Little League. /s

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I am skeptical of skipping the Beta step for the Model 3.
They didn't say they were skipping the testing phase. Just the beta model, that is, a hand made car from production parts. Instead they will be doing the testing with production built cars. Thus more bugs will be found, sooner. This should improve quality not reduce it.

Thank you kindly.

$ Trillion Musk

Buy XRP world reserve digital currency
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
If Tesla is focusing on improving both quality and quantity through automation and efficiency, then I'm all for skipping the beta step. I like how they are treating their factories as products, much like their cars; aka the machine that builds the machine. It all makes sense when it comes to Tesla because their execution is unique and revolutionary at so many levels that no other companies can compare. I have full confidence in them.

Release candidate Model 3 - coming to a showroom near you!

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
They didn't say they were skipping the testing phase. Just the beta model, that is, a hand made car from production parts. Instead they will be doing the testing with production built cars. Thus more bugs will be found, sooner. This should improve quality not reduce it.

Thank you kindly.
If Tesla is focusing on improving both quality and quantity through automation and efficiency, then I'm all for skipping the beta step. I like how they are treating their factories as products, much like their cars; aka the machine that builds the machine. It all makes sense when it comes to Tesla because their execution is unique and revolutionary at so many levels that no other companies can compare. I have full confidence in them.

Release candidate Model 3 - coming to a showroom near you!
Temper your expectations for the earlier "production" Model 3...

Ever since the Roadster was released to the current models being produced today, Tesla HAS been releasing and selling BETA cars as production.

If you search for sale Roadsters, for example. One of the categories of cars that people advertise are the VP (Validation Prototype) vehicles (I believe there were 28 of those) and Tesla has sold most of those to individuals.

With Model S, the Founders and Signature series had a lot of things that were awesome, but many where things were improved SOON after the first set of cars were released. (Take a look at the differences in battery pack releases. Founders, Signature and many earlier S VINs had the A Pack... (these are limited to 90kW or is it 95kW of supercharging, when 120kW came out, folks were complaining...)

With Model X, look at the build quality of earlier VIN X vs. current build.

And all these cars, Tesla HAD a Beta car that they built.

Tesla is ALWAYS testing AND improving. That's the benefit of buying a later released car. It's also why Elon would prefer that customers LEASE their cars rather than buy them outright. That way you can always upgrade (and Tesla sells more cars.)

I would expect quality improvements to come to the Model 3 at the same rate as it has for S and X... Basically sooner and faster than the annual release cycles and as earlier purchasers work out the kinks. I was HOPING that there would be at least the same amount of steps in between OTHERS testing the cars than I. Really, the sweet financial spot for any US Model 3 reservatonist taking delivery of the 3 (assuming they can afford the delay and wait and are ALREADY reaping the benefits of driving an EV) is the quarter just after the 200k US Tesla is built and sold so that that purchaser is able to reap whatever process and technological improvements Tesla has done AND continue to qualify for the $7,500 EV grant (assuming that the Federal government has not repealed the grant.)

As for non-US reservationists, whatever works best for that individual. Based on Elon's assertions, both of our Model 3 reservations should be filled early. I originally intended on taking delivery of the first one to relegate my wife's Roadster to even more occasional use than it's experiencing now. However, we'll see. I was always planning on delaying the second one, I'm perfectly happy with our 2013 Model S as my daily driver. Besides, I like to drive.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Really, the sweet financial spot for any US Model 3 reservatonist taking delivery of the 3 (assuming they can afford the delay and wait and are ALREADY reaping the benefits of driving an EV) is the quarter just after the 200k US Tesla is built and sold so that that purchaser is able to reap whatever process and technological improvements
THIS is exactly when I expect mine to be delivered. I expect Tesla to hit the 200k-th delivery while working thru the CA region, then move on to the rest of the West Coast while still within the 1+ quarter(s) for the full $7500 (at least that's what I've been telling myself).

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
THIS is exactly when I expect mine to be delivered. I expect Tesla to hit the 200k-th delivery while working thru the CA region, then move on to the rest of the West Coast while still within the 1+ quarter(s) for the full $7500 (at least that's what I've been telling myself).
I think that some in the East Coast will be within the first 200k produced for US sale. So, your estimate is good.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been told by a contact the reservation count for Tesla employees is a lot less than one would think. No numbers were given however. If it's true then we could expect them to build the first bunch fairly quickly (July and early August?) for those in the Bay Area and get quick feedback.
We'll have to wait and see what their ramp looks like given this new production line. They've always struggled with ramping up quickly so hopefully it's different this time and they've actually made a lot of progress on their methods.
I'd hope so given they have some good talent that's joined the ranks over the last couple of years.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been told by a contact the reservation count for Tesla employees is a lot less than one would think. No numbers were given however. If it's true then we could expect them to build the first bunch fairly quickly (July and early August?) for those in the Bay Area and get quick feedback.
We'll have to wait and see what their ramp looks like given this new production line. They've always struggled with ramping up quickly so hopefully it's different this time and they've actually made a lot of progress on their methods.
I'd hope so given they have some good talent that's joined the ranks over the last couple of years.
I've heard that the unofficial employe count is close to 4,000...

$ Trillion Musk

Buy XRP world reserve digital currency
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
You've made me think of leasing now...

Tesla is ALWAYS testing AND improving. That's the benefit of buying a later released car. It's also why Elon would prefer that customers LEASE their cars rather than buy them outright. That way you can always upgrade (and Tesla sells more cars.)

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You've made me think of leasing now...
I recommend leasing for folks first EV... if you find one you want to keep, regardless of improvement to tech, then buy...

When we bought our Model S, Tesla did not offer any leasing programs. That being said, with all the miles we put on it, it was better for us to buy...

Last edited:

JimB

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven’t seen this referenced here or on twitter, it may have been, but I find this interview with Elon, recently, at the World Government Summit in Dubai very insightful. Especially, the last few minutes beginning at about 32:00. Elon talks about corrective feedback and that he is guilty of wishful thinking. He also made an interesting comment: “I’m not sure that I want to be me.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lre6GxiQUE

No question, he is very thoughtful and reflective. He is going to do everything possible to bring the Model 3 in on-time.

“We live in interesting times.”

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From none other than Elon himself:

Observations (of potato video taken @ Tesla headquarters in Palo Alto)

• Car looks pretty much the same as prototype (typical Tesla)
  • Centre screen is in the same place
  • No sign of a HUD
  • Nose appears to be a bit different (seems the same as Model S/X)
  • Prototype "J style" door handles are indeed final design
  • AP2 hardware present (in the side markers and B pillars)
  • "Turbine wheels" on this car. Can't tell if they're the same as the prototype.
  • Rear windows indeed don't go all the way down (see my Youtube Video for a discussion on why)
  • Wheels appear to be the same as turbines on silver prototype, minus the lug cover
  • At least we know it will come in black!

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The front looks a bit more blunt/curved on the top edge. Hard to tell though with the black paint and low res video

@Daniel Rotaru - the passenger has a laptop, but the center screen looks to be about the same location as the alphas - looks like more dash wrapped though (as expected)

front-png.1118

front1-png.1119