Model 3 Air Intake "Grille"

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MacInfoSys

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ran across this and I was wondering if it makes any sense to install something like this? I am thinking it would limit the air intake greatly and possibly cause more noise (maybe even whistling noise) trying to pull air in through those small holes.

Any thoughts ?

Here is the link for the product and I have enclosed a pict of what the current stock intake hole looks like.

Attachments

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ran across this and I was wondering if it makes any sense to install something like this? I am thinking it would limit the air intake greatly and possibly cause more noise (maybe even whistling noise) trying to pull air in through those small holes.

Any thoughts ?

Here is the link for the product and I have enclosed a pict of what the current stock intake hole looks like.

Interesting. Most vehicles have something OEM similar. If the first restriction down the intake was the replaceable filter it would probably be fine. It’s not however. The filter is farther down line in the intake. I see no harm and some benefit to a mesh at the top. Either the one you linked or a less restrictive wire mesh.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I genuinely wouldn't worry about either...

The intake filter is surely more restrictive than those holes, even at maximum airflow.
Also, I wouldn't worry about schmutz getting trapped in there either...because of the intake filter.

End of the day it probably won't hurt but it probably won't help/isn't necessary.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Any thoughts ?

Considering I have been removing tons of stuff falling from the trees the past few weeks, I bet I could have used this...I wonder if my intake is packed full already. Will have to take a closer look tomorrow

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country

Any thoughts ?
Considering that my Model 3 was parked under the trees of a NW rainforest all winter and was covered in falling evergreen needles and maple leaves, I don't think something like this is necessary or even beneficial. While a tiny number of needles ended up in the bottom of the air intake, they did no harm and were easy to pick out. The amount was actually so trivial I didn't even bother using a vacuum. The perforated plastic accessory looks like it would only stop some of them while reducing airflow significantly. It would just be one more thing to clean.

It looks poorly engineered in terms of the ratio of open space/blocked space. It's a solution looking for a problem. I wouldn't worry about it whistling but it will definitely reduce the volume of cabin air flow at higher fan settings. The paper cabin air filter isn't very restrictive and has much more surface area than the sum of the tiny holes in the "debris filter".

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well I specifically went out this weekend to look into the intake. The car sits under a maple tree in the driveway and there are tons of seeds and leaves and things constantly falling and covering it. I expected a ton of stuff in there.
Opened the frunk for the first time in ~9 months, glad no animals came running out...
Then I realized the intake seals pretty well to the plastic cover and is fairly well protected from stuff falling.
What was in there? Almost nothing. Just a few leaves. There's a metal mesh grate at the bottom that prevents most stuff from actually getting in. And what's nice is with the cover off the space is large enough to reach in and clear everything out. Seems like a good task to do every few months. And no need for that extra cover.
img_2033-1-jpg.26263

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well I specifically went out this weekend to look into the intake. The car sits under a maple tree in the driveway and there are tons of seeds and leaves and things constantly falling and covering it. I expected a ton of stuff in there.
Opened the frunk for the first time in ~9 months, glad no animals came running out...
Then I realized the intake seals pretty well to the plastic cover and is fairly well protected from stuff falling.
What was in there? Almost nothing. Just a few leaves. There's a metal mesh grate at the bottom that prevents most stuff from actually getting in. And what's nice is with the cover off the space is large enough to reach in and clear everything out. Seems like a good task to do every few months. And no need for that extra cover.
View attachment 26263
Looks like you could also be the next Spider-Man 🕷 :p

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'll add that the top of the air intake, the part in @JWardell 's photo with the foam gasket stuck to it, is easily removable simply by lifting upwards to release the plastic pushpins. With that out of the way you can easily reach your hand in there to clear any debris.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll add that the top of the air intake, the part in @JWardell 's photo with the foam gasket stuck to it, is easily removable simply by lifting upwards to release the plastic pushpins. With that out of the way you can easily reach your hand in there to clear any debris.
Good point. I wasn't sure how much it that piece would remove but did notice is is blocking the positive terminal of the battery, so good to know how to remove everything when needing or giving a jump start.

MosquitoFloss

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm a sucker for M3 accessories and I recently purchased this. It arrived today. I reopened the Amazon page for the product to see if I could find some instructions for mounting, as there were none included, and the product is listed as "currently unavailable". Hmmm? I hope this isn't because it's somehow faulty. Guess I'll put it in and report back. Looks to have some adhesive trip strips and just drops on. I'm guessing you don't want to take it in and out often or those adhesive strips will be rendered useless.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a sucker for M3 accessories and I recently purchased this. It arrived today. I reopened the Amazon page for the product to see if I could find some instructions for mounting, as there were none included, and the product is listed as "currently unavailable". Hmmm? I hope this isn't because it's somehow faulty. Guess I'll put it in and report back. Looks to have some adhesive trip strips and just drops on. I'm guessing you don't want to take it in and out often or those adhesive strips will be rendered useless.
When I visited it said 'only x in stock, order soon'...so might just be temporary.

MosquitoFloss

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I installed it yesterday and it all went in in about 30 seconds. Seems fine. Also seems unnecessary. When I looked down into the intake vent I saw a little dust, but no real solid matter (leaves, bugs, etc). I think you guys are ok skipping this one.

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered it because, well, why not... When I went to install it, i found a large amount of leaves and debris in the intake vent so, at least in my case, it looks like it will be worthwhile.

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed this leaf guard a few days ago because my neighbor has a birch tree, and it's always dropping crap all over my cars. It did take a while to get here from China, but I think it's worth the price, and fits fine.

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup, no issues with it and the vent grill plus charcoal pellet replacement filters.

Note to UK or Japan based owners: The intake filter and grill do not fit right hand drive Model 3s. Turns out their funnel has a different shape.