Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 40 of 135 Posts
Scrapps car looks great... if u don't mind me asking I'm looking to run the same set up on my model 3 the only thing that has me questioning the 20's over 19's is how much is your efficiency is affected by miles. Thanks
I don't have a direct comparison, but at the moment I'm getting about 260w/m on back road & city driving.

I didn’t lower the car. Considering it but I’m actually very happy with how it’s handling at the mo and can put up with the gap. My efficiency is actually just over 300 now after 100 miles. That’s mostly city and suburbs miles with a reasonably heavy foot ;)

Yikes...doesn't that equate to 250 mile total range? That's with the lighter TSW wheels too. Can't imagine what it will be with the 20" EV Direct wheels....

Did you have to do anything custom to get the TSW to fit?
They should fit without an issue. Most likely the control arm change is for a bigger or stiffer bushing. (They did the same for the original P85+ Model S. The P85+ included 21x9.0 rear wheels instead of 21x8.5 and went from a 41.5mm bushing to a 43.5mm bushing for the camber arm and increased the stiffness of the bushing at the same time. This later became the replacement for all RWD Model S due to it being stronger) However there are also plenty of regular P85 and Base cars running around with staggered wheels that didn't upgrade this control arm and didn't have any issues. ( I was a Tesla Tech and Parts manager for 4.5 years)

The 20x8.5 Nurburgring weighs 23 lbs (saves 7lbs over stock 20") the 20x10 weighs 24.5 lbs. (Saves 9.5 lbs over stock 20")
The few customers I've sold sets with the 235 Front and 275 Rear Michelin 4S tires to, have not said anything about a noticeable decrease in range. I would not have thought to go up to the 245 Front tire but I suppose that's an option I can offer as well now. The community here is great for new information even for vendors that sell the products sometimes :) I carry a number of different TSW Wheels w/ The Pilot 4S tires or I can make a custom package if you'd prefer a different size or brand of tire.

Gadget Plant Font Display device Multimedia
Here's a controlled test. 10 miles at 62mph with autopilot on a relatively empty freeway and no climate control. 264 Wh/mi. Weather was a cool 52°F

With regard anything custom that needed doing, only the custom made aluminum hub-centric rings as the place I got the wheels from didn't supply any.

View attachment 7946 Here's a controlled test. 10 miles at 62mph with autopilot on a relatively empty freeway and no climate control. 264 Wh/mi. Weather was a cool 52°F

With regard anything custom that needed doing, only the custom made aluminum hub-centric rings as the place I got the wheels from didn't supply any.
TSW will normally provide hub centering rings but it depends how the vendor ordered them. I should be able to get them separately if anyone needs a set. i just need to know the centerbore of the wheel you're trying to fit on.

The 20x8.5 Nurburgring weighs 23 lbs (saves 7lbs over stock 20") the 20x10 weighs 24.5 lbs. (Saves 9.5 lbs over stock 20")
Are you saying you've weighed the 20" Model 3 wheels that are only available from the Tesla website? Because those are the only "stock" 20" wheels currently available for the Model 3 and are 20x8.5 on all four corners.

TSportline has them listed on their site with the specs. I went off what they have posted.

https://tsportline.com/blogs/owners-guide/the-tesla-model-3-wheel-guide

Where Tesla doesn't list a 10" rear wheel please disregard the 20x10 comparison.

Either way any of TSW's Rotary forged wheels that I carry are going to be lighter than the cast wheels that Tesla makes. However stickier tires may offset the weight savings with higher rolling resistance.

Reactions: FlyNavy01
It means the wheel will sit 5mm in more closer to the hub/brakes. So depending on what you had for brakes and clearance in the wheel well it could cause issues with fitment but most likely nothing with an 8.5” rim. Performance is no different.

i just ordered 20' square from EV wheel direct for my M3. and tires off of Ebay. once i get them all i plan on taking them to a shop for installation. my question is can they swap my TPMS from old wheels to the new wheels or do i need to buy a new set?

@blue jay,

Hot Swappable from what I understand. They'll also sense the boot change and pop up on screen allows you to input wheel size/diameter I believe.

Ski

21 - 40 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.