Model 3 “Shutting Down” During Driving

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Yesterday a video popped up with the Model 3 warning the driver to pull over because it was “Shutting Down”. A bunch of messages pop up like power reduced, regen reduced, warning alarm going off.... all while actively driving. The driver pulls over and puts the car in park and does the hokey pokey and the alarm stops without the car appearing to do any hard reboot. After driving again, the alarm comes back.

I’ve experienced this somewhat in my X as recently as Monday where the center screen was totally dark and I couldn’t listen to music or turn on the heat but because the S/X have two computers, my driving was never affected. Interesting to see what will happen after the techs do their investigation..

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
FYI - IF this happens to anyone, I suggest remaining calm and pull over to a safe, well lit location (preferably with an address if you need to call for a tow or assistance). It appears that driving safely can still occur but acceleration and regen may be limited. If you have a passenger, as this person did, recording the warnings may help the technician.

Then, remember the reboots! First is the "soft" reboot that you do by holding down both steering wheel dials for several seconds. Then, you can try the hard reboot in the settings menu.

All I can say is I hope these are super limited incidents. It's just never an issue I've (fortunately) ever had to worry about with my Toyota/Honda/Mazda vehicles.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All I can say is I hope these are super limited incidents. It's just never an issue I've (fortunately) ever had to worry about with my Toyota/Honda/Mazda vehicles.
I have had this issue with Ford (CMax Energi 2013) and my Passat W8 (fun and unreliable). The CMax was towed and the Passat successfully rebooted.

Most likely onboard electronics detected values that are out of nominal range in whatever location.
Playing safe (reduced loads) will reduce any risk on that component going worse.
Getting outside disconnects HV contactor. Getting in again reengages it. This likely resets active fault.
As the problem repeated, it was not a glitch and whatever value that was out of spec stayed out of spec.
It was detected right after hard acceleration. Likely component heated up and resistance went up.
It can be a simple thing like bad connection on heavy duty line.

Good to know that Model 3 has limp* mode. AFAIK Model S/X did not. They forced you to stop immediately.
Advanced ICE vehicles have hundreds of limp modes. I can recall at least 50-70 right now:confused:

*also known as failsafe protocol.

jackblack

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same problem last night. After I charged my model 3 (about 1 o'clock AM) at supercharger station the first error message shown up "Power reduced Exist and re-enter car - may restore operation". Car will not move at all: forward or back. I followed this instruction in couple time but it did not work. So I rebooted it and was able to drive it about 100 feet. There was no acceleration at all and big noise from rear wheels. Then there were several other error messages coming after randomly: " Shutting down..pull over safely", "Automatic emergency brake disabled".. I back to the Supercharger station and called Tesla for help. They instructed me to reboot it again but it did not work. I was told that this problem can't be resolved over the air so it has to be towed to my home Tesla store which is 100 miles away. 2 hours late a towing truck came and we come back to home with my car at 5 o'clock AM.

[mod edit - removal of FUD]

Last edited by a moderator:

jackblack

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They replaced entire drive unit and I got my car back on Monday evening. On the Tuesday evening when I drive to home there are four error messages come out: Car needs service (steering assist reduced); Automatic Emergency Breaking is disabled; Traction Control disabled (contact Tesla Service); Regenerative braking disabled (proceed with caution). When Regenerative braking disabled you feel car is free rolling when you off the acceleration paddle. Very scaring because you don't know how much braking force you have to apply to it. I sent message with pictures to local Tesla store there is now contact at all. I sent email to customer services there is no response. So I called Tesla service it said the waiting time is at least 30 minutes. So I called customer service and they told me I should call service. I twitted Tesla and E M there is no response because we know he twits trash only and will not address any issues. Someone told me we as a customer, protected by "Lemon Law". We should get new car or compensated if 1. repeated problems but can't fix three times. 2. more than 30 days in service in the first year. I think we need a layer to represent us to protect our right. Tesla said no problem we are going to fix it but there are so many problems in Model 3 so you can't get your car in service because there is no open spot. I had this problem on Dec 11 but the first open is on Dec 19. I feel unsafe to drive this car. Also the local store is 32 miles away from my home. It is so frustrated to go there, have a rental, got back, return rental car. Yes, Tesla can fix it later but what about the time and suffering we have? The problem is you don't know what problem will come. Sometime these warning message will disappear next day but come again. Is any layer will come up to take this job? We should go as a group. Or anyone knows there is a good lawyers please contact them.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I cant believe Elon dd did not address this through an unsubstantiated twitter..ok yes I can. If you follow his tweets and the responses to it you will see the literally thousands of caustic, inane, immature and silly responses that immediately follow that look like they come from 6th graders, insane asylums or new arrivals at drug detox facilities. No one could possibly read them all and have any idea which are legit. I could send a tweet right now "Hey Elon my car blew up forming a giant dangerous Floridian sink hole" and I doubt he would read it or respond.

99.5 % Everything with a new Tesla is absolutely perfect. If you are in the other 0.5% its a hassle. Tesla has the highest owner rating and brand repurchase of any car out there. The forums are also plagued with nefarious short sellers and trolls so it is sometimes hard to get reliable info. Hang in there. In over 100k miles on Tesla's I have only had the most minor of issues and it has been the most reliable of electronic possessions I have ever owned. Their products are so good, that car production has grown way faster than customer service which is growing at a slower pace...growing pains big time.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
So did Tesla do anything? My car had a drive unit failure with less than 500 miles and it was replaced along with pyrofuse. At over 8000 miles my car would not go into drive after supercharging and required a tow. Car was in service for over 20 days. They replaced the drive unit/pyrofuse and it still put out error messages so another drive unit and pyrofuse was put in. Service reassured me that the engineering team looked at the car and it should be fine, but being on my 4th drive unit leaves me skeptical. Communication was very poor and nothing but a loaner was offered. Tried to initiate a buyback but they said it needed to be in service for full month, I was at 25 days. Wish they could throw in something for the major inconvenience. Lifetime supercharging or something.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So did Tesla do anything? My car had a drive unit failure with less than 500 miles and it was replaced along with pyrofuse. At over 8000 miles my car would not go into drive after supercharging and required a tow. Car was in service for over 20 days. They replaced the drive unit/pyrofuse and it still put out error messages so another drive unit and pyrofuse was put in. Service reassured me that the engineering team looked at the car and it should be fine, but being on my 4th drive unit leaves me skeptical. Communication was very poor and nothing but a loaner was offered. Tried to initiate a buyback but they said it needed to be in service for full month, I was at 25 days. Wish they could throw in something for the major inconvenience. Lifetime supercharging or something.
That's so weird...4 drive units? It's not the drive unit that needs to be investigated. It's what is causing the repeat failures that is the big question. The drive units have been solid with virtually no issues. If 4 fail then replacing them over and over is not the solution. Something must be causing it. I just have a hard time believing they would just keep replacing them and tell you that "it should be fine". I have a hard time believing that you would accept this without further explanation. I have a hard time believing that you as an experienced Tesla owner would post this without further explanation. I have a hard time believing this story ...its too thin and lacks any sort of details that would make it useful. Could you add some details that would make it believable and useful? As you know, the boards are full of nefarious short sellers and trolls that are usually identifiable by posts listing wild atypical problems, lack of detail and few posts. Check, check check.

Help us out. Lets say I was a short seller who had been following Tesla for a while. I would know that early on, before 2015 drive units were an issue. I would do a post saying my drive unit failed over and over. I would then point at engineers/service saying they fixed it and it was not fixed. I would then say that they would not offer me a suitable remedy. Following the boards and armed with knowledge I would then try to make it sound believable by adding something like at " least they could offer me free supercharging" . I would be an infrequent poster with no real history. I would have no pictures or details such as screen shots/ failure codes and I would not list the service center that I took it to or who exactly I spoke with.

Gusm3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m very interested to know what’s going to happen because we just made a purchase of three times the amount of a car we would normally do and I would hate if this would’ve happened to me as well it will not be strong for Tesla please pay attention

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello Model 3 Owners, I also experienced the same experience yesterday after charging for few hrs at my office. Fortunately, after exiting from the car and getting in again, I was able to drive. Based on Tesla customer support advice, I drove to nearest Tesla service center. After mentioning the issue, they said, vehicle has to be in service center for few days for diagnosis. Hope to hear back from with with updates on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
That's so weird...4 drive units? It's not the drive unit that needs to be investigated. It's what is causing the repeat failures that is the big question. The drive units have been solid with virtually no issues. If 4 fail then replacing them over and over is not the solution. Something must be causing it. I just have a hard time believing they would just keep replacing them and tell you that "it should be fine". I have a hard time believing that you would accept this without further explanation. I have a hard time believing that you as an experienced Tesla owner would post this without further explanation. I have a hard time believing this story ...its too thin and lacks any sort of details that would make it useful. Could you add some details that would make it believable and useful? As you know, the boards are full of nefarious short sellers and trolls that are usually identifiable by posts listing wild atypical problems, lack of detail and few posts. Check, check check.

Help us out. Lets say I was a short seller who had been following Tesla for a while. I would know that early on, before 2015 drive units were an issue. I would do a post saying my drive unit failed over and over. I would then point at engineers/service saying they fixed it and it was not fixed. I would then say that they would not offer me a suitable remedy. Following the boards and armed with knowledge I would then try to make it sound believable by adding something like at " least they could offer me free supercharging" . I would be an infrequent poster with no real history. I would have no pictures or details such as screen shots/ failure codes and I would not list the service center that I took it to or who exactly I spoke with.
I never really post here but have been around a while. I posted on Tesla motors club and the on the Tesla forum. I personally had 1 drive unit failure at under 500 miles and it was changed quickly and was driving fine for the next 8000 miles. On Thanksgiving day I had driven up to visit family to NorCal and car had the message as seen in the image attached and would not go into drive and required the tow after supercharging. They did not communicate much with me and I had to initiate the calls. They replaced the drive unit and pyrofuse and examined the car but it was still throwing errors and they had the lead engineering team look at the car. The service rep said it had not been seen before but car was thoroughly looked over and wiring was fixed and drive unit/pyrofuse was replaced again while they had it. I tried to go for a buy back but I was told it needed to be gone for 30 days before those talks came up. Just getting a hold of someone and getting answers was a hard ordeal. I think communication needs to be improved and wasn't offered anything but a loaner. I support Tesla and love the cars when they work but in the rare cases they don't it really is a nightmare dealing with them.

Attachments

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I never really post here but have been around a while. I posted on Tesla motors club and the on the Tesla forum. I personally had 1 drive unit failure at under 500 miles and it was changed quickly and was driving fine for the next 8000 miles. On Thanksgiving day I had driven up to visit family to NorCal and car had the message as seen in the image attached and would not go into drive and required the tow after supercharging. They did not communicate much with me and I had to initiate the calls. They replaced the drive unit and pyrofuse and examined the car but it was still throwing errors and they had the lead engineering team look at the car. The service rep said it had not been seen before but car was thoroughly looked over and wiring was fixed and drive unit/pyrofuse was replaced again while they had it. I tried to go for a buy back but I was told it needed to be gone for 30 days before those talks came up. Just getting a hold of someone and getting answers was a hard ordeal. I think communication needs to be improved and wasn't offered anything but a loaner. I support Tesla and love the cars when they work but in the rare cases they don't it really is a nightmare dealing with them.
Thanks for the info. I wonder what the heck was going on that caused 2 drive units to fail? It sounds like some kind of wiring issue that triggered a drive unit failure. Not knowing this, they replaced the drive unit and when it failed they dug deeper and fixed the primary issue.

Hope all goes well. Yes communication is an issue...serious growing pains while service struggles to handle the increased production.