Mobile Connector Blinking errors

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My mobile connector is giving a 5 blink error code when charging for both the NEMA 5-15 120V plug (tried several) and the NEMA 14-50 240V 50 A plugs. To be honest, I did not concern myself with it when at first using the 120 V connector. It would read charging at 3 MPH at 8 amps. It was when I had the opportunity to use the 14-50 when I noticed it warned that charging speed was reduced (7 MPH at 8 amps with the + grayed out.) That was when I took note of the error code. I tried all the recommended connect - disconnect variations, even retried the 120 v connector. I don't think it is the "on board charger" since I often use public charging with no problems. I am suspecting a faulty mobile connector. Anyone else have this issue? I will contact Tesla about this next week.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Gen 2 Mobile Connector Owners Manual

Green: Streaming
Red: 5 flashes
Charging current is reduced due to a detected fault in the adapter.
Make sure the Mobile Connector’s adapter is attached properly.

So, make sure the 14-50 adapter is seated completely and try again. If you still can't get it to work, take it to a Tesla Service Center.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Found the issue. It is the connection between the adapter cords and the mobile connector. I had to press it in very aggressively and the red blinking "T" turned green. I had been focusing on the wall plug side, and it was the connector side. I will try a good contact cleaner when back at home, also will invest in a mounting bracket to act as strain relief rather then letting it just hang.

All part of the learning curve.

pdp1

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looking at the manual, it means it detected "GROUND LOSS", which I assume to mean the ground connection is somehow loose. I checked my 14-50 outlet and made sure the ground (and neutral) wires were both secure and the outlet holes themselves were holding the charger adapter prongs tightly. I then noticed that if I just wiggle the charger adapter a little, all 5 TESLA green lights come on and everything works fine.... until next time I somehow move the charger just right so the red T blinks again. This only has happened twice in the 2 weeks I've had my M3 and when I get the 5 TESLA leds back on, the car still charges just fine at the full 240V and 32A. Any suggestions on what I should do? Are there any conclusive tests I can do to isolate the problem to either the 14-50 outlet or the mobile connector and/or 14-50 adapter? If it's the mobile connector and/or 14-50 adapter, I want to get a replacement from Tesla ASAP.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have you tried unplugging the 14-50 plug from the mobile connector and replugging it? Almost sounds like the pins aren't quite lining up.

pdp1

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have you tried unplugging the 14-50 plug from the mobile connector and replugging it? Almost sounds like the pins aren't quite lining up.
I haven’t experienced the T 2x blink on the UMC since my last post. I did push in the 14-50 adapter a little tighter, though it didn’t really feel like it moved. Perhaps it was loose. Just wanted to give an update in case anyone else experiences the same thing.

Rev

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looking at the manual, it means it detected "GROUND LOSS", which I assume to mean the ground connection is somehow loose. I checked my 14-50 outlet and made sure the ground (and neutral) wires were both secure and the outlet holes themselves were holding the charger adapter prongs tightly. I then noticed that if I just wiggle the charger adapter a little, all 5 TESLA green lights come on and everything works fine.... until next time I somehow move the charger just right so the red T blinks again. This only has happened twice in the 2 weeks I've had my M3 and when I get the 5 TESLA leds back on, the car still charges just fine at the full 240V and 32A. Any suggestions on what I should do? Are there any conclusive tests I can do to isolate the problem to either the 14-50 outlet or the mobile connector and/or 14-50 adapter? If it's the mobile connector and/or 14-50 adapter, I want to get a replacement from Tesla ASAP.
Ive been having this same problem as well. Once in a while ill get a 5 red light fault and I can only charge to 8A on 120V. Seems to be random I just tried it today and now its working fine. Im getting the 5 red fault both at work and at home so it has to be the adaptor.

pdp1

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
M
Ive been having this same problem as well. Once in a while ill get a 5 red light fault and I can only charge to 8A on 120V. Seems to be random I just tried it today and now its working fine. Im getting the 5 red fault both at work and at home so it has to be the adaptor.
My problem was actually only the T light blinking twice (and then repeating). When it happens, the car doesn’t charge at all, so it’s actually a different problem than the original post... my post was separate from this one but was recently merged with it.

But speaking of which, Murphy’s Law, the day after my last post, the T blinking twice happened again! Unplugging/replugging and then twisting the 14-50 adapter around fixed it again. I’m thinking it might be something defective in the adapter or the mobile connector itself.

Home charging for 3 months using NEMA 1450 with absolutely no problems and suddenly I get this message and limit of only 8A at 240V. Unplugged and reinserted, turned breaker off, unplugged cable, turned off breaker, plugged it back in and turned on breaker again but no difference. Any ideas?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Home charging for 3 months using NEMA 1450 with absolutely no problems and suddenly I get this message and limit of only 8A at 240V. Unplugged and reinserted, turned breaker off, unplugged cable, turned off breaker, plugged it back in and turned on breaker again but no difference. Any ideas?
what blinking errors are showing on the mobile connector? have you checked them against the extensive list of blink error codes in the UMC manual?

Thanks for the reference to the manual for the mobile connector. I’m getting 5 flashes of the red light which indicates that I should make sure the mobile connector’s adapter is attached properly. I had already tried all that is recommended because I had already plugged and unplugged the adapter, flipped circuit breaker off and on, and plugged and unplugged the car.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Haven’t tried any adapters and I’m not sure how I would do that with my 1450 outlet. The mobile connector blinks 5 reds when not plugged into the car.
I meant to change to the household 110v outlet adapter and plug it into a standard 5-15 outlet.

a8763506-fe5c-4d63-8079-67b79a6df502-jpeg.19843

If it worked without error on a standard outlet it would eliminate the error being in the main part of the connector, leaving it to out outlet or the 14-50 connector.
Then find another 14-50 outlet and try it. If it doesn’t have errors, the issue is with your wall outlet. If it has errors it would be the connector.

Problem found. I have a defective 220 V adapter. Did some troubleshooting and swapping out with a friend who also has a Model 3. Continuity and all looks OK with multimeter but it’s definitely defective.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Had an error today when plugging in the car at home - UMC that came with the car plugged in to 14-50. Has been charging for months. It was cold and wet here today. Plugged in and started charging and then quit. Blinking red one time on the UMC. Indicated a ground fault and unplug and try again and then contact Tesla. Tried unplugging on the car end and then the wall, then flipping the breaker. Repeated results after about 2 minutes of attempted charging.

Before calling Tesla which is suggested next in the manual, I gave the car the two button reboot. Plugged it back in and no issues. Charging just fine now for about 45 minutes. Something just a little crossed up in the SW is my guess.

So it may not always be physical or a real problem in the UMC, give the car a reboot while troubleshooting these issues as well !