Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Missing FSD?

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  nonStopSwagger 
#1 ·
Tesla has removed FSD from the ordering process; however, when I go to 'View Vehicle Details', FSD (which I purchased before delivery) is now missing from my options list... anyone else seeing this?

#2 ·
Indeed, and white interior is cheaper at $1k instead of $1.5k, and mid-range (not short range) is now available.

#3 ·
Elon followed with a Tweet saying FSD was removed due to confusion and would be back in a week. I’m confused about what was confusing ;)

#7 ·
Elon followed with a Tweet saying FSD was removed due to confusion and would be back in a week. I'm confused about what was confusing ;)
I love Musk, Tesla, and my Model 3, but I must say that, when it comes to terminology and acronyms, they are the pits... On another thread, someone was talking about the PUP Model 3 (and meant Performance version wit the upgrade package, not the -- so far universal -- Premium Upgrade Package, which is what everyone has meant by PUP since March 2016 -- but I can see where he was coming from). Everyone seems to have been confusing Autopilot, EAP, and FSD into some vague "self-driving" option. We have AP versions and hardware versions, but they are the same. FSD option is not "full self-driving" in the sense of Level 4 or 5, but a ticket to get additional features along the road to Level 4 or 5. Etc, etc.
Not sure things will be that much better in a week ;-) but it can't really be much worse...

#10 ·
Elon followed with a Tweet saying FSD was removed due to confusion and would be back in a week. I'm confused about what was confusing ;)
Apparently you are confused, because that's not what he said. ;)

To me, it sounds like you can continue to order it (off-menu) during the next week. After that, it's completely unavailable to order.

#6 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if they rename it or at least change the description. Maybe something like "Autonomous Driving Features" to make it clear that you're getting some incremental features on the path towards full autonomy. I expect that "Full Self Driving" is still years away from being a reality.

#11 ·
Since they have a new board being developed in house for FSD and it's availability is still about 6 months out it almost makes sense they pulled it. When the hardware is available they can make an offer to anyone that didn't previously purchase it to do so at a given price. It will involve a trip to the SC to get the upgraded hardware.

The only way I see this hurts them is that a lot of people don't want to cough up $3K to $5K out of their pocket at once to add it later, they'd much rather purchase it up front and have it financed with the rest of the car.

EDIT - Or - since we are all simply guessing anyway, maybe they can deliver this new hardware much cheaper and they will drop FSD and have one option EAP, which will just get smarter and smarter and more features over time as allowed by the technology and government. They'd make me a happy camper, but I'm sure they'd have to be refunding the FSD money that others have already paid and I don't know what percentage that really is. So I'm just really wishing in one and hand and you know what in the other. One could only hope.

Reactions: MartyF and garsh
#14 ·
I wonder how that works for those of us that ordered it and have not paid for our cars yet?

I'm thinking if you already ordered it then the old hardware will be installed and you qualify for the free upgrade. Makes sense not to keep manufacturing old Tech to just replace it 6-9 months later

#15 ·
I wonder how that works for those of us that ordered it and have not paid for our cars yet?

I'm thinking if you already ordered it then the old hardware will be installed and you qualify for the free upgrade. Makes sense not to keep manufacturing old Tech to just replace it 6-9 months later
but the hardware itself, no matter if you order EAP or FSD (or neither) is installed the same. So they are not saving on equipment install by temporarily removing the FSD option. What they likely will reduce by removing the option now, is the amount of Tesla paid for free hardware changes vs customer requested (paid) hardware changes once the new equipment is available.

OR - they are rethinking the pay structure of the FSD option all together.....

#17 ·
My guess is they have decided FSD is too cheap at 3k. Most of the competition would price it at 10k or higher. So expect it to come back, but for a lot more money.

Also they may hold off offering it again until hw3 is being put into cars. I'm guessing Tesla get a lot of shade for selling something that does not exist yet. Phone reps are probably sick of questions and complaints, especially with the deluge of new Tesla owners who cannot be placated by the phrase 'Elon time'

#19 ·
I don't think you threw the money away. Even if the current tesla cars never get real FSD, you'll get the updated HW3 computer next year. I'd expect that to improve on the current autopilot to where its essentially able to completely drive on the highway without any human intervention ever needed. I feel the current HW2 cars are probably close to the limits of what they can do right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.