Minor issues I noticed today after taking delivery of a Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

reve

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
So I finally took delivery today and was rushed out in less than 10 minutes.

While I was still parking in front of the service center, I did a quick check up and found two issues which I've never seen before.

1. Driver side mirror dome not aligned.Passenger side is OK. Service center is still checking if they can fix it. See picture below.

2. Steel wheel material looks like cracked. I don't know if this is normal or defective? Can someone advise?

Nonissue but worth mentioning.
Door/window seal looks odd. As long as it doesn't leak, I think I am fine with it.

I also noticed that doors are extremely difficult to close. I almost always had to close them one more time with much stronger force.

That frunk closing method is a joke. My IDA showed me the way to gently close it and suggested that it may be dented if doing it wrong. Seriously?

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
First: Congratulations on your 3!
Second: Minor, but agree I’d be looking for them to fix. Though hard for me to tell if the steering wheel item is a wrinkle or tear. If a tear, yeah they should fix for sure.

But given they should take care of you over time... enjoy!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What car are you coming from? The doors are equivalently as heavy as German cars which I like. That may take getting used to...

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I drove my M3 through multiple rainstorms in S. Florida past few days. No leaks, no worries on the windows.

But I did have the same impression on the door. If you just push them closed with light to moderate force, they don't seal completely. They remain ajar. For comparison, I have owned Lexus cars and SUV's since 2003, all close like they only need a gentle push.

reve

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
What car are you coming from? The doors are equivalently as heavy as German cars which I like. That may take getting used to...
BMW. I suppose it is because this car has frameless windows which make me a little bit more cautious.

reve

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
First: Congratulations on your 3!
Second: Minor, but agree I’d be looking for them to fix. Though hard for me to tell if the steering wheel item is a wrinkle or tear. If a tear, yeah they should fix for sure.

But given they should take care of you over time... enjoy!
Thank you

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Congrats on the car. I know you've not had the best couple of weeks waiting on Tesla, but they will truly take care of you and the car. I've not seen a mirror like that, but I do know those caps come off somewhat easily. Someone has taken theirs off just to find pictures of the LTE and Bluetooth antenna's. They posted pics. I'm sure it will be a fairly straight forward fix. Give it light bath in a day or two and check for leaks, that will beat getting caught out in a huge storm the first time you find you might truly have a seal issue. On the doors it took me a few weeks to get to the point I'd get them closed the first push. I tried to be gentle and I hate people that slam car doors, but I've finally found the right force and it does take a bit to get them to close up tight. It is a nice tight close though. No rattling and I think they are nice and solid.

Hang in there and enjoy the car.

Edit- I would agree the steering wheel doesn't look quite right straight from the factory either. I'm sure they will replace it for you.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
BMW. I suppose it is because this car has frameless windows which make me a little bit more cautious.
Yeah that could definitely be it. The car should have that nice thud closing like the BMW. I’m sure you’ll get used to it in no time.

I’m curious how you feel about the trunk. The trunk to me is abnormally difficult to close.

reve

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Yeah that could definitely be it. The car should have that nice thud closing like the BMW. I’m sure you’ll get used to it in no time.

I’m curious how you feel about the trunk. The trunk to me is abnormally difficult to close.
Trunk is actually OK for me. Frunk is like a design flaw to me. It requires customer to learn how to use it and you would also have to teach other people how to use it.

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Don't want to hijack this thread but...what is the issue with trunk and frunk closing?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't want to hijack this thread but...what is the issue with trunk and frunk closing?
The trunk requires you to push down to close it. You can't just give it enough momentum to have it close itself. So, that means you have to actually touch the sheetmetal. Not ideal. See @SoFlaModel3's video (embedded at the end of this post).

With the frunk, you must push down to close it. It actually takes a bit of force, and if you push in the wrong place, you risk bending the aluminum sheet metal.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The trunk requires you to push down to close it. You can't just give it enough momentum to have it close itself. So, that means you have to actually touch the sheetmetal. Not ideal. See @SoFlaModel3's video (embedded at the end of this post).

With the frunk, you must push down to close it. It actually takes a bit of force, and if you push in the wrong place, you risk bending the aluminum sheet metal.

At work - so I didn't watch that video, but I personally don't have a problem with the trunk (I know many have reported they do), but with the trunk I use one of the inside handles and pull down to about 10 to 12 inches and then put my hand on the tag and push down with a bit of a firm push, seems to close very well. The frunk, well everyone knows that story. I don't have much of a need to use it and I really don't because then I have to worry about hand prints or finding a cloth to wipe it down with.

Last edited:

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree on the frunk, bad design. But for the trunk, I also found that you pull down on inner handle and from the outside the last push on the license plate/tag, closes it nicely.

I do miss my auto close from previous GS350

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...pull down to about 10 to 12 inches and then put my hand on the tag and push down...
...pull down on inner handle and from the outside the last push on the license plate/tag...
That last part shouldn't be required.

Ideally, there should be a "balance point" somewhere in the middle of the trunk's travel - if you lift it above this point, it should continue to open the rest of the way on its own (and it does). If you move the lid below this point, it should continue to close on its own, and with enough momentum to latch itself.

Anyhow, it's a pretty minor issue. Not ideal behavior for a trunk.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That last part shouldn't be required.

Ideally, there should be a "balance point" somewhere in the middle of the trunk's travel - if you lift it above this point, it should continue to open the rest of the way on its own (and it does). If you move the lid below this point, it should continue to close on its own, and with enough momentum to latch itself.

Anyhow, it's a pretty minor issue. Not ideal behavior for a trunk.
I don't disagree with you, should be a one handed operation. I will however take this over the Fusion we just traded. While it was a very good car and could parallel park better than anything you've ever seen, the trunk would not stay up. The struts were not strong enough. You'd raise it and lean in and it to get something and it would slowly come down on your head. So while I hope this improves with Tesla, they could have gotten it wrong the other way, which is worse I think.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The trunk requires you to push down to close it. You can't just give it enough momentum to have it close itself. So, that means you have to actually touch the sheetmetal. Not ideal.

Trunk Closing - I'm guessing with some time the struts may loosen up a bit to allow for easier closing, although I don't imagine pushing down on the sturdy edge with your palm is any real risk to the paint or otherwise. It's a very sturdy part of the trunk lid to be handling.

On the bright side the Model 3 trunk folds up and completely out of the way, so at even 6' 2" I have no risk of catching it with my head unlike my wife's Lincoln MKX which I crack almost every time I load/unload it. But the Lincoln does have a motorized closure so that's showing off vs the Model 3. :cool:

Frunk Closing - Definitely not ideal, wish they could have just weighted it so it would latch like every other hood out there. This was the MAJOR selling point for me to have the full hood wrapped knowing it would be handled and touched rather frequently.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will however take this over the Fusion we just traded. ... the trunk would not stay up. The struts were not strong enough.
How old was it? The struts probably just needed to be replaced.

I had to replace the trunk struts on my Dodge Intrepid at one point. They had become weak enough that the trunk would chop off your head if you didn't hold it up.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How old was it? The struts probably just needed to be replaced.

I had to replace the trunk struts on my Dodge Intrepid at one point. They had become weak enough that the trunk would chop off your head if you didn't hold it up.
Likely could have been age, but it pretty much did it from the first day. It was 5 years old, a 2013, which was the first year of the Fusion redesign. It was the Titanium/Platinum version which added a Spoiler on the trunk. The vast majority didn't have that. I figure the trunk was built and designed for "non-spoiler" versions and they didn't to do the due diligence to realize that adding the spoiler required a sturdier strut for that small population of the cars. It wasn't bad enough that I sought out a solution to fix it, but did get a little annoying.