Minnesota Model 3 thread

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do not see a Minnesota-centric thread yet here, so I'll start one.

We can use this as a discussion thread for Minnesota reservation holders, owners and those interested in the 3. In addition, it could be a nice central point for information on area events and gatherings, or news that is specifically relevant to those in the state.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took delivery in Dania Beach FL, since I spend the winter there.
Thanks for clarifying. Make sure to bring the 3 back with you - I could stand to see a few driving around town! It seems like a fair number delivered at EP end up going out of state (IA, WI, etc). I've actually yet to see one being driven on MSP or greater MN (or western WI) roads.

Also, bring some milder spring weather while you're at it ;)

sledhead36

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for clarifying. Make sure to bring the 3 back with you - I could stand to see a few driving around town! It seems like a fair number delivered at EP end up going out of state (IA, WI, etc). I've actually yet to see one being driven on MSP or greater MN (or western WI) roads.

Also, bring some milder spring weather while you're at it ;)
Will do on both counts!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I am definitely starting to see them around Twin cities driving on 35E. Also have seen one parked near MIA or Children's Theater company.

I do not understand how people expect to drive around with RWD in Minnesota. I can't even get up my inclined driveway with FWD with All-Season tires. Low rolling resistance tires will be worse. I literally would not be able to take delivery.

Waiting for the Dual-motor version myself. Hopefully a HUD will be available as well.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I do realize that proper winter tires will make things a lot better. I have Bliztaks on the said FWD in order to make it capable of going up the driveway very easily. That, however, does not give me the assurance that a RWD T3 will be able to do that as easily even with the winter tires.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do realize that proper winter tires will make things a lot better. I have Bliztaks on the said FWD in order to make it capable of going up the driveway very easily. That, however, does not give me the assurance that a RWD T3 will be able to do that as easily even with the winter tires.
I've written an entire post on this subject, complete with explanations and videos. Please take a look:

Worried About Snow? Don't Dismiss Getting Rear Wheel Drive!

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know what value is used for registration purpose with the state? Is it the final sticker price, or is it the base price before items like EAP, etc are added on?

I'm considering waiting on EAP and perhaps adding it later. I'm wondering if opting out of EAP and adding it later would realize a lower registration fee for the first several years by doing so. Obviously it wouldn't offset the penalty you have to pay Tesla to add it later, but it was something I was curious about when weighing the decision and attempting to run the numbers.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know what value is used for registration purpose with the state? Is it the final sticker price, or is it the base price before items like EAP, etc are added on?

I'm considering waiting on EAP and perhaps adding it later. I'm wondering if opting out of EAP and adding it later would realize a lower registration fee for the first several years by doing so. Obviously it wouldn't offset the penalty you have to pay Tesla to add it later, but it was something I was curious about when weighing the decision and attempting to run the numbers.
To answer my own question:

I reached out to an advisor, who said that the registration fee amount is based on the final price of the car, which includes all upgrades you make (LR, EAP, PUP, etc). So, taking EAP does mean your registration over time is higher and in turn does eat into the $1k savings of purchasing EAP up front, though only to the tune of about $350 (at least for the config I am looking at).

Still, it was helpful for me as I run the numbers and make my decision whether to include EAP or not, especially as someone whose day-to-day use makes it really difficult to justify. I'd only get occasional weekend/evening/vacation use out of it. As such, my plan is to opt out of EAP - the recent update makes it a little tougher to say no, but I'm glad I slept on it, as I'm seeing new videos today that make it clear even on-ramp to off-ramp driving is still a work in progress, despite the leap forward with 10.4. So, I'll enjoy the lower registration for now and then if/when my use case changes or EAP gets significantly better, I can reconsider. Ultimately, it'll cost me closer to $5600 rather than $6k if and when I do.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have any of the MN reservation holders in the February non-owner batches taken delivery? I'd assume the MN folks in that group at least have their VINs by now?

Tesla blue 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know if this is the place to put this but, I saw what I believe was a self driving car yesterday on Snelling Ave headed north from Marshall Ave. It continued North past county road B where I turned off.

it was a Toyota Camry (a couple oft body styles back - maybe 2015) with 4 arrays set at 45 degree angle just in front and back of the windshield. There was a single occupant (not touching the wheel) and multiple computer screens. The car had no markings on it other than the Toyota badges and NO LICENCE PLATE.- duh duh dum!

Just thought it was interesting. I did not know they were testing non driving cars in Minnesota.