Midnight Silver Chrome Delete - other options than black?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

davidericlee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm going to do the chrome delete on my midnight silver m3.. but I don't really like the look of the black - think it looks cheap. I'm leaning towards using a matte grey or matte gunmetal vinyl instead which will give the appearance the trim is still metal but would be a darker metal color to match the monotone silver paint color.

Has anyone done this? Would love to see pics though I haven't found any yet.

Also had a crazy idea - what about matte white? i can't really visualize it.. but might be unique? ha

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't know which would look best, but I'm afraid white would not be a good option. I think a Matte Gunmetal would look good.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm searching for a wrap in "chrome shadow" or "polished gunmetal" or "hyper black" whatever you want to call it like the old BMW shadowline trim used to be. When it was real anodized metal, not plastic. I would love to wrap my chrome in that color. I think it would look awesome on my blue...and also on your midnight silver. Sounds like you and I have the same idea.

Similar to the finish on an E39 M5 wheels or a GS 350 FSport wheel:

Reactions: 1 person

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm going to do the chrome delete on my midnight silver m3.. but I don't really like the look of the black - think it looks cheap. I'm leaning towards using a matte grey or matte gunmetal vinyl instead which will give the appearance the trim is still metal but would be a darker metal color to match the monotone silver paint color.

Has anyone done this? Would love to see pics though I haven't found any yet.

Also had a crazy idea - what about matte white? i can't really visualize it.. but might be unique? ha

I was thinking about doing the chrome delete on my MSM M3 as well, but opted against it. On MSM, I think that black or gunmetal would look good only if you also have dark wheels. If you have the performance wheels, then I think the stock chrome looks awesome as they accent each other.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
On MSM, I think that black or gunmetal would look good only if you also have dark wheels. If you have the performance wheels, then I think the stock chrome looks awesome as they accent each other.
I like contrast and particularly find this true with MSM - I think the chrome is a great contrast to the dark silver. But I also understand that trim color is totally a matter of personal taste.

MP3

Country
Country
Doing a chrome delete and changing the chrome to gunmetal would be a waste of time and/or money in my opinion. It wouldn't look too different.

I think white is a super cool idea, but I wouldn't go matte.

davidericlee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
To update everyone I ended up buying a few sheets of "matte grey aluminium" vinyl from rvinyl.com and went on to experiment last night. I have to say - i love the result! It's a very subtle change - but definitely custom and something that any other M3 owner would notice! I will do the tesla logos as well as chrome side markers in the same vinyl.

6966242570976998856.jpg 6032340939236520565.jpg 3021273651914724214.jpg
I've only done 1 door but it was extremely straightforward and simple. This video helped a ton:
Wondering now though - would it be easier to just get some cans of plasti-dip and simply spray the trim items? Seems like a lot less work has anyone tried it?

I also plan to get the grey rims over at tsportline so they will match the new trim colors beautifully.

The mirrors will be tough - but I may just have a vinyl shop do those for a couple hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

davidericlee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
wanted to update everyone here as I just successfully plasti-dipped my chrome for a unique chrome delete that's more sophisticated than simply changing everything to black. I love the look as it still has a stock feel but adds a bit of differentiation and style. I used Gunmetal as a base spray (4 coats) and then topped it with Raw Titanium pearl coating (3 coats). Next step is to coat the door handles, side cameras and badges the same color.
IMG_20190312_215452.jpg IMG_20190312_215512.jpg IMG_20190312_223046.jpg IMG_20190312_223111.jpg IMG_20190312_223150.jpg

This was much simpler than trying to vinyl wrap all the complex curves on the mirrors and only cost me $60 and one afternoon! Plasti dip is also way easier to remove so you can change your style or go back to stock chrome anytime you want!

Definitely give it a try. These videos helped:
how to spray smooth plasti dip without texture
chrome delete model s

Reactions: 3 people

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looks fantastic! Very similar to the look I'm going for. The right color, but I would like a bit shinier. Can you clear plastidip to add some shine?

Also, how hard is it going to be to do the door handles?

Could you post some pics in the sun when you are able to? That would be fantastic.

Thank you!

davidericlee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Looks fantastic! Very similar to the look I'm going for. The right color, but I would like a bit shinier. Can you clear plastidip to add some shine?

Also, how hard is it going to be to do the door handles?

Could you post some pics in the sun when you are able to? That would be fantastic.

Thank you!
Thanks! I actually peeled it all off already haha :) but I will say the stuff was so easy to remove it took me like 5 minutes to peel it all off! They do offer a plasti dip clear coat that adds shine as well.

It was my first plasti dip and I felt I could do an even better job so I removed it and plan to re-paint it this weekend. I'm also changing the color a bit - the plasti dip pearl top coat was harder than I thought to get smooth so I'm just going to do the entire thing in the brass monkey color. Looks to be very similar to my original job but a slightly warmer grey/aluminum color which is what I was going for in the first place.

1552661955671.png

I plan on doing the door handles and emblems in the same color. For the door handles I'm going to have to do them in 2 stages: 1) the outside of the handle and 2) by propping the handle open and spraying the inside. I think with enough coats the plasti dip should hold up just fine.

I'll send photos of the new color once it's one but I def recommend doing this with plasti dip as it was so easy to put on and remove.

davidericlee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey guys check out this post in the "what did I do to my car today" thread to see full photos - but the chrome delete in matte charcoal grey turned out fantastic! Let me know if anyone has questions - I love it!

Just got her back today... here is what I had done! Trying to keep it as stock as possible with a little extra flare - since Elon isn't modifying the $35k version I need to stand out from the pack since mine was almost 2x the cost!

I still need to bring her back in next week for a follow up appointment with the 'doctor' but everything looks great.
View attachment 23766 View attachment 23767 View attachment 23768 View attachment 23769 View attachment 23770 View attachment 23771 View attachment 23772 View attachment 23773 View attachment 23774

- Full PPF on front clip (hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors and headlights
- 35% tint all around, 50% tint on the windshield
- Tesla badges removed - went with the performance TESLA logo from Abstract Ocean - waiting to vinyl wrap that and the original front T logo
- Chrome delete with 3M matte charcoal metallic - will wrap badges in this as well
- Paint correction and ceramic coating all around - detailer said there were significant issues with the stock paint job
- LED replacement on all interior lights - blue lights for front footwells
- Space X puddle lights on all 4 doors

Coming up this weekend: install of 8" JL Microsub+

All work so far has been done by @wrappedchicago... good work but the guy does it in his spare time so expect delays.

If you guys have any questions let me know!

davidericlee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
photosssss

Attachments

• IMG_20190312_141755.jpg
    IMG_20190312_141755.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 1,373
  • IMG_20190323_175445.jpg
    IMG_20190323_175445.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_20190323_175240.jpg
    IMG_20190323_175240.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 1,252
  • IMG_20190323_175201.jpg
    IMG_20190323_175201.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 1,210
  • IMG_20190312_141717.jpg
    IMG_20190312_141717.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 1,208
  • IMG_20190323_175150.jpg
    IMG_20190323_175150.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_20190323_124248 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190323_124248 (1).jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IMG_20190323_124227.jpg
    IMG_20190323_124227.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 1,197

LordMelkor

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks! I actually peeled it all off already haha :) but I will say the stuff was so easy to remove it took me like 5 minutes to peel it all off! They do offer a plasti dip clear coat that adds shine as well.

It was my first plasti dip and I felt I could do an even better job so I removed it and plan to re-paint it this weekend. I'm also changing the color a bit - the plasti dip pearl top coat was harder than I thought to get smooth so I'm just going to do the entire thing in the brass monkey color. Looks to be very similar to my original job but a slightly warmer grey/aluminum color which is what I was going for in the first place.

View attachment 23315
I plan on doing the door handles and emblems in the same color. For the door handles I'm going to have to do them in 2 stages: 1) the outside of the handle and 2) by propping the handle open and spraying the inside. I think with enough coats the plasti dip should hold up just fine.

I'll send photos of the new color once it's one but I def recommend doing this with plasti dip as it was so easy to put on and remove.

Did you ever end up trying brass monkey/bronze?

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did you ever end up trying brass monkey/bronze?

Not sure if this helps, but I did my wheels in Brass Monkey and loved the look!

This was my first dip and some takeaways:

1. Plan lots of time.
2. Definitely wear a respirator. Stinky!
3. Make sure to rotate the wheels for even coverage. Or be very deliberate spraying upside down.
4. Plan on 3-4 coats of clear. I did 2. Not shiny enough.
5. Definitely lay a THICK coat on the tires. This is much easier to clean off than a thin coat. Counterintuitive, but you want to spray the tires heavily.
6. The "release" you put on the tires appears to be nothing more than Armor All. Seriously. I haven't used Armor All in a while, but I'm almost 100% sure that's what it is based on color, consistency and smell.
7. The plasti-dip is rubber, and will collect dirt faster than painted wheels. My wheels darkened over time. Would recommend using this to try out a color and then committing to full paint / powdercoat. Or plan on changing it again with another dip. Or cleaning the dip and applying another few coats. It's not like painted wheels.

But for $60 including the clear, can't beat it!

Last edited:

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.