microDisplay - Configurable hidden gauges for your dash! - Q&A

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've slowly released my in-dash gauges for Model 3 and Model Y but never made a formal announcement, and would like a thread for any questions or discussion.

The microDisplay can display thousands of signals from your Tesla's CAN bus and is engineer specifically to be hidden within the airvent...but because of its wireless connection you can place them wherever you want!

It's a modular system so you can add additional displays and features as you like. In the near future I hope to have it more polished with easy phone or web configuration and cases. But it is available now for those who can't wait!

Please visit http://www.jwardell.com/microdisplay/ for more information and to order.

More details here:

I would love to know your questions, comments, and suggestions below

Reactions: 9 people

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The only comment I might have from looking at the videos: Surround the displays with soft material like foam, so it won't dent the soft dashboard material, and so it won't vibrate or squeak. For that reason also, the USB cable (if included) shouldn't be the super thin hard plastic kind.

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You mention blind spot monitoring in a video and have it listed twice in your personal setup. Exactly what is that providing/showing?
Here is an early implementation of the blindspot monitoring where an arrow would appear on the µdisplay.

Reactions: 2 people

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The only comment I might have from looking at the videos: Surround the displays with soft material like foam, so it won't dent the soft dashboard material, and so it won't vibrate or squeak. For that reason also, the USB cable (if included) shouldn't be the super thin hard plastic kind.

They are very snug when installed in the air vent, so they don't move or vibrate. I DO intend to have a case for the displays in the future but chances are it would have to be removed for air vent installation anyway.

You mention blind spot monitoring in a video and have it listed twice in your personal setup. Exactly what is that providing/showing?

The blind spot signal is activated when the center display paints a car in red...so only when you have your turn signal on and the car decides a car in your blind spot. I'm sure it might change with future updates, but it's not as often as you think. When it does though, you can draw red arrows on the display, or if you have an LED board you can light up an LED. The advantage is you have something much closer to your vision then the center display, which is much further from your vision looking at the mirrors.

And come to think of it, you could flash the bargraphs red for blind spot warnings if you want something really noticeable!

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
And come to think of it, you could flash the bargraphs red for blind spot warnings if you want something really noticeable!

Be very careful when using flash to be noticed. Flashing lights can set off epilepsy in some people.

Can you perhaps roll the display -- make the bars appear and disappear individually so it looks like it's moving? Gives you the visibility of motion which is just as attention-grabbing as flash. Plus you could roll in the direction of the affected blind spot which may increase the speed at which the driver figures out what the heck is going on.

Reactions: 2 people

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Be very careful when using flash to be noticed. Flashing lights can set off epilepsy in some people.

Can you perhaps roll the display -- make the bars appear and disappear individually so it looks like it's moving? Gives you the visibility of motion which is just as attention-grabbing as flash. Plus you could roll in the direction of the affected blind spot which may increase the speed at which the driver figures out what the heck is going on.

Probably not a good idea to add a bunch of blinking lights to your dashboard in the first place if you are sensitive to them. All the gagues do change rapidly. (Alternately, they are completely programmable, so you could make them as slow as you want)
Interesting idea to add sequential directional indications to the bargraphs. They aren't capable of that right now.

Reactions: 1 person

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Probably not a good idea to add a bunch of blinking lights to your dashboard in the first place if you are sensitive to them. All the gagues do change rapidly. (Alternately, they are completely programmable, so you could make them as slow as you want)
Interesting idea to add sequential directional indications to the bargraphs. They aren't capable of that right now.

I believe the reason a lot of manufacturers use a tiny stationary orange light to the mirror for blind spot warning is so it won't jump out at you while you're driving, making you look that direction, and distracting you. It's designed so you generally won't even notice it unless you glance that direction, such as when you're (supposedly) checking the mirror before changing lanes.

So I would suggest doing the same, for the same reason. Use an unusual shape or color so it sits there and glows gently as a reminder, but doesn't take attention away from driving. Moving and/or flashing lights should be reserved for stuff like an imminent crash alert of some kind.

I'm not trying to tell you how to customize your own car interior, just saying to keep in mind that auto companies paid people a lot of money to figure this stuff out, so you may as well use what they learned for your own benefit.

PaulK

Country
Country
I love the idea of having more data available. It would be very interesting to know the battery temp, and see it change during high power or extended regen.

I’d also love to know when resistive cabin heat is active. Also if recirc is on, I find myself tapping on the fan icon to open the climate info just to see if recirc is on or off.

That said, I wish there was a way to force recirc on with a single tap. If I see a skunk or nasty truck belching coal, by the time I get into the control it’s often too late. But I know that is beyond the scope of Teslax and micro display.

When I have time to tackle the small project I’ll be signing up to buy one! Thanks for your hard work on this.

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I love the idea of having more data available. It would be very interesting to know the battery temp, and see it change during high power or extended regen.

I’d also love to know when resistive cabin heat is active. Also if recirc is on, I find myself tapping on the fan icon to open the climate info just to see if recirc is on or off.

That said, I wish there was a way to force recirc on with a single tap. If I see a skunk or nasty truck belching coal, by the time I get into the control it’s often too late. But I know that is beyond the scope of Teslax and micro display.

When I have time to tackle the small project I’ll be signing up to buy one! Thanks for your hard work on this.

I agree, to me the battery temperature in the colder months is the single most informative piece of data that I want to monitor. It tells you how much you can regen, or how far away you are from having any, and how fast you can charge, if at all.

There are a lot of hidden touch sequences that Tesla as in the UI. For example, you can drag on the temperature and fan to adjust them immediately. You can hold down the fan to turn off. Maybe there is something for recirc....if not, it's a perfect thing to tweet Elon about.

Ren001

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have received my CANServer yesterday. Tried to install it today - but there is no module underneath the passenger seat! Looks like my european M3P (built 6/2019) has a different electrical layout than yours.
Any hints? Has anyone else in Europe been successful in finding the module where one can connect the CANserver (not the OBD version)?

20200808_142718.jpg

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have received my CANServer yesterday. Tried to install it today - but there is no module underneath the passenger seat! Looks like my european M3P (built 6/2019) has a different electrical layout than yours.
Any hints? Has anyone else in Europe been successful in finding the module where one can connect the CANserver (not the OBD version)?

View attachment 35138

Oh wow! There should be an identical one under the driver's seat as well. Can any other folks in europe confirm?

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is the problem with Tesla continuously changing software, and hardware too. Asking lot of folks to check and figure out when the design change occurred, and hope I can research an alternate location. Hopefully most people also have the OBD harness to plug into the console as well.

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The software we've all been waiting for has been released! You no longer need programming skills to configure or update displays! The Canserver can now be setup with any web browser, to configure microDisplays, to pick CAN signals, and even record logs to SD card!

Reactions: 3 people

PaulK

Country
Country
Great news, And thank you!

So I understand this correctly...
If I buy the $99 server (OBD+Chassis) and one micro display, I will be able to use the (free?) TesLax app to view any/all of the signals?

Plus if I purchase the micro display for $59 it will display any one signal I select using a web based interface?

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great news, And thank you!

So I understand this correctly...
If I buy the $99 server (OBD+Chassis) and one micro display, I will be able to use the (free?) TesLax app to view any/all of the signals?

Plus if I purchase the micro display for $59 it will display any one signal I select using a web based interface?

Essentially yes, I believe you have to unlock one of the paid subscription tiers in Teslax to add any signal.