Michigan Roads SUCK!!!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OMG Michigan roads!!!

So, Here I am loving my Model 3 Performance AWD. So far 2654 miles and trying to get through my first Michigan winter. I am driving a Cadillac AWD on all the terrible days (not a bad beater car), and I long for driving the Tesla every chance I get with mild, but clear weather.

Last week I found myself on I-94 heading to Detroit, then the inevitable (for Michigan) happened ..... POT HOLE at 70 MPH!!! Surprising the tires stayed to together and I was able to safely exit to the shoulder. I Called Tesla service and had a flat bed on site in under a hour. Thought I would post some pics for everyone, so you can feel as bad as I did. After the fact, I purchased 19x8.5" Niche Misano wheels in Grey finish and General 245/40/R19 all season tires. These will be my bad weather set until Spring, then back to 20" wheels and Pilot tires.

I am pretty happy with the fit, and look of the new wheels. Everything included (TPMS, Metal Stems, Rims, tires, mount, balance and 3 year road hazard insurance) cost me $2099.

Now I am off to a wheel repair place to see if they can fix the factory rims. I have had good luck in the past with them so am expecting some good news.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yikes! Glad I didn't hit that on I-94. I guess I've been lucky. I've curbed my 20 in rims a bit and I have run over some pot holes. But no obvious rim bending.

I am curious if your new rims and tires improve your mileage?

I put 20 inch Michelin Alpins on for winter. I'm kind of thinking I'll use up whatever tire first and then move to 18 in rims with all seasons for better ride/fuel economy. This could take a few years - or not - if I break up the rims like that. Not sure I'd repair that.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ouch! That must have been a really hard hit. I'm also surprised that the tire sidewall didn't rip.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not a bit winter tire guy. We seem to get flashes so snow here anymore, and having several cars I can drive, I just figured some all season tires would work in a pinch and they are 50K life tread. That way I don't need to spend 3/4 of winter on semi clean roads wearing down costly winter tires.

I have the same tires on my Cadillac AWD and I don't have any issues with the snowy days. I figured, I would do the same.

As for Mileage, I need to look at that in the coming weeks. The combo is much lighter than then factory wheels, which will help, but I think the factory Pilot tires would be better Kw/hr tires.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not a bit winter tire guy. We seem to get flashes so snow here anymore, and having several cars I can drive, I just figured some all season tires would work in a pinch and they are 50K life tread. That way I don't need to spend 3/4 of winter on semi clean roads wearing down costly winter tires.
Performance winter tires are for cold, ice, slush, and wet pavement so I do not think there is a problem running those on semi clean roads.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Performance winter tires are for cold, ice, slush, and wet pavement so I do not think there is a problem running those on semi clean roads.
I'll second this statement. You already have summer performance tires. For the cold months, get "winter performance" tires instead of "snow" tires. They're not as good in the snow as snow tires, but they're better than all-season tires in snow, wet, and dry conditions when the temperature's cold.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is one of my major concerns with AP/EAP. Since AP insists on traveling only centered between the lane markings, where it hits all the pot holes,

Last edited:

DanSz

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Potholes are the state plant. Not pot. Potholes.

You should know better than to drive on I-94 after a thaw and not be on the lookout for dangerous road depressions. Live and learn, I guess.

I’ve lost two tires to potholes. It’s these damn low profile tires! Not enough rubber between the rim and the road.

Taney71

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is one of my major concerns with AP/EAP. Since AP insists on traveling only centered between the lane markings, where it hits all the pot holes,
Agreed. It sucks but I have had pretty good luck (?) traveling on 94. My commute is from Ann Arbor to Dearborn and back nearly every day. Most holes tend to get fixed in that section of 94 pretty quickly.

Taney71

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just want to give a heads up that Motor City Auto Spa is a great place to check out in Southeast Michigan for tinting, PFF, ceramic coating, etc. I just got the full hood PFF and ceramic done by them (perviously they tinted my back window). Great guys and company.