Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Member Dashcam Videos

34K views 160 replies 52 participants last post by  iChris93 
#1 Ā·
I caught this on my ride home last night...love the feature

#2 Ā·
0:03 seconds, Autopilot: "Let's make a hard right into this pole!"
0:03.5 seconds, Me: "Oh no you don't!"

On that note, I was able to get 10 days before 'gray x' on the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 64 GB.

#3 Ā·
0:03 seconds, Autopilot: "Let's make a hard right into this pole!"
0:03.5 seconds, Me: "Oh no you don't!"
And that's why you only use Autopilot on limited-access divided highways with visible lane markings.

#14 Ā·
This is also where I would hope and expect the neural net to maybe learn and help in this situation. I posted and noted this back in October as well. First and only real road trip. The drive sucked in TX as I fought each exit, got in to Oklahoma and it didn't try to split the difference and that was when I noticed OK paints the striped line through the exit and realized TX doesn't.

Reactions: Gatornail and Dr. J
#16 Ā·
Yes this centering behavior is unexpected and at least where we live there are plenty of seems that look like lanes.

I agree this shy away from cars is a good idea. This autopilot stiff is hard!

#17 Ā·
Thank God for ABS! It's hard to tell from this footage because at the point I'm braking there is nothing along side to see the amount of deceleration. However I was full on the ABS system and would of hit this guy if I didn't brake hard. Doesn't look like much but it was a hole different story inside the car.....

#23 Ā·
I went up to Seattle this morning and back (about 160 miles each way), and as I was leaving Seattle, had this happen, and yes, it was as close as it looked!

@MelindaV,

WOW! I watched this vid (I'm not kidding) 3 or 4 times........even though I KNOW it's coming I STILL can't believe that car actually fit between that car on your left front quarter in the immediate adjacent lane and you.
Unbelievable they attempted that move and so so glad YOU are ok and your 3 is safe and sound with no damage!
Good work on the followup and door knock!;)

Ski

Reactions: MelindaV
#24 Ā·
@MelindaV,

WOW! I watched this vid (I'm not kidding) 3 or 4 times........even though I KNOW it's coming I STILL can't believe that car actually fit between that car on your left front quarter in the immediate adjacent lane and you.
Unbelievable they attempted that move and so so glad YOU are ok and your 3 is safe and sound with no damage!
Good work on the followup and door knock!;)

Ski
I know! it was pretty crazy IRL too!

#27 Ā·
Dashcam video shows someone running a red light, and the transverse car proceeds to hit multiple cars...except the Tesla that brakes suspiciously hard and very nearly missing the incident.
People are saying 'it was the wiley driver's reaction speed'...
I don't think so. If they lifted their foot from the accelerator there would likely have been regen brake lights with light deceleration prior to the hard braking event...instead we see the lights come on the instant the hard braking event occurs.
...was this AEB or a good driver?
I wish the driver was able to comment (and maybe will).
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5fT2753EgQ
Trigger warning...does involve a crash.

#28 Ā·
Wow, that's some wreck. Just how good is emergency braking with cross traffic? (Tesla's first fatality in Florida involved cross traffic - an earlier MS on autopilot hitting a semi). The driver would have to have been riding the brake (not unheard of) in order to react that fast. Or maybe had checked the traffic in that direction (also not unheard of) and saw it coming in time to react. Either way, such suppositions are inconclusive without knowing what the car saw via the logs.

#30 Ā·
The brake lights came on about halfway between 6 and 7 seconds. Looking at that frame closely, the first collision had already occurred. So it could be automated emergency braking; or it could be the driver reacting to the sound of the first crash being so close; or it could be the driver reacting to a proximity alert.

Iā€™ve seen videos before (mostly Model S or Xj where that third one happens - the car gives an audible alert an instant before a crash happens very close by.

#31 Ā·
I've seen videos before (mostly Model S or Xj where that third one happens - the car gives an audible alert an instant before a crash happens very close by.
that could be. I've had a crash warning (the BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP warning) while on the freeway, and a weird surface level 90Ā° approaching on-ramp and the screen showed a car coming toward the freeway on the on-ramp (essentially surface street at that point) in RED with a trajectory aimed at my car.

Tesla engineers are smart.

#33 Ā· (Edited)
I got the 2019.5.4 update today with the new 3-camera TeslaCam capability, so I decided to put together a couple of short comparison clips of the TeslaCam against a $70 Aukey DR02 dashcam.

The TeslaCam with the new software records with the narrow-view front camera and the two fender-mounted side-rear looking cameras integrated to the turn signal repeaters. The recordings are saved as separate MP4 files of 1280x960 resolution at 36fps, one file for each camera per minute.

The Aukey records in 1920x1080 resolution at 30fps, one file per 10 minutes.

I have combined them together into two 4k videos that you can view here:

Daytime

Night time

Hot take: TeslaCam front view is fairly narrow, but the side-rear views are wide and cover a lot. Most accidents should be visible except ones where all the action is in the 8-11 o'clock or 1-4 o'clock direction. The image quality is compressed and blocky with terrible color during the day, but surprisingly good at night. License plates at close range are readable. I'll probably continue to run my Aukey dashcam as well, so I have a much wider angle front view captured as well.

#47 Ā·
I guess the semi had better things to do than let me over.

Reactions: garsh
#50 Ā·
Yeah, I do not know what his problem was.

#52 Ā· (Edited)
Similar to @iChris93 video earlier, I had this happen about 3 weeks back. I was on I35 SB coming out of OK almost to the Red River/TX border. I was letting the car drive and had been driving very good, probably 75 MPH, speed limit was 70. All of a sudden approaching another 18 wheeler, the guy decides to be a jack ass. If he hadn't used his blinker I'd say otherwise, but it seemed to be a very planned and deliberate move to do nothing more than cut me off. It's clear to see the only vehicle that is in front of him is the van, which also had just passed him and wasn't in his way. I took over and was surprised I wasn't cut off on the right after I decided to go around.

To be fair - and I wasn't a jack ass after going around - the next video from the Teslacam:

Reactions: iChris93
#54 Ā·
I think the van was probably over-taking the semi for the second or third time and the previous times he got in front of the truck and slowed down. This time when the trucker realized he was doing it again, he said, "not again"! You will notice the van doesn't have much (if any) speed on the semi.

Reactions: JWardell
#55 Ā·
Confirmed: Autopilot does not detect flocks of turkeys.

(I tried editing in footage from the repeater cams so you can see some of the other turkey-mischief that was going on while I was stopped, but there was too much corruption.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.