Member Dashcam Videos

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • Please post your personal videos into a single thread to keep things organized. Thanks

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
0:03 seconds, Autopilot: "Let's make a hard right into this pole!"
0:03.5 seconds, Me: "Oh no you don't!"

On that note, I was able to get 10 days before 'gray x' on the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 64 GB.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And that's why you only use Autopilot on limited-access divided highways with visible lane markings.
The scientist in me says no. :triumph:
Yes I tried it again today. Traffic was moving slower and there was less glare, it still did it in that spot. The lane markings were visible, and failing that it should have tracked the car in front.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I tried it again today. Traffic was moving slower and there was less glare, it still did it in that spot. The lane markings were visible, and failing that it should have tracked the car in front.
because it is attempting to center itself in the available pavement (the intersection) when the right white line ends

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if you are expecting 100% perfection you will be very disappointed, BETA is the operative word! while the system is pretty good almost all of the time it cannot be depended on to be completely foolproof. misung or attempting to use the system beyond it's capabilities is a fools game. the car needs the lines if the roads lines disappear the system fails and you need to assume control. even under perfect conditions you should be alert and ready to take over at any moment.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
because it is attempting to center itself in the available pavement (the intersection) when the right white line ends
That's reasonable, but I've crossed many intersections with longer gaps in the lines and it continues on just fine.
be alert and ready to take over at any moment.
Of course! Hand is always on the wheel. I just want to see why it does it at this intersection and not the 6 other very similar intersections I pass around there. In 6k miles the worst it usually does is casually try to take a highway exit unintentionally, never a sudden change in direction.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just want to see why it does it at this intersection and not the 6 other very similar intersections I pass around there.
I might have a theory on that.

On the highways I drive, I pass several exits. Some have dotted lines, and some have no lines. When there are dotted, lines, the car has no problems avoiding the exit. When there are no lines, it sometimes stays in the lane, and sometimes it thinks the lane is widening. For the times that it manages to stay in the lane, I've noticed that the asphalt/concrete has a pretty straight, visible seam between the travel lane and the exit. I think the car is interpreting that seam as a "line" when it can see it.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
since the majority of my commute (AP driving experience) is in a center lane between semi trucks, I wish it was a little better at centering itself between lines AND solid things :screamcat:
I wish it could "shy away" from vehicles in the lane beside you, instead of snuggling up close. :truck:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Boy, if FSD requires the locality to do a half-decent job of lane marking, we're sunk around here. :)
This is also where I would hope and expect the neural net to maybe learn and help in this situation. I posted and noted this back in October as well. First and only real road trip. The drive sucked in TX as I fought each exit, got in to Oklahoma and it didn't try to split the difference and that was when I noticed OK paints the striped line through the exit and realized TX doesn't.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is also where I would hope and expect the neural net to maybe learn and help in this situation.
I'm pretty sure that the current neural net doesn't take into account "history". That is, I think all decisions are made using only the current camera images, and not making use of previously-obtained images. If/when Tesla expands the training to include historical data (and by "historical", I mean a few snapshots from the last few seconds or maybe minutes), then it can make some better decisions in these sorts of situations where the lane suddenly "widens".

But I think this can mostly be solved by storing much better and more detailed map data. Just tell the neural net "there's an exit here" so it doesn't mistakenly believe that the lane is getting wider. The nice thing about just having better maps is that they don't really take up a whole lot of space, and they don't require the immense CPU processing power that a neural net does. The downside is when real life doesn't match the map (ex - construction), but you can always "fall back" to the neural net for handling the unexpected situations.

Richt

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes this centering behavior is unexpected and at least where we live there are plenty of seems that look like lanes.

I agree this shy away from cars is a good idea. This autopilot stiff is hard!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank God for ABS! It's hard to tell from this footage because at the point I'm braking there is nothing along side to see the amount of deceleration. However I was full on the ABS system and would of hit this guy if I didn't brake hard. Doesn't look like much but it was a hole different story inside the car.....

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to kick off a thread to share some TeslaCam videos, didn't realize one already existed.

Here are a couple recent videos.

ATV Running Multiple Red Lights

Car Running a Stop Sign

Last edited: