Meet TARS: Our Dream Car (Stormtrooper Model 3)

Paint the Calipers Red?

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife and I have finally finished our Model 3 Modifications. We started with a Long Range Pearl Model 3, 18' Aero Wheels, Autopilot and Self Driving Added. We started by tinting the car at 30% all around (Monumental Workx in San Diego, would highly recommend). We also had the car dechromed to mimic the Stormtrooper I have seen a lot of on the Model X. We opted against Paint Protection of any kind as we could not justify the price, and this will be our daily driver for the next 10 years. We ordered off market 18' "turbine" wheels from TSportsline and just had them put on yesterday. They look incredible and working with TSportsline was quick and easy. On the interior we had the center consoled wrapped (this is a must, interior keeps so much cleaner) and for the screen we purchased the matte Abstract Ocean screen protector (the new one that just came out that fits the bottom curve perfectly). We are extremely happy with the look and the performance of the car, the only question we have left is do we paint the calipers...

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife and I have finally finished our Model 3 Modifications. We started with a Long Range Pearl Model 3, 18' Aero Wheels, Autopilot and Self Driving Added. We started by tinting the car at 30% all around (Monumental Workx in San Diego, would highly recommend). We also had the car dechromed to mimic the Stormtrooper I have seen a lot of on the Model X. We opted against Paint Protection of any kind as we could not justify the price, and this will be our daily driver for the next 10 years. We ordered off market 18' "turbine" wheels from TSportsline and just had them put on yesterday. They look incredible and working with TSportsline was quick and easy. On the interior we had the center consoled wrapped (this is a must, interior keeps so much cleaner) and for the screen we purchased the matte Abstract Ocean screen protector (the new one that just came out that fits the bottom curve perfectly). We are extremely happy with the look and the performance of the car, the only question we have left is do we paint the calipers...

Yes, paint the calipers. I got some work done at Monumental Workx and they knew a shop down the road from them that painted calipers so they drove my car to the shop and had it painted for $500.
img_1461-edited-jpg.14039

img_1441-jpg.14040

zivicIRL

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yes, paint the calipers. I got some work done at Monumental Workx and they knew a shop down the road from them that painted calipers so they drove my car to the shop and had it painted for $500.
View attachment 14039
View attachment 14040
Love the car man, quick question what option did you go with lowering your car and where did you get it done. I am picking up my model 3 in 2 weeks here in San Diego!!!

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Paint Yes, Red No... too common and imitates the Performance Models IMO.

If you want to try a DIY it's really pretty easy once you get the car jacked up, kit comes with everything you need to clean, prep and paint for 1/10 the cost of a pro job.

http://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love the car man, quick question what option did you go with lowering your car and where did you get it done. I am picking up my model 3 in 2 weeks here in San Diego!!!
Nice!! I went with the UP Moderates and got them installed at AutoFashion on Miramar Rd. They charged me $400.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Paint the calipers, sure. Red? Sure but lots of red out there already. Yellow? Deep yellow. Awesome behind black wheels.

2019940d-00cc-4376-897b-545f828c4350-jpeg.14270

d554e96e-a782-43a7-a5f6-0f6cc0a2e112-jpeg.14271

Last edited:

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did paint my calipers red. It wasn't about matching performance or being too common. It was the best match for my black car with red appliques on center caps and front and rear emblems. Was debating on yellow, which could have been a nice match to my CA legacy plates. I think color is to everybody his own.
Got it done by a shop for $340 in LA. Wasn't worth my time and hustle to do it myself at that price, especially since I don't have a lift.

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Paint the calipers, sure. Red? Sure but lots of red out there already. Yellow? Deep yellow. Awesome behind black wheels.
Not an awesome combo with a white car.
I did paint my calipers red. It wasn't about matching performance or being too common. It was the best match for my black car with red appliques on center caps and front and rear emblems. Was debating on yellow, which could have been a nice match to my CA legacy plates. I think color is to everybody his own.
Got it done by a shop for $340 in LA. Wasn't worth my time and hustle to do it myself at that price, especially since I don't have a lift.
Thats a really good price. That’s the reason why I chose red since it goes well with my color combo. There might be a reason why one color is too common because maybe it’s what looks the best.

theonlysamiam

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Where in LA were you able to get it done for $340??

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know I am in Texas but how does one find a shop competent to do this to a Tesla?
I have no idea who to ask or where to start?

JohnTc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know I am in Texas but how does one find a shop competent to do this to a Tesla?
Any shop that can paint any other car calipers can do it on a Tesla. Nothing different. I just printed out directions showing where the jack points are and provided it to them.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with @JohnTc above. Nothing special to it. In order to find a good shop I'd start by asking around at places that specialize in in aftermarket mods. Tint shops, wrap shops, performance shops, even paint and body work places. Check other car forums for local shops that do this kind of work also. Get a few recommendations and go visit for an estimate. I'd say once you find the place that everyone takes their Ferrari's or Lambo's then your in the right ballpark.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with @JohnTc above. Nothing special to it. In order to find a good shop I'd start by asking around at places that specialize in in aftermarket mods. Tint shops, wrap shops, performance shops, even paint and body work places. Check other car forums for local shops that do this kind of work also. Get a few recommendations and go visit for an estimate. I'd say once you find the place that everyone takes their Ferrari's or Lambo's then your in the right ballpark.
Yeah, they usually don't let my kind in those places :oops:
I will have to ask around